The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2000, 09:21 PM   #1
DAL

It's been years, but I finally went rabbit hunting again this morning. Getting out in the field sure was nice; I've forgotten how much I missed being outdoors. I also forgot to take the scope off of my .22 rifle, and in the area I was hunting that meant the rabbits were too fast (or I have become too slow) to bring into view of the scope before they got behind a tree or a bush.

Consequently, I went home empty handed. I should have known better, but I still had a good time just being out in nature. I think I can appreciate it even more now that I'm in middle age.

Next time (next weekend?), I'll either relieve the .22 of its scope, or I'll take the shotgun (probably a better choice). With the shotgun, I would have had at least two bunnies for the freezer today, and quite possibly four.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old October 15, 2000, 11:16 PM   #2
Reloadaholic

I prefer using the 22 without a scope, not as much meat damage and you don't end up with little lead surprises while eating.

DAL
Do you hunt with dogs. Any time I have gone rabbit hunting they will usually only run 20 to 40yds when flushed and then either stop and look at you or take cover. The one time they didn't stop I ended up shooting a coyote instead of rabbit. The coyote was the reason the rabbits were so jumpy. I haven't gotten out yet this year even though the season has been open for some time now. I prefer to hunt when it freezes every night and stays that way for a while, gets rid of bugs. Hunting for rabbits in the snow is always fun to, the rabbits seem to think they are really hidden but they stick out like a sore thumb.

Happy Hunting
Old October 15, 2000, 11:54 PM   #3
DAL

No, I don't hunt with dogs. My family mutt would love to go, but I'm afraid she'd keep on running once she got off of her leash. Plus, even if she was trained for rabbit hunting, there are so many cacti where I hunt that she'd be a prime candidate a visit to the vet.

That's a good point about hunting with shotguns. Maybe I'll just take the scope off the rifle and use it the way I used to some 15 years ago. I've hunted rabbits with a shotgun before, but I much prefer using my .22; it just seems more sporting.

My experiences with rabbits are the same as yours: They run for a short distance, and then they stop and/or take cover. However, the terrain is so broken up with scrub oak, pines, and bushes that they've left my field of vision by the time I look through the scope.
DAL

P.S. While hunting today, I was struck by a thought that hasn't occurred to me in quite a
bit of time: It sure is great to be alive! Being out in the open is great therapy and an effective antidote to the poison of the world in general, and the anti-gunners in particular.

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited October 16, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 12:06 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The trouble with a scope when going after rabbits is that the dad-gummed rabbit doesn't know where it's going next, either. Worser'n chickens; they're faster...

, Art
Old October 17, 2000, 01:12 AM   #5
BadMedicine

Why not both??
My dad and brother both have .22/20gauge over and unders made by savage. Actually, my dad's is a .22 Mag, but I know they come in different calibers, and gauges. these are the ultimate rabbit/grouse guns. They leave them on shotgun, incase they flush something, but can easily flip the switch for the .22 if a sitting shot is available, the switch is located right on the hammer, so if a follow-up shot is needed, it can be done fairly quickly. They also have slides in the top barrel to mount a scope, they don't have scopes on theirs, but it's an option. I just prefer my good ol' .22 semi-automatic's, on small game I've been known to use the "spray and pray" technique now and again I think it has to do with science, each time you pull the trigger you increase your "odds" of hitting the target by that many times again, and the quicker you pull the trigger, (the more lead in the air at once) doubles your chances with each follow up shot. A 10/22 with a 30 shot clip will work *nearly* as well as one well placed shotgun blast
Old October 17, 2000, 09:49 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

We use scoped .22s & do the spot & stalk bit.
Good practice for larger game.

Usually one shot to the head per bunny. & I wish that freezing weather would kill fleas.
Old October 17, 2000, 01:02 PM   #7
jtduncan

I like the shotgun/.22 pistol combo.

Always have the shotgun and like shooting still bunnies with my .22lr conversion kit on my 9mm Glock.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old October 17, 2000, 01:20 PM   #8
Keith Rogan

We have the easiest rabbit hunting in the world here on Kodiak. Snowshoe rabbits are not native, but were introduced by the Russians as food for foxes - which they also introduced.
The only problem for the wabbits is that they turn white about now and Kodiak (at least at sea level), usually isn't cold enough to keep any snow cover.
Hunting white rabbits on brown cover is about as easy as..well, hunting white rabbits on brown cover!

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan
Old October 20, 2000, 10:28 AM   #9
DAL

BadMedicine, you tend to hunt rabbits with a .22 the same way I do, although I prefer to call my style the "saturation technique."
I also prefer solid points to hollow points because of less meat damage with the former.

Labgrade, on occasion I've been lucky enough to spot a rabbit that's sitting still, but usually I tend to not see them until they're on the move. If I could be sure to find 'em sitting still, I'd definitely leave the scope on. But in the choppy terrain I hunt, this isn't, as I found out, an option.
DAL

------------------