Dan Wesson M15 357

Ruger Security Six 357

Ruger Speed Six 357

Ruger Police Service Six 357

Ruger Blackhawk 357
Old August 11, 2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Buckeye!

Charter 357

All the guns listed would be great choices ,,the little Charter is a handful with 357 mag...so its a great 38 Spl +P handgun at 20 oz
Old August 11, 2012, 08:14 PM   #28
Infidel08

I think a good trail gun would be a ruger sa like a super black hawk or single six ect or one of their double actions wouldn't be bad ethier
Old August 11, 2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Onward Allusion

Quote:
azmark
Recoil of even hot 357 loads in a 6 inch GP 100 is not even bothersome. It's a heavy gun. I didn't mention 357 because I have significant hearing loss already and if you've shot full house .357 loads without your ears on, you know how painful that is. Since there are both 2 and 4-legged concerns where I'll be I need to not walk around with hearing protection.

I'm choosing to try to keep both my life and my hearing. I think I like the idea of a J Frame.
Have you looked into in-ear amplified electronic hearing protection plugs that will act as a set of inexpensive hearing-aids during normal noise levels and shuts off to act as hearing protection during a muzzle blast? They can be had for less than $50. That would allow you to carry full-house .357 mag loads w/o worrying about predators sneaking up on you while protecting your hearing.

http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Game-E...I1I8CL9C7E9KOR
Old August 11, 2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Pointshoot

Not to take the thread too far off topic . . . but I tried a pair of the cheaper electronic plugs and they were terrible. Feedback howling and poor sound quality. Plus they didn't offer much muzzle blast protection. Returned them to Cabelas. - - - Its been a few years though.

The quality in-the-ear units (wearing two to give stereo sound for better locating the direction of the sound) are expensive. I ended up using high quality electronic ear muffs, but they can be hot to wear. In any case, sometimes situations develop quickly and you don't have the time to put in hearing protection when needing to use a gun. The sound level of a 45 Colt is half that of a 357. (I recently looked up all this and how it relates to the sound we perceive). - - - The pressure level of the 44 Special is just a little bit higher - - SAAMI standard pressure level is 14,000 psi for the 45LC. 44 Special is 15,500 psi. 357 Mag is 35,000 psi and 44 Mag is 36,000 psi.

Note: how loud sounds are to us gets complicated. The SAAMI numbers arent for sound level measurement, but do give ranking of the pressure of various cartridges. Just do a websearch on 'loudness levels of various firearms' if you really want to get deeper into this topic.

Last edited by Pointshoot; August 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:17 AM   #31
rrruger

I see several entries for snake shot. I grew up in a part of Florida that was simply called 'Rattlesnake' by the original white settlers. I worked in the swamps and boonies as a land surveyor and saw lots of snakes and gators. Folks you don't need snake shot. You just need to back off five feet and watch them flee.
I have stepped on gators not knowing that they were there and I have never been attacked or even threatened by them.
It ain't the 'critters' that worry me!
And snake shot probably wont stop a drug crazed mugger as well as a .357 or .45.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:41 AM   #32
skidder

I would go with a 4" 357 in the k-frame size like the 19/66 or Security Six. They're not too heavy, but still 6 shots.

Buckeye has some nice options listed.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old August 12, 2012, 09:36 AM   #33
azmark

rrruger...I can't speak for everyone here, but I am armed while outside at home as well as when away. Where I live, rattlesnakes are a real threat to small livestock such as chickens as well as pets. When I see one on or near my property, I exterminate it. You may think that's cold, but that's just what we do and don't give it a second thought.

I doubt I would waste ammo on a rattler who was simply nearby on a trail.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:07 PM   #34
Obambulate

Same here but it's mostly water mocs. They can be extremely aggressive. I do back away, but what if the snake doesn't back away?
Old August 13, 2012, 10:23 PM   #35
rrruger

I had a fair amount of experience with water moccasins in FL in the 70's.
I found them to be very curious, and not the least bit tumid. I would be cutting line for a transit sight and see a cottonmouth paralleling me at a distance of just a few feet. Thirty yards later he would still be there matching my pace. I finally understood that I was only there to scare up his dinner. While this wasn't a daily occurrence it happened more than once. The only time that I really felt worried was when I was in the water with them and they would dive below the surface. It tends to make your heart race a bit. I didn't have kids or pets to worry about, so shooting at them wasn't really on my mind. The most vicious snakes that we had were the southern black snakes, mean, foul tempered, and a nasty bite...and fast!
Old August 13, 2012, 10:27 PM   #36
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark View Post
What kind of revolver would be a convenient and not pricey trail gun for hiking? I'm thinking of maybe a .22 or a .38.
Ruger Gp100 357 or sp-101.

