The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2007, 01:51 PM   #26
rellascout

Nice first post. I tend to agree with you on a lot of what you are saying. I think that this is a great opportunity to interact with a parts manufacturer.
Old January 25, 2007, 02:24 PM   #27
Viper1357

Thanks rellascout,

It would seem an odd way for me to introduce myself to a new forum, somewhat of an 'indoctrination under fire', right in the middle of this thread, but like you said, having the opportunity to interact with a parts manufacturer was worth the effort of coming on board in such a way.

I'll be a bit more gradual in other threads..
Old January 25, 2007, 02:42 PM   #28
Rinspeed

Welcome to TFL Viper.
Old January 25, 2007, 03:24 PM   #29
atblis

Interesting

Do you guys have plans to make magazines for CZs?
Old January 25, 2007, 04:16 PM   #30
Viper1357

Thanks jeffg!
Old January 25, 2007, 04:59 PM   #31
Check-Mate

Viper1357- It’s always nice to know there are people who know and understand what it is check-Mate and I are trying to do. Thanks!

atblis- Yes. I’m not sure exactly which of our mags we are supplying to CZ but If you are interested I'll find out
Old January 25, 2007, 06:05 PM   #32

Since it seems that you're fixing or have fixed your mag problems. I'd like to know which gun manufacturers do you make magazines for.
Old January 25, 2007, 06:30 PM   #33
joecad

maybe a way to rebuild your customer base would be to make good on any malfunctioning mags that he users might have. i have never used your mags...didnt even know they existed until now. i would be happy to test with the option to buy a couple 8 round 45acp mags. i have 3 different 1911's that i could test them with.
Old January 29, 2007, 09:12 AM   #34
Check-Mate

2400- A large number of our customers would prefer us not to release this information, so out of respect to them I can not give you an exact list of who we supply to. But we are the original equipment manufacturers for sixteen of the world finest gun manufacturers and we supply Magazines and parts to an addition eleven well respected customers.
Old January 29, 2007, 10:58 AM   #35
rellascout

I got my demos Mags. Thanks. I have not had a chance to use them yet but I will report my finds good or bad when I do.
Old January 29, 2007, 12:15 PM   #36
Rinspeed

I received my mags as well and my first impression is very good. I will report after I've gotten a chance to use them.
Old January 29, 2007, 02:12 PM   #37
Viper1357

Still waiting for mine

I 'm happy to hear you guys got yours. I'm looking forward to receiving mine as well. Or, should I say the 3 testers below are. I'll put them back to stock form first, but I will definitely be testing them in comp form as well. Multiple configurations should give some interesting results.

Old February 1, 2007, 01:05 AM   #38
Viper1357

I got my demo mags today, and like jeffg mentioned, the first impression is very good appearance wise. I'll post my findings when I get out to test them hopefully very soon.
Old February 1, 2007, 01:28 AM   #39
DonR101395

Check mate,
It looks like you guys are doing things right now days. I had a few problem with the early CMI M9 magazines, but the latest ones I was issued work like a champ. Does your company sell direct? I'd like to try your M14 and .45 magazines in the rifle and pistol I just had built up.
Old February 1, 2007, 11:21 AM   #40
deadmarsh

As a gunsmith, I would like to see your company produce a 1911 magazine that follows the lines of the original Browning design -- seven (7) round gradual release feed lips, flush-fit, flat/dimpled follower, welded base with 11 lb springs (chrome silicon would be excellent), with a bumped magazine catch lip as in the current Colt and Springfield designs...

The Colt design is very good, but not quite Browning specs (more a hybrid taper -lip design); the Springfield is more a wadcutter quick-release version, however, they are much better than the poorly designed Wilson wadcutter parallel quick release lip design in their 47D...

Make this magazine along with a wadcutter version and you would be way ahead of the game. Thanks for listening...

Dead
Old February 1, 2007, 11:54 AM   #41
Viper1357

Hey dead, forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but couldn't you still have most of those specs with an 8 rounder as well? Or are you just thinking nostalgic or ?

It's maybe just greed on my part, but it's hard to go back to 7 when you've had 8. Same with my food portion control I guess..
Old February 1, 2007, 01:47 PM   #42
deadmarsh

Not thinking nostalgic at all -- thinking reliability with flush fitting magazines. Shove eight into a space designed for seven and problems, sooner or later, will arise. Even more important is the controlled feed tapered lip construction for reliability. For me, reliability with control feed and proper magazines design are much more important than that one extra round that will sooner or later be a problem.

Remember, eight round magazines were developed for the people interested in games (competition), as in Bill Wilson developing the 47D for wadcutters, then changing the controlled-feed lip design from a taper to a parallel and a quick and late release with zero control except kinetic energy to complete the transfer from magazine to chamber...

