The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 4, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1
sonogy47

Legal shotgun lengths

I inherited a sawed off 12 gauge shotgun. I just measured the barrel with a tape measure. It is 18.5 inches. The total length including the stock and barrel is 33.5. This is a correction to the barrel length I posted yesterday. I assumed it was shorter since it was sawed off.

Last edited by sonogy47; June 5, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2
comn-cents

how short? i think its a federal law nothing less than 18in.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:59 PM   #3
sonogy47

Shotgun Corrected Length

I just got out the tape measure and the barrel is 18.5 inches. The total length including barrel and stock is 33.5. This is a correction to the length I posted earlier. I should have measured before asking.

Last edited by sonogy47; June 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:18 AM   #4
SkyKing1

You're shotgun is in violation of the NFA and would send you directly to prison if you happened to use it in any capacity! Might I remind you that the BATFE along with the state of Wisconsin just sent a man to federal prison(Sandstone, MN)for 2-years simply for loaning out his AR-15 that malfunctioned and fired a three round burst! While I would love to argue that all federal firearms laws are illegal and a violation of the Second Amendment(they are)that still doesn't change the fact that the federal government is relieving otherwise squeaky clean Americans of their liberty for violating their illegal gun laws! My advice, contact an attorney to see if you're even safe in alerting your local sheriff's office as to the existence of the weapon so they can remove it(legally)from your home! I'm not kidding! Get rid of it....
Old June 5, 2009, 12:26 AM   #5
comn-cents

what kind of gun? Can the barrel be replaced?
Replace it and hammer that old barrel flat.
You don't even need to shoot it to get in trouble, just having it.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

What he said. Mere possession of that shotgun is a federal felony. If an LEO find you in possession of that shotgun, whether or not you used it in self defense, you will be going to jail and paying a lawyer a lot of money to try to get you the best deal possible.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:48 AM   #7
djohn

I think you should seperate the barrel from stock and make it a none functional for the time being.I would not want to be caught up with that.contact a lawyer afterwards.If you turn it in give it to them in pieces.
Old June 5, 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
KLRANGL

Quote:
I guess it's 14 inches or shorter.
Maybe you should measure it. You know, with a ruler. From the end of the chamber to the end of the barrel.
If it is under 18inches (or 18.5 if you wana be safe), ditch it ASAP.
Homework:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun

Its not the one in this pic per chance is it? Far right
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...8&d=1244172794
Old June 5, 2009, 05:04 AM   #9
BMSMA

Does anyone happen to know if there is a grandfather clause to the federal law or is it all shotguns...period?
Old June 5, 2009, 05:47 AM   #10
Hank D.

shot gun & rifle brl. size

I do believe that the standard for shot guns Is 18" or longer and 16" for rifles, Or very close to that!
Did not the ATF set up Randy Weaver back In 1992, In or on Ruby Ridge , Idaho, thay had him cut the barrol of a shot gun down to 17-1/2" or something like that. Just another case of our great Goverment looking out for us:barf: Semper FI to all, Hank D.
Old June 5, 2009, 06:10 AM   #11
tomgun

measure

i believe the measuring is with the longest round itll accept chambered,saftey on,insert a dowel down the barrell till it meets the round,mark it and measure.
Old June 5, 2009, 06:47 AM   #12
stargazer65

Hank check your keyboard I think it's on full auto.
Old June 5, 2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Doyle

Quote:
believe the measuring is with the longest round itll accept chambered,saftey on,insert a dowel down the barrell till it meets the round,mark it and measure
Not exactly. The method is accurate, but it is measured to the bolt face - not the round. Do it while unloaded.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:01 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Tomgun, That was a tactic used in some areas or by some LEO's...
Michigan officers often told folks that was how to measure in the 1970's...
Would it be legal to remove or shorten the firing pin and weld hole and/or have a steel plug welded in the breech so it cannot take a shell? That way he has both an heirloom as well as a neat knick knack conversation piece...
Brent
Old June 5, 2009, 08:05 AM   #15
johnwilliamson062

smash the barrel and see if you can get a replacement. Is this a possible antique exception? I never thought about antique SBRs and SBSs.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:08 AM   #16
grymster2007

