The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 29, 2013, 06:31 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
Also there are some tremendous deals available for 480 RH on gunbroker. I am a little concerned that the caliber might go away.
correction... there used to be... I was going to get one, but could never pull the cash together... those have dried up, & Ruger has started producing new ones, & they are kinda tough to get right now, & carry full price... I guess I snoozed & losed...

as mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the uber long cylinders, but also not a big fan of ultra high pressure cartridges like the full strength Casull the 480 Ruger is a normal magnum pressure round, & falls nicely between my medium 454 loads, & my custom 50 A.E. revolver... I can see one in my future... a "normal" magnum length cylinder seems to balance much better in "my" hand, than the long cylinder guns... also, the shooter should be very careful of the barrel cylinder gap on guns like the X frame, especially with longer barrels, I've learned the hard way with high pressure rounds, & long barrels, there can be the desire to steady the gun, by holding or supporting the long barrel, & I've burned my wrist a couple times doing that... so I've kinda graduated to nothing longer than a 6" barrel on my revolvers to eliminate my tendency to burn my wrists

as for not shooting short for chamber, rounds, this is something I learned in the 357 Maximum... Trailboss can be safely loaded in these big cases, giving a large variety of lower pressure / recoil / noise levels in the "dino guns", without developing carbon rings where they don't belong in the chambers...
Old May 29, 2013, 07:48 AM   #27
22-rimfire

Quote:
correction... there used to be... I was going to get one, but could never pull the cash together... those have dried up, & Ruger has started producing new ones, & they are kinda tough to get right now, & carry full price... I guess I snoozed & losed...
That is my impression also. But I haven't seen any of the new Ruger SRH's in 480 Ruger as of yet. Wish they offered a 5.5" or even 6.5" version. I feel sure that it is the price tag on the new ones that jump started the old pricing that was found in the $500 range for SRH's. I'm looking forward to an Alaskan when the the new production begins to hit the shelves. But I think Ruger is busy busy busy these days and the 480 SRH does not seem to be a manufacturing priority for them now.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:51 AM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

they are making the regular Alaskans in 480 again ( a couple guys on the internet have gotten some new ones )...

http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...an/models.html

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...mno=RUKSRH2480

AFAIK, they are only doing these in 454 Casull yet, but maybe a 480 in the future ???

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...mno=RUKSRH5454

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 29, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:58 AM   #29
22-rimfire

Good to know that some of the new 480's are showing up. That Lipsey's 5" (in 480 Ruger) certainly would some appeal to me. But I still want a snubbie Alaskan in 480. I have no earthly need for one. It is pure "want". I'm sure it would be shot little or I suspect so.

I find it interesting that the Ruger Target Grey finish is now popular. Many didn't like it when it first came out. The new ones are satin stainless only as I understand it.

I've always said that if I got an Alaskan, it would have to be in 480 Ruger. Never cared for the 454 Casull in normal revolvers although I feel sure it is more comfortable to shoot in the S&W X-frames.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; May 29, 2013 at 08:22 AM.

Tags
.44 , .454 , .460 , magnum