Dead
Old February 1, 2007, 02:44 PM   #43
Viper1357

Thanks for the reply, and it was ignorance on my part.. It makes total sense to me now. I should have read an thought about what you were saying in your first post..
Like so many others, I've just gotten used to all the 'extended this', 'modified that', etc.. that I've forgotten about the simplicity and reliability of the original features you spoke of.. I am my own victim of the 'competition mind set' as that was my start into pistols some 20 plus years back now. And I agree, that as reliable as many high cap modified designs are, they have had more issues than my older style (I mean really old 7 round magazines) I don't ever recall having an issue with them..
Old February 2, 2007, 06:12 PM   #44
Check-Mate

Quote:
deadmarsh - As a gunsmith, I would like to see your company produce a 1911 magazine that follows the lines of the original Browning design -- seven (7) round gradual release feed lips, flush-fit, flat/dimpled follower, welded base with 11 lb springs (chrome silicon would be excellent), with a bumped magazine catch lip as in the current Colt and Springfield designs...

The Colt design is very good, but not quite Browning specs (more a hybrid taper -lip design); the Springfield is more a wadcutter quick-release version, however, they are much better than the poorly designed Wilson wadcutter parallel quick release lip design in their 47D...

Make this magazine along with a wadcutter version and you would be way ahead of the game. Thanks for listening...
Deadmarsh- CMI has had a number of request for a design similar to the one you are describing. I can’t say for sure, but there are serious discussions regarding this design and the possibility of manufacturing a new 1911 mag that meets this design.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:12 PM   #45
Raytracer

Check-mate, I highly applaud your decision to roll up your sleeves and wade into the forum here.

The American distributors of the Rock Island pistols from Armscor have taken a very active presence on the forum and have consequently earned a reputation for exceptional customer service - and have driven sales up beyond what the supply chain can really handle.

I just ordered a GSR and I'm hoping it comes with the Checkmate mags. I'm starting to shoot competitively more, so I'm really looking for a reliable 8 round magazine (I'm not yet willing to concede that this is a myth).

Best of luck to you,
Joe
Old February 3, 2007, 03:54 AM   #46
govmule84

...just an up

To you at CMI...

How many times have I taken the time to call a manufacturer (Some of whom I've spen ta great deal more money with then I'd dump on a lowly mag!) and gotten a polite version of 'We don't care.'? Too many.

So, good mojo to you folks. That's real cool, and when I next need 1911 mags, I'll be looking you folks up.
Old February 4, 2007, 12:10 PM   #47
browningwgm

Quote:
Quote:
deadmarsh - As a gunsmith, I would like to see your company produce a 1911 magazine that follows the lines of the original Browning design -- seven (7) round gradual release feed lips, flush-fit, flat/dimpled follower, welded base with 11 lb springs (chrome silicon would be excellent), with a bumped magazine catch lip as in the current Colt and Springfield designs...

Quote:
Deadmarsh- CMI has had a number of request for a design similar to the one you are describing. I can’t say for sure, but there are serious discussions regarding this design and the possibility of manufacturing a new 1911 mag that meets this design
This is good news. I know several folks that would be interested in these. I have recently switched to using only Colt 7rd 1911 45 mags. The majority of these being made by Checkmate. I have had no problems with them to date. Although the Colt mags are not of the original gradual release design, I have found their taped lip design to feed much smoother in all my 1911's.

If Checkmate were to start making these would an individual be able to put together an order from serveral individuals, say 50 to 100 mags?

In the meantime, could the same be done for the current mags you are producing for Colt. I'd be interested in getting some more that have the tapered release feedlips. Currently the only way I know of to get these type are to purchase Colt brand and pay the high price for the name.
Old February 4, 2007, 03:09 PM   #48
Rinspeed

Here are are a couple pics with the Check-Mate mags along side a Wilson 47D mag. The Check-Mate mag is on the left and as you can see the construction looks very good. The springs are a little thicker than the 47D springs and also a bit stronger. The springs in 47D mags are a bit of weak point in my opinion. I plan on leaving two of the Check-Mate fully loaded at all times to check spring endurance. I think these mags are going to work just fine but we will see. I was hoping to do some shooting today but it is only 10 degrees out so I think I'll drink beer and watch some football

Old February 4, 2007, 04:12 PM   #49
deadmarsh

Jeff:

Thanks, I'll take a gross of the ones on the left, thank you..

You can keep those other ones for the other guys...:barf:

A bit more work on the feed lips and CheckMate will be right where they should be...thanks for the photos...

Dead
Old February 4, 2007, 07:48 PM   #50
Mannlicher

welcome aboard. I have had the opportunity to use your M14 mags in my Springfield M1A and SOCOM. I have never had a problem with them.

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

how about making some decent 30 round mags for my Ruger Mini-14. America is longing for a good quality Mini-14, and Mini-30. You guys could own the market.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan