The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 6, 2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Isabel1130

9mm for EIC matches?

Hi all, this is my first post after finding this forum. I joined because I wanted to get back into Bullseye pistol. I did it some years ago when I was still on active duty in the Army. I found a possible shooting buddy who is a fine bullseye shooter and he has inspired me. We are both interested in EIC (hardball) matches. I have been doing some research on the internet without finding a direct answer to my first question. I understand that David Sams has had really good results with accurizing the Beretta for EIC matches. I understand the Army team has been using them to very good effect, but he seems very pricy and his wait time seems pretty long. I would like to go with the 9MM for a couple of reasons, less kick, lighter trigger pull, cheaper ammo. I am an older woman and weight and balance make a huge difference in my shooting especially for timed and rapid fire. I do well with a .45 slow fire and of course using wad cutter ofr Bullseye helps a lot. Does anyone know of anyone else who is getting the same good results accurizing a 9mm? Any testimonials from people who have had a 9mm accurized for EIC would be helpful as I understand it is quite different from doing a .45 Thanks, Kate
Old November 7, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
30Cal

We've got a guy out here that legged out with a stock Beretta. It didn't take him all that long either. Only two of the guys in my circle are Distinguished pistol.
Old November 7, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Ultima-Ratio

Leg Gun?

S&W 952, search here, The High Road and Google.

Even at full retail the gun is a bargain but careful shopping may find one in the $1000.-1200.00 range.
The rare version is a six inch.
Old November 7, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Isabel1130

Well that is encouraging.

I want to share this gun with a friend who is very competitive in EIC. He is a rightly. I am a lefty so we can't share anything for bullseye and I need to convert my stock Colt Model 70 into a wad cutter gun, not a hardball gun. I sold my Walther GSP, didn't like the balance. I am in the market for a Smith and Wesson .41 with a 5 and a half inch barrel that has been accurized. Anyone know a gunsmith who does those other than Clark in Lousiana? They are very backlogged. I would also consider an older High Standard Victor. Thanks again, Kate
Old November 7, 2007, 06:06 PM   #5
10s&Xs

I've gotten all of my leg points with an off-the-shelf 92 (still 10 short of distinguished).

Biggest thing for me has been finding ammunition that shoots well at 50 yards. With the right ammunition (ex. Atlanta Arms), it's fairly capable. But with the wrong stuff, it's a skeet choke pattern. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old November 7, 2007, 07:02 PM   #6
cdrt

If you're looking at using a 9mm for EIC matches, the first thing to do is go to the CMP website and download the latest rule book. It has a chart which indicates what mods can be done to either the 1911 Service Pistol in .45 ACP or the Beretta M9 in 9mm. The website is www.odcmp.com.

Only the M9 and some M92s and the 1911 are legal for EIC matches. The S&W Model 952 is not a legal EIC pistol.

For gunsmith mods to the M9, I would check with the Army Marksmanship Unit and see what they've been doing to them to get them to shoot. It's my understanding they go through barrel bushings a lot faster than the 1911.

We have one shooter (who is now Distinguished) who uses his EIC 1911 pistol for both Leg matches and regular NRA matches. He just changes out the recoil spring to a lighter 10 pound spring for his softball loads and then back to the factory std 16 pound spring for hardball. He just got his NRA Master classification card; so much for needing a red dot to compete.

There was a Clark Model 41 on www.gunbroker.com the other day. Not sure if it's still up for auction. I don't think it had any bids.

Send me a PM if there's any questions I can help you with off forum.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old November 7, 2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Casimer

Search the Bullseye-L mailing list on this topic. There have been several threads recently that discuss the use of the M9/92FS in leg matches, and means of accurizing these. It's apparent that they're becoming more popular for EIC.

David Sams is the most prominent gunsmith working on these, but there are a few others as well. Sam's modifications are apparently pretty extensive. Other solutions that I'm aware of also rely on the addition of a bushing. But there's apparently some rule that these need to satisfy, so not all bushings are EIC legal.

