The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 16, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Granger

1800's sawed off

as

Last edited by Granger; July 17, 2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
w_houle

What kind is it? Might be able to buy a different barrel for it depending on what model it is.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:40 PM   #3
tony pasley

Possibly a C&R lic. it would be an antique
Old July 16, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
RJay

A C&R licence alone does not circumstance the ATF rules. It would be antique only if made on or prior to 1898. I think you have a useless firearm on your hands that could potentially put you in jail. You can't get a AOW tax stamp on something already made. Also you have to check out the state laws of your state. They can be more stringent than the ATF's.

Last edited by RJay; July 16, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:59 PM   #5
barnetmill

If it was me I would take a cutting torch or wheel and destroy the gun and dispose of it. What is the gun worth, I am sure it is less than a $1,000 in value and think what the costs are if you if the ATF gets ahold of you. It is quite likely that federal law enforcement types like homeland security read these forums.

If you are dead set on fixing it there may be a way. If you can think of someway to weld on some sort of barrel extension to make the barrel 18 inches long. If it is truely a very old gun it may be a breakdown model. If so separate the barrel portion from the receiver and take it separately to gunsmith without the rest of gun and get it fixed (Extended). If it does not breakdown, remove the barrel and take it separately to a gunsmith.
There still are potential violations of the law with the above approaches.
Goodluck
Old July 16, 2009, 11:48 PM   #6
SainthoodDenied

You can actually apply the weapon to the ATF by description and serial number since it is an antique and family heirloom. There are single weapons listed by serial number on the approved c&r list that were added for that reason.
I know of one personally, it is a pre 1898 winchester lever gun with a 13 inch barrel and magazine tube, it's factory lettered and the family got it registered through the ATF as a relic so they could legally keep it and it was also handed down through the family.
I'd call one of their offices and just ask around some general questions about it anyway.
Old July 17, 2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Granger

Chad!

You perfectly described our gun, does anyone have more info on how to do this?
Old July 17, 2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Hawg

Did you measure the barrel from the very end of the breech? If it's 14 inches instead of 13 it could be very rare and worth a chunk of change. Winchester made a small number of 92's with 14 inch barrels on special order because they were popular with trappers. Do not destroy it even if it was cut down with a hack saw. It can be restored. Contact the ATF and see what they have to say about it.

Tags
repeater rifle , sawed-off