The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 1, 2000, 10:26 AM   #1
Jack Straw

Over the last couple of months I have developed some sort of bad habit. Anytime I shoot handguns, I wind up with groups that are to the left of point of aim. I do it with all my pistols from .22 to .44mag hunting loads. Any suggestions? I'm guessing that it has something to do with my grip or trigger pull, but I don't what I should change. BTW, I'm right handed and usually shoot two hands, Weaver stance.

What about any books or other sources for learning how to improve my accuracy? Also, I recall seeing a chart that I suppose firearms instructors use; it was a round chart that showed points of impact either high, low, left, right, or combinations thereof and along with each shot placement it gives a description of the problem and possible solutions. Can I find a picture of this chart online anywhere?

I will definitely appreciate any help in this matter!

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Straw (edited February 01, 2000).]
Old February 1, 2000, 11:37 AM   #2
JoeHatley

Try using a little more presure with your right thumb on the pistol frame. Also make sure you aren't using too much of your trigger finger, just the tip.
www.bullseyepistol.com has some good info.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old February 1, 2000, 01:25 PM   #3
Jack Straw

Thanks Joe. I think you nailed it. I was picking up and aiming my gun just now and I noticed that as I was focusing on the sights, my thumb would come off the frame -just slightly - but apparently enough to make the difference. Kinda funny how focusing my eyes causes my thumb to relax. Now to go try it with ammo in there.

Also a thanks for the link. That looks like it is going to be very helpful.

Jack
Old February 2, 2000, 03:52 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Joe did nail it. Finger position on the trigger plays a big factor in that.
Also for some its the support hand finger on the front of the trigger guard of these tactical pistols. They end up pulling the gun to the weak hand side.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old February 2, 2000, 06:24 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Thanks for the link JoeHatley,

I've been looking all over for that "Wheel of Misfortune". It's under Error Correction and Analysis at the Bullseye site.

I've been meaning to print out and tape a copy to the lid of my range box. Be prepared for new old bad habits to pop up!

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner
Old February 2, 2000, 11:52 PM   #6
Dorcas

The target you were looking for:
http://www.sportshooter.com/improvin...tion_chart.jpg
Old February 6, 2000, 05:24 PM   #7
Svt

Jack,
I'm just curious, but do you shoot a lot of trap? My buddy shoots trap all the time and everytime he fires a pistol, his shots always go down and to the left.

------------------
Svt
Son's Place

Rangers Lead the Way
Old February 6, 2000, 06:46 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Another thing to look at is "wristing". In this case, when you pull the trigger, you also clench your other fingers tighter, causing the shot to go down and left.

You can see what I mean if you make a loose fist and then watch the inside of your forearm. Increase the pressure of your trigger finger only: Very little movement of muscle in your forearm. Next, tighten the grip of the other three fingers. See the muscles jump?

FWIW, Art
Old February 7, 2000, 09:25 AM   #9
Jack Straw

Svt,
Nope, I don't shoot trap. I would hate to find out that two hobbies were conflicting with each other though.

Art,
I think you touched on something here. I was shooting this weekend and paid attention to my thumb (as per the above posts), but I would still usually pull left. I think my problem has been a combo of bad habits that I have let slide for too long. I'm going to put down the centerfires for a while and stick with the .22 for a while to see if I can't straighten this out.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Jack