The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2009, 04:19 AM   #1
DRKSIDE_xrs

Newbie Needs help

I have come to own a Winchester model 97 take down 12g. model number in the 725xxx region. I don't know how many shells it is supposed to hold but I can get 2 in there then the 3rd gets about half way in. I have tried to find out how to take apart the tube. But no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DRK

P.S. If anyone also what the little button between the hammer and the trigger on the side does that would also be helpful

Last edited by DRKSIDE_xrs; August 1, 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Additional question
Old August 1, 2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Smart of you to ask questions before messing with it. I am not familiar with this gun, but there are members who are and will be along to help you out.

The tube has a rod (my shot gun has a wooden dowel in it) to keep you from loading more than three shells, two in the tube and one in the chamber, to keep you legal. Usually you can twist the end cap off, or remove a screw plug to remove the rod.
But depending on what you are using it for, be very careful. Also, if you are not 100% sure if it is in a condition which allows it to be fired safely, please have a gunsmith check it out. The extra money is worth it.

I would suspect the little button is either a safety or a hammer release.
Old August 1, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If the tube is not nearing 16 inches it is a 2+1. But it appears it should be a 5+1. There is likely a "plug" under the screw holding the barrel in. The one at the end of the mag tube. I don't know of any nuances of that model but on my mossberg I just unscrew the screw and tip upside down and jiggle jostle until I could grab it and bull it free. It is likely going to be about the size of a #2 lead pencil, plastic or wood.
Brent
Old August 1, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
zippy13

Greetings and welcome aboard,
Check out http://marauder.homestead.com/Shotgun.html for your M-97
Old August 1, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
DRKSIDE_xrs

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried taking the end screws out and taking it out from that end put I don't know if that is the right way and I don't want to force anything.

It is close to a 16" tube and I am pretty sure it is 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

As for the muarder web site it doesn't show how to disassemble the tube.

Thanks for all the help. But I am still lost.

Also anyone who knows anything about the button I have uploaded a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Button.jpg (215.6 KB, 35 views)
Old August 1, 2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Hawg

The button unlocks the slide. Take down the front tube mount and the screw that holds the front plug and the spring and follower will come out without further disassembly.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7
DRKSIDE_xrs

Thanks Hawg for ther help. After I got the tube apart I found a wood stick about 10.5" long inside the spring. Its pretty worn but I am pretty sure it came in the gun. It's hard to make out some spots are worn but this is what I can make out. "WINCHESTER MODEL --97 12. ALL GA 2 3/4" --- SHELL" The dash marks are where I can't read. Anyone know what this stick is for. Just thought I would see if anyone else has seen this.

DRK

P.S. I added a picture to give you an idea of what I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winchester Stick.jpg (214.4 KB, 27 views)
Old August 2, 2009, 01:16 PM   #8
RevolverRO

Well, the stick is in there to limit the magazine to a capacity of 2 + 1 in the chamber. Guns used for migratory waterfowl are restricted to this capacity.

Disassembly of themag tube on the take-down model is slightly different from the solid-frame guns (both my original Winchesters and my Norinco 97 are solid frame guns.). I know that to remove the forend from the tube you will need a spanner wrench to remove the spanner ring at the front of the forend. It isn't always necessary to remove the forend; I just leave it on the tube while cleaning the various parts of the gun.

Note: For lubrication purposes, it is a good idea to use grease in the cam slot on the side of the carrier that the slide arm travels in. I also use grease in the slots that the bolt travels in. I used to use tetra, but now I have a tub of wheel-bearing grease that works just as well.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:09 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
It is likely going to be about the size of a #2 lead pencil, plastic or wood.
That is what I was referring to above...
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 10:23 AM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
Guns used for migratory waterfowl are restricted to this capacity.
Partially correct - Doves are also covered - the key word is migratory. If you take the plug out and go dove hunting, the warden will take your gun and you get to pay a nice fine
Old August 3, 2009, 10:38 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In florida, the absence of a little wooden dowel can cause not only the absence of your gun, but also your doves, truck, money (fines) and future hunting rights... OH YEAH... Better hope they can't make a felony charge stick as it will end your gun and voting rights too!
Always check all specific rules for each critter you will be targeting as well as all game seasons that will overlap your targeted game season as they can "assume" your rabbit gun is an illegal dove gun...
Brent

Tags
1897 , m97 , model 97 , tube