I have S&W 627 4 or 5" 357s, or a colt a python 4". However, you did mention affordable.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:23 AM   #37
kcub

I kinda heart that Bowie.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:15 PM   #38
pete2

A .357 or .38 for general use. I carry a single six as a norm. Where I hunt the big deal is a rattler, carry something you can hit with, head of a snake is small, could be happy with a.38 w/ shot loads. If you get a heavy gun you wont be happy on a long hike.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:51 PM   #39
azmark

SP 101 is a bit beyond what I want to spend, although I like them. I'm getting closer to the purchase and for size and weight considerations I'm thinking about the LCR or a J Frame Smith. Even though it's significantly heavier, I do eventually want a Single Six to replace the one I sold. I've heard plenty of "well seasoned" outdoorsmen say that a .22 Magnum is underestimated and 22 practice ammo is cheap. I'm already set up to reload .38 caliber, so that mitigates ammo costs somewhat.

Snubby or Single Six? That's the basic question. What say you?
Old August 15, 2012, 06:01 AM   #40
Willie Sutton

Better than either: Look for a used Ruger Service Six in .357, 4 inch.

Why?

Medium sized.

All steel and somewhat of a classic.

Absolutely snag free and easy to extract from your pack or cargo pocket: (you will not always have it on your belt). This is not a target pistol....

Caliber choice = does it all.

Cost (not terribly high).

Reliability & Strength

4" v/s a snubbie offers adequate fun-plinking accuracy and also a bit better ballistics if you do decide to "load for bear" so to speak.

Look at them and see. Might take a gunbroker search but they turn up with some frequency.

Willie

Old August 15, 2012, 07:44 AM   #41
mk70ss

I carry a 2 1/2 snub by UltraLite Taurus eight shot .22 magnum on the trail every time we go.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:03 PM   #42
momano

LCR .22lr. Love the trigger, love the sights - esp. compared to the sights on my 442.
Old August 18, 2012, 01:50 AM   #43
azmark

I heard the trigger on the LCR .22 was terrible. I guess I need to check it out for myself. The LCR .38 has an awesome trigger.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:56 PM   #44
L_Killkenny

Are you hiking public trails with other people around? Conceal something on the small side. Out in the boonies something a little bigger is fine. Caliber? Crap shoot. I'm just fine with a .22 and in many ways I prefer it. In other ways I prefer a .32H&R and in other ways still I'd prefer a .357. Many others have merit too.

I too like the 4" SP101 (and the similar Charter Arms) and would choose them ten fold over a full sized 4" revolver like my Security Six or a S&W for a lot of carry with very little shooting. That's regardless of what cartridge you choose (both are available in .22lr, .32/.327 and .38/357).

Last edited by L_Killkenny; August 18, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old August 19, 2012, 09:45 PM   #45
Deaf Smith

Or maybe my 1969 Colt Detective Special.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS01.jpg (51.0 KB, 1665 views)
Old August 20, 2012, 10:58 AM   #46
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I've heard plenty of "well seasoned" outdoorsmen say that a .22 Magnum is underestimated and 22 practice ammo is cheap.
This is one "well seasoned" outdoorsman who will tell you the .22M is OVERESTIMATED. A .22lr rifle is a squirrel and bunny gun, a .22m handgun is about equal to that. So using simple deduction a .22M is a squirrel and bunny gun. Now that's not all bad, I like squirrel and bunny guns. But if I'm gonna shoot a squirrel and bunny gun it's gonna be a cheaper, less noisy .22lr handgun. If ya need something bigger, you need something bigger, not something equal to a .22 rifle.

BTW, if an SP was outta my price range (and for the most part it is) I'd look very very hard at the Charter Arms lineup.
Old August 20, 2012, 11:32 AM   #47
gak

Cost has been raised a few times by the OP. I'd suggest the likes of Bud's or J&G for a LEO turn-in .357 or .38 - 4" (3" better yet for carry if you can find one but they are scarce-ish). In snake country, load the first few with CCI shotshell followed by warm .38/+P or .357 in whatever load is suggested by the next most-likely trail threat (jhp if 2 legged varmints, 158 hard cast/jsp for bigger toothed critters. Etc), Voila.
Edit. AzMark I see you hail from Arizona too. Though you are closer to Tucson and likely could find something there (if not at a Sierra Vista LGS), failing those take a road trip up to Prescott for J&G.

Last edited by gak; August 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #48
chewie146

Depending on your definition of pricey, the ruger single six/vaquero/blackhawk models would fill the bill nicely.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:21 PM   #49
SteelChickenShooter

Since the OP did suggest a .38 as a trail gun.
I'd consider one of the .38 police trade-ins offered by Bud's as something to consider. If I was lucky enough to get a really nice one, I wouldn't mind having one myself. Trouble is, I already have a couple nice revolvers so a police trade-in from Bud's just doesn't seem to be important. But to a guy looking for a trail gun, and doesn't mind a bit of honest wear, at a good price, Bud's police trade-ins are worth a look.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:46 PM   #50
Larry C.

Old model 10

Howdy,

I'd opt for an old model 10. It's light, comfortable and would be comforting on my hip in the presence of 4 and 2 legged predators.