The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 12, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Grendl

Help with Remington-Beals 1858 (1861?)

Hey gang, I posted some questions about getting this back to shooting shape on another form and am now being aggressively pursued by someone wanting to make a trade. He seems great, but my wife says I'm missing something and will end up the loser. Any ideas about the value of this old relic? Would it be cost prohibitive or ill advised for me to make it shootable like this fella says he'll do himself?

I've got tons more pictures since he keeps requesting them. Also, the 4 digit serial number under the barrel starts with 6 and matches the serial number under the left grip. There is a PR stamp on the left side of the barrel and near it on the frame.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Grendl; March 12, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Some questions...

Are the parts not shown in the photo missing? or were they just removed from the revolver for the photo?

Do you have any sentimental or emotional connection to the revolver?

Does the action cycle freely?

What, precisely is your goal with the revolver?
Old March 12, 2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Grendl

Sorry, they're missing. Trigger and hammer function normally. Someone bobbed and drilled the hammer at some point in the past. I do not know if the pawl or stop function properly.

Sentimental value? My wife is attached to it. She's very anti-gun so everything else is locked up out of sight and never mentioned. This one sits out in the den so it does represent a moral victory for me. I hope we're on a slippery slope. The C96 comes out next, then the `03, etc.

Last edited by Grendl; March 12, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Hawg

That is an original Beals(that's why he wants it). It appears to have been converted to cartridge which is why the hammer was cut down and has a hole in it.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
sltm1

Easy answer, Uberti reproduction parts can be whittled on and antiqued to make that shooter work and look almost original. All missing parts could be remanufactured by a gunsmith, but the cost would be prohibitive. And, yes I could do the work if you'd like (using Uberti parts), I've made a sort of hobby out of refurbishing antiques (I've posted pic's of a couple of my successes here and on other sites....only.....here LOL). Normally I make parts that are missing but your gun would be extensive and as I said expensive to do. If you're interested send me a PM or email.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hawg and SLTM + 1

I am thinking that the existing parts have collector value because it is a Beals. Even in the absense of the cylinder.

So if you don't specifically want to keep it and make it shootable you could sell the frame as it is, then go buy yourself a shooter (or five). I would do some research and then set the price at the top of the range maybe even over the top of the range for two reasons:

1. The remants appear to be in very good condition.

2. If you set the price high you will run off all of the folks who just want to buy it to turn around and sell it at a profit. The revolver deserves better than that.

If you want this one shooting, you could prolly do it for under 500.00. I am not a conversion expert, so I don't know the patterns that are available including which ones have a historically correct appearance.

The conversion parts will need to be refinished to make the work less obvious.

Others on the forum are far more versed in conversions and will wade in with advice on that score. The bottom line is that this is not the end of this revolver, which is good news.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 13, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Grendl

Thanks for all the info folks. I can't find anything similar on any of the three major auction sites, so I'm at a loss as to value, but it sounds like the wife was right. She'll never let me forget it ;-)
Old March 13, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
10851Man

Just send it to me and I will give it a really good home...