The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Boogershooter

How many different rifles do you use during a season?

Some people have one rifle they use for everything. Myself I have different rifles set up for different situations. Short range, long range, and very nasty weather. I completely understand that some can only afford one rifle and pick one for all weather. But in the course of one season I may use up to 8 different rifles. My father used one for still hunting and one for dog season. My grandfather only used one. My late uncle was much like me and could choose from over a dozen different rifles. My father in law has two bolt actions both in 30-06. It's a funny world and I'm curious how many most of you use.
Old December 28, 2015, 10:13 PM   #2
Gunplummer

Over the years, a LOT. Not so much in one season. I am a superstitious hillbilly and sometimes change guns just to try and change my luck.
Old December 28, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3
jmr40

I own several. At one time I tried the approach of different rifles for different situations, but almost always came back to just one for everything. For the last 6-7 years or so I've only used 2 rifles, and one of them only a couple of times.

I bought a used Winchester EW in 308, put a McMillan Edge stock on it and a quality 3-9X40 scope. I developed some good hand loads for it and practice with it. I can get off 3 shots in about 2 seconds if I have to shoot fast and close. It shoots flat enough and has enough power and accuracy for 400-500 yard shots if one presents its self. At just over 7 lbs scoped it is light enough to carry in steep mountains and with the Kevlar stock and SS metal is weather resistant. Even though I have more than a dozen rifles to choose from, none of the others can do what this does.

The only other rifle I've actually hunted with lately is a similar set-up in my Kimber 308. It is about a pound lighter and sometimes gets the nod if the going is really tough.

Old December 28, 2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't hunt anymore but have several to choose from. Not counting the black powder stuff the two that got the most use were my 30-06 built from an F.N. Mauser and my 30-30 Winchester.
Old December 28, 2015, 11:11 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Most years, I usually end up with 3 rifles on any given hunt (plus maybe a shotgun, and probably a handgun or three). (But, keep in mind that I hunt in and around the Rockies.)

There's usually a primary for mid-range/long-range; something for quick, short-range shots; and a backup which may be mid/long, short/quick, or some compromise between the two.

Most seasons might actually see two of the three rifles get carried, but rarely do all three come out to play for a single season. Whatever the plan is for the day determines what I carry. A bunch of dark timber in my future? It's gonna be a shorty. Planning on hiking to a ridge top where I can see into every clearing for 5 miles? It'll be something with some reach, but probably on the lighter side. Taking the ATV 6 miles in (on a road so rough I won't take my truck down it) to a clearing to watch for a while? Weight doesn't matter, but something scoped is likely.

Generally, if I hunt both deer and elk, I end up carrying at least 3, maybe 4 rifles by the end of the second season.

This year, I only really hunted two deer seasons (no elk), but one of them involved day trips from home, so a fair selection of firearms came out to play as primaries or sidearms. I just counted them off, and it comes to 2 shotguns, 4 handguns, 1 AR pistol, and 5 rifles.

I think the only firearm that went along for the ride, but didn't come out to play, was the 6x45mm AR upper (technically not a firearm, but it becomes one when I drop it on the lower pinned to the .475 Tremor upper).

Last edited by FrankenMauser; December 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old December 28, 2015, 11:47 PM   #6
hartcreek

I used three rifles this year plus a few handguns and a revolving carbine. Most places that I hunt 100 years is a long shot but I have two places that I can have shots out to 600 yards. I also find myself on bear trails a lot.

I put several hundred rounds through my 721 in 30-06 getting sighted in. I used a 1894 in 25-35 for a few days and I put the stock on my Uberti Cattleman .44 magnum in other days. The area that I hunted was 20 square miles off of a closed Forest Service Road so I had to ride one of my motorcycles or use a Zooma Scooter to get in. A couple days I was so tired that I just carried my walker and Jukar single shot pistol.
Old December 29, 2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Boogershooter

Hart creek I've got to ask if you have killed anything with the jukar?
Old December 29, 2015, 02:25 AM   #8
Boogershooter

Guns I use most in order would be:
Browning abolt 300wsm
Winchester featherweight stainless 308
Sako forester 243
Weatherby mark v accumark 300 weatherby
Winchester supergrade 338 winmag I have two
Old December 29, 2015, 02:43 AM   #9
Tomas

Use my .308 Weatherby Vanguard for everything...elk, deer, bear, varmints, long range, short range...you get the picture.

A very accurate rifle that has performed perfectly for me. Hand-loads keep it versatile. I've shot and killed with 110-220gr bullets, and all the way out to 600 yards; though not with the 220s, of course.

I just don't need anything else here in the lower 48.
Old December 29, 2015, 03:07 AM   #10
David R

Most of my life I carried a Savage model 24 222 / 20 gauge . I live in northern NY. I cannot sit still, so I get to do most of the deer driving. I will (try to) drop a partridge if I get the chance.

I tried a 7mm mag for a few years but always end up with the model 24.

Now I live in western NY and rifles are not allowed for deer, so instead of a shotgun, I carry a Ruger super Redhawk 44.

Every hunt I have a handgun on me and I am a good shot. I always bring a spare rifle like my Savage 110 in 308, or a Remington 660 in 243. If it gets used, it's by another person in the party.

"Beware the man with one gun"

David
Old December 29, 2015, 08:14 AM   #11
Mobuck

I often use 3-5 rifles during a single season.
For the initial "buck pursuit" part