The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 1999, 08:12 AM   #1
Snapsho7

I just joined this forum today and I have a question (yeah already)

Does anyone use Red Dot scopes, Holosights, or other more traditional scopes on their shotguns? If so what kind of mounting system are you using?

I'm thinking about using an Aimpoint Comp ML on a Benelli M1. I'll be using either a Aimtech or Redfield saddle mount. I may also use a more traditional scope for hunting in the distant future.

Are Red Dots tough enough for a shotgun? How do they work versus rifle or ghostring sights? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old July 15, 1999, 11:03 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've got a mount on an Ithaca M37 (no optical sight at the moment) but it's a pump. Recoil operated shotguns are sensitive to weight gain and may not reliably operate having the extra weight added on. The recoil assembly has to move the extra weight along with the designed weight and thus doing so may not have enough energy left to operate the action of the weapon.
Several companies make mounts for shotguns; Weaver rail, saddle mounts, laser mounts, etc. I even remember seeing somewhere a Pictanney (sp) Rail mounted on a smoothbore.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:17 PM   #3
owl

I have an old 870 that I drilled and tapped for a Weaver mount. The gun has a Tasco PDP4 red dot. Works great