The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 18, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1
J.Smith

My 1st AR

Since I see the AR platform as one that you keep forever, I want to do it right the first time. So feel free to comment or make suggestions for alternative pieces. The purpose of the rifle will be for training as I'm a Double major in Admin of Justice and Psychology and plan on a career in one of the branches of law enforcement. This is going to be a strictly CQB rifle.

Starting off with a 14.5 inch flattop upper from LMT.
Larue 7'' Handguard
LMT or RRA Stripped Lower with DPMS LPK
Magpul CTR stock
Larue EOTECH mount with the EOTECH 552
Larue 606 Lightmount with a Surefire G2 with the high output LED LAMP
Larue Front grip
5 Magpul Magazines.
Old July 18, 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Creature

How much do you have budgeted for this venture?
Old July 18, 2008, 03:08 PM   #3
MisterWilson

You're off to a good start. You're obviously taking the quality route and for that you're doing good.

However, here's what I'd change.

Quote:
Starting off with a 14.5 inch flattop upper from LMT.

Great. Many folks use a $25 YHM FH to make 16.1" but the Vortex is also a great choice and has higher cool points. Might also want to consider the Vltor FH. Not many have it and it's very choice.

Larue 7'' Handguard

Awesome.

LMT or RRA Stripped Lower with DPMS LPK

Now here's where I might say reconsider. You're going top shelf the whole way, don't cheap out on the lower. Get the LMT. I might also consider going one more step and say get a factory assembled one. I had fun building a lower or two but after that the novelty wears off and I'm only buying factory LMT lowers from here on out. Also, the LMT LPK's are rare and expensive, and while I haven't heard many bad things about the DPMS LPK's, there's probably a good reason why the LMT LPK costs twice as much.

Magpul CTR stock

Solid choice. Also might consider a Vltor Modstock or Emod. It has the LMT SOPMOD-like feel & compartments at a much lower price. Also, if you dropped the money on a complete LMT lower, their $200 SOPMOD stock comes for only $100 more.

Larue EOTECH mount with the EOTECH 552

As far as the Eotech, that's a judgement call. I recently went from an Aimpoint that I'd left on for years on a single battery to a power-hungry Eotech that I can never be positive that it's on unless I look through it. While the Eotech's reticle is way better, having something that you KNOW will always work and can leave on for years has it's advantages too. I kinda wanna go back. Also, while I LOVE LaRue mounts, I don't see the need for the Eotech. Lower 1/3rd co-witness works with Aimpoints, not so much for Eotechs in my opinion.

Larue 606 Lightmount with a Surefire G2 with the high output LED LAMP

Great.

Larue Front grip

Again, I love LaRue gear as much as anyone can but I can't see dropping that much on a vert grip. Hell, $60 on a Tango Down is a lot for me. Also, are you SURE you want a vert grip? I've gone back & forth & back again and I've finally settled on no grip.

5 Magpul Magazines.

Good start, but you'll want at least 3 times that.

Again, looks like a good start but I'd really reconsider putting together your own lower. For a plinker or starter rifle, sure, it's fun. But for a serious rifle I'd just go factory LMT.
Old July 18, 2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Forwardassist

Everything sound good except, stay away from the DPMS lower parts kit. I have a kit in my AR and some of the parts are pretty rough to say the least. CMT would be a much better choice. Personally I don't see the need to buy a LMT lower. These days all lowers are about the same quality. You might want to look at Anvil Arms lowers, very good quality for $100, and you can get free custom laser etching. And you will need more than 5 PMags.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:16 PM   #5
ChicagoTex

I recently looked into this myself and generally agree with my fellow posters.

I have a couple key points of revision though:

1. Consider an upgraded trigger assembly, I've just about settled on a 2-stage NM unit from RRA as the best bang for the buck but there are many quality units out there.

2. The legal limit is 16", so I personally favor getting a 16" barrel and using a relatively compact flash hider (like the standard A2 unit) instead of getting a 12" or 14" barrel and sticking a ridiculous attachment on the end, I realize you shave a lot of weight going with the shorter barrel, but samples I've handled had lousy balance - which I consider more important. Your mileage may vary.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:29 PM   #6
MisterWilson

That's interesting. I find that most people think that the 16" is the one with the lousy balance, and that the *only* reason to have it is to make putting a railed forend on easier, but if he's going with a LaRue before it's pinned, that's a non-issue.

Shorter, lighter, better looking, and the proper length that the gas system was designed for.