But I've also seen reports of stock 92FS shooting well enough at 50yds w/ the right ammo.
Old November 8, 2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Isabel1130

Made a decision

After talking to David Sams yesterday, I am just going to take the plunge and order the accurized Beretta from him. It will take a while but I feel will be worth the wait. Thanks all, Kate
Old November 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #9
SGT Wilson

The accurizing of the 9 Mil berretta

The accurizing of the 9 Mil berretta is still fairly newm so there are only a handful of gunsmiths that will do so. With that in mind, it is pretty damn pricey to actually get it done and depending on who you get it built by, is what you end up with. I had mine built by someone who doesnt even test it after he is finished. Problem with that is that he didnt replace the front site which had to be taller and I have been waiting for ooooh about 3 months for a front site. So if you know the person that does accurize them and he does a good job, you may just go with that person and get a finished product.

I am aware that this is an old as hell post, but I found it looking up the same thing so I figured someone else would come across it as well. So thats the reason I put my opinion on here.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:11 PM   #10
distsfc

Dang Wilson, Tell the good stuff about the gun
Old December 16, 2010, 01:15 PM   #11
kraigwy

Quote:
I do well with a .45 slow fire and of course using wad cutter ofr Bullseye helps a lot.
If you can shoot slow fire, you should have no problem with timed and rapid.

You like WCs why not load 230 FMJ bullets to WC velocities or slower. Go as slow as possible and still work the action. (My Gold Cup shoots some pretty mild loads).

Light loads are legal in Leg Matches:

Quote:
Rule 6.8.2 Pistol Ammunition

(1) 45 Cal. Pistol. Competitors with .45 cal. pistols may use any safe ammunition with 230. full metal jacket, round nose bullets.
You're use to the 45 and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper then building a NM M-9. .45's are a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to keep running also.

If you don't reload, Cheyenne has enough pistol shooters who do that can help you out.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2010, 07:53 PM   #12
rem1858

I am new to this forum, joined because I just bought a cap and ball revolver.

The "9mm for EIC matches" caught my eye.

I got into Bullseye pistol competition in Nov. 2008 after shooting Skeet competitions the previous 5 ish years.

Have earned 18 pts. so far using a modified 92FS.
My best score so far using Atlanta Arms AMU ammo was a 275-8x

Had a KKM slow twist barrel, LPA rear sight and high post front sight installed and trigger work done.

Pistol cost me $500. new at the gun show.
Modifications cost me about $800.
Turn around time was about 2 and a half months.

His name is Dave Salyer.
He reworks .45's mostly but has done a few 9mm's.
I and others that have had Dave modify their 9mm's have no complaints.

If you would like contact info, just send me a message and will hook you up.

Clarence
Old February 23, 2011, 09:08 PM   #13
danpass

I found this on another forum:

Quote:
[quote name='Canuck-IL' timestamp='1200374244' post='686599']
These comments are from Neil of NSK Sales, a commercial reloader who contributes to the Bullseye forum. Most likely the barrel for the first load (sub 1") was a 1:32 KKM.

Quote:
THE load: Hornady XTP 9-115 gr JHP bullet, sitting on top of 4.8 grs of VihtaVuori N330, a Winchester WSP primer, and a new case. The OAL is 1.08".

With a Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN or Winchester 9-115 FMJ HB bullet (buy them from Midway USA), for those of you that are looking for the ball load, the same formula as above, except the OAL is 1.130-1.140" (depending on your barrel throat and reamer), will hold under 1" at 50 yards.

That's it, now you have all of our research done for the last few years. Jerry Keefer has a pet load too that uses the 9-147 XTP (4.2 grains of VV330 w/147 Hornady XTP OAL 1.140" .Just a note; The AMI match ammo has an OAL of 1.120 with the 147 XTP), but our load out shot it.

OMT, the AMU, through Atlanta Arms, has developed an outstanding load using the Sierra 9-115 FMJ RN (#8115) and Winchester WSF (5.8-6.2) and an OAL of 1.30.
/Bryan
The Sierra 8115 9mm is .550, the max length of a 9mm case is .754. That's 1.304, ie basically no seating at all.

what OAL do you think he meant?

Last edited by danpass; February 23, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 26, 2011, 11:45 AM   #14
rem1858

thats 1.304"

That would be a typo.
Probably should read 1.130" ish

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99