Quote:
Might I remind you that the BATFE along with the state of Wisconsin just sent a man to federal prison(Sandstone, MN)for 2-years simply for loaning out his AR-15 that malfunctioned and fired a three round burst!
If you're talking about Olofson, I think he did more than just lend out a weapon that just happened to malfunction and shoot automatically. This case will be different in that the OP inherited an illegal weapon rather than personally making it illegal and if he immediately comes forward to turn it in, he should not be prosecuted.
Old June 5, 2009, 08:40 AM   #17
skydiver3346

Sawed off Shotgun?

Hi Sonogy47,
I believe you are in serious trouble if you are "caught" with this shotgun.
Whether you shoot it at someone or in your possession. It is a federal offense to own or have any shotgun barrel under 18" (as the others have already stated). I belive it is a $10,000. fine or (10) years in prision for this offense if I recall correctly?
Old June 5, 2009, 09:58 AM   #18
KLRANGL

Lots of "smash the barrel" talk. Why not just get it registered in the NFA database?
$200, a two applications with fingerprint cards and photos is all you need.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know if there is a grandfather clause to the federal law or is it all shotguns...period?
The grandfather clause was for any short barrel shotgun already in existence could be registered in the NFA database (for free I think) and be legally owned. Still has to be in the database one way or another, but that brings up an interesting point. Was it actually registered in the database? If it was, transferring it to your name is cheap and easy. Again, all assuming that it is shorter than 18inches, which I doubt. The side-by-side shotguns always look shorter than they really are.

Edit:
Quote:
Not exactly. The method is accurate, but it is measured to the bolt face - not the round. Do it while unloaded.
I just double checked this, and you are right. My 870 with 18.5inch barrel measures 18.5inches to the bolt face exactly. As I said above, side by side and break barrel shotgun look shorter than they really are, because the bolt face is located farther back than on a pump or auto shotgun. The stoeger coach gun always looked like 14-16inches to me, but I was surprised to find that it was actually 20 inches. Gota bust out that tape measure to be sure.

Last edited by KLRANGL; June 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old June 5, 2009, 11:05 AM   #19
carguychris

Quote:
Is this a possible antique exception? I never thought about antique SBRs and SBSs.
There are historical exceptions. The ATF has excluded a few historic shotgun models from the NFA and deemed them either Antiques (pre-1/1/1899, no FFL required for transfer) or Curios & Relics (C&R FFL necessary for transfer). Check Sections III and IIIA here:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

Two caveats:

A gun must be in its original configuration to be considered an Antique or C&R. This regulation has been recently discussed at length in the TFL C&R subforum, and the definition of "original configuration" can be somewhat nebulous, but IMHO most radical modifications to a gun's original configuration are fairly obvious and easy to determine. (Half the stock missing? Not original. Barrel cut? Not original.)

The guns in Section IV are still covered by the NFA. They must be registered in the NFA database for legal ownership. They can be transferred across state lines by C&R licensees without needing a Class III dealer, which cuts through some red tape during sale, but doesn't help someone who finds themselves in possession of an unregistered NFA gun. Consult the NFA subforum for more details.
Old June 5, 2009, 06:21 PM   #20
sonogy47

It is legal fellas!

That was really dumb of me to post that question BEFORE I actually measured it. I just got out the tape measure and it is 18.5 inches. You guys had me really nervous for a second. I always thought it was under 18 inches until I measured it today because it has been sawed. I just never thought to actually measure it.

Last edited by sonogy47; June 5, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old June 5, 2009, 10:06 PM   #21
tony pasley

18.5" legal but is the over all length under 26 " that is a factor also.
Old June 6, 2009, 06:28 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I don't think you can add a gun to the NFA registry if it is already chopped. You have to get the licenses before you do the work. there was an amnesty when the restrictions first came into play and it had to be registered then, or at least that was my understanding.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; June 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old June 6, 2009, 08:50 PM   #23
Don P

Simply put, the shot gun is legal.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Tags
shotgun