14.5 > 16.
Old July 18, 2008, 09:27 PM   #7
J.Smith

I have about 2500 budgeted for this little venture. I think I'll go ahead and get a complete LMT lower and upper and then just change out to the free float. The flash suppresor will also get changed to one of those suggested. I appreciate all the help and support for this project. I plan on buying all the parts in August and i'll be posting pictures as soon as it is complete.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:12 PM   #8
73-Captain

"MisterWilson" wrote, "...but the Vortex is also a great choice and has higher cool points."

Cool points?

Come on, does he think you are building a TOY for a teen-age child or a REAL GUN FOR AN ADULT!

C.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:24 PM   #9
MeekAndMild

Quote:
1. Consider an upgraded trigger assembly, I've just about settled on a 2-stage NM unit from RRA as the best bang for the buck but there are many quality units out there.
That was my thought for a good trigger, maybe with a Wolff hammer spring?

Quote:
The legal limit is 16"
as well as the lower limit of reliable functionality.

Quote:
Magpul CTR stock
This is not a choice I'd make. On the other hand for about $150 more Magpul makes the absolute state of the art precision stock.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:39 PM   #10
MisterWilson

Quote:
"MisterWilson" wrote, "...but the Vortex is also a great choice and has higher cool points."

Cool points?

Come on, does he think you are building a TOY for a teen-age child or a REAL GUN FOR AN ADULT!

C.
Oh get over yourself. I'm a 24 year old married father of two. While the Vortex is quite functional and even better than the A2 performance-wise, you can still enjoy it for what it is - A cool piece of engineering.

Jesus, some of you folks take your toys too damned seriously.
Old July 18, 2008, 10:40 PM   #11
MisterWilson

Also, if you're interested in upgrading the trigger, you can get the LMT 2-stage included in their assembled lowers for less than you could buy it retail.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:11 PM   #12
ChicagoTex

I actually like the Magpul CTR, provided you're seeking a simple, lightweight step up in quality from the basic M4-style telescoping stock.

An awful lot of people seem to swear by their LMT SOPMODs though (which are a little heavier but are a similar style of stock).
Old July 18, 2008, 11:53 PM   #13
wickeddeus

Unless your planning to put a can on it, I too vote for 16". Here is a link to most of the major points of what to look for if your buying off the shelf.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462
Old July 19, 2008, 01:27 AM   #14
imp

I would check into getting either mid-length or specter length gas system/handguards. You'll add about an ounce of weight and gain 4 inches of sight radius. Good pick on the Magpul CTR also. I'm currently in the middle of a similar build, my 3rd. It took me 2 other rifles to decide I wanted one similar to the one you are starting with.

If you haven't seen them, I would also check out the grip pods. They're about $100 anywhere you look, but they're a solid VFG and a very handy bipod in one unit.

Also, and this may be my ignorance of the law, but if your barrel is less than 16", don't you have to add a FH to bring you up to 16" and have it pinned and welded as not to have a SBR? Either way, to be legal, you have to have 16", so it might as well be functional barrel and not empty space in a FH.

Lastly, don't skimp on the sights. Get a quality flip up sights from GG&G or YHM. Larue probably makes them too, but I'm not familiar with that company.

Anyway, sounds like a good rifle in the works.

Last edited by imp; July 19, 2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: addition.
Old July 19, 2008, 01:52 AM   #15
MisterWilson

Hey Imp, unfortunately LaRue only makes a fixed BUIS but it may be the stoutest one available, like everything else with his name on it.

And you are correct, the overall barrel length must be over 16". Most dealers such as ADCO & others will pin the barrel for you if ordered from them.

Jsmith, as long as you don't have any other AR's or a functional lower you may possess a 14.5" barrel as by itself it's not a SBR but simply a gun part. If I were you I'd order the upper first, have the LaRue rail installed, get a FH pinned, and THEN order your lower.

Assuming that the ballistics are negligible (which they are), which of these do you suppose is handier & lighter? (and more proportionate)

14.5"

16"

The ONLY reason for wanting a 16" is if you're too indecisive to know what rail you want and don't want the trouble of pinning it (Or you're just DYING for non-standard parts with a mid-length since there IS no industry standard).

But if you do it right the first time...
(As you would be with the LaRue)
Old July 19, 2008, 07:15 AM   #16
J.Smith

I'm looking to get the shortest possible legal barrel for mobility issues. This rifle will also be my car gun. 1.5 inches does not make much difference right now but this will eventually have a SBR upper.