The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 4, 2000, 10:27 PM   #1
Dave R

Just bought this at the gun show. What can you tell me about when it was manufactured, any special traits, etc. I'm new to revolvers, so pardon any mistakes in terminology.

Serial number (on the cylinder swing-out, next to the yoke) 57494. Just below that, in larger type, is stamped C10.

4" barrel, adjustable sight.

Condition is pretty good. Some peening in the "stars" on the cylinder, but the DA functions properly. Locks tight.

The grips and trigger reach are SMALL. Let me know if a digital picture would help. Have digicam.
Old November 4, 2000, 11:19 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dave,

It was likely made somewhere between 1960 and 1988.

Pull off the grips and take a look at the bottom of the grip frame. There should be a set of numbers there. That set is actually the serial number.

If the number you posted (5 digits) actually is the serial number, then it was made sometime in 1959 and is actually something of an oddity in that the offical start of production of the 34-1 was in 1960.

What is on the crane cut may actually be the assembly floor numbers, which are used to keep frame and cylinder together during manufacturing.

J-frames are often marked just a little differently than the centerfire guns, which can be confusing as hell at times.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old November 5, 2000, 12:09 AM   #3
Dave R

Ah hah! Thanks for the tip. The bottom of the grip frame says:

M210933

On the right side of the grip frame are two other marks: an "A" in a circle, and a "3" in a heart.
Old November 5, 2000, 09:05 AM   #4
Steven Mace

Dave, based on the serial number you've posted your S&W Model 34-1 was made in 1982. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical