The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2002, 04:44 AM   #1
what, another gun?

Beretta A 302 Cycling Problems

I've got a Beretta A 302, 3" Magnum Barrel, that won't cycle on Win AA's or anything except the Fiocci 1-0z #8 2 1/2 dram or Remington heavy dove loads. These are 2 3/4 " and eject just fine. The empties for the Win AA's won't fully eject. It's a 20 ga and I shoot trap with it (Yes, it's not a trap gun but its a fun challenge and the only shotgun I have) and dove hunt if there's a chance.
I know the Remington has a paper wad and the Win AA's has a plastic wad.
Do you have any idea why it won't cycle on the Win AA's? The Beretta guys say it should. I suspect the magnum setup is too heavy for that load, but don't know why.
I do keep it clean, particularly the gas ports and the gas piston.
Help!
Thanks very much, Tom
Old April 21, 2002, 07:43 AM   #2
Chuck Graber

Tom
The 302 Magnum is set up for heavy loads with small gas ports so that heavy 3" loads will not over stress the action. The 12ga. 301,302, and 303 magnums are well known for not handling very light loads, although my 303 12ga. magnum will handle 1oz. skeet loads without problems.

If you want to use lighter loads then you probably need to find shells that use a slower burning powder that is still pushing hard when the wad clears the gas ports. Shooting the action slightly wet with Breakfree CLP should also help a bit, as it reduces friction and it will make cleaning the gun a bit easier.

You could find a 20ga. non magnum barrel (2-3/4" chambers) and using it the gun would cycle light loads.

Chuck Graber
Old April 21, 2002, 07:01 PM   #3
what, another gun?

Chuck, thanks very much...now I understand why it won't digest just anything. I'll try the Breakfree suggestion too.
At least I have two brands of ammo it likes. I like the gun a lot, light, little kick, simple to take down and clean and inexpensive when I got it. I'll just stick with it.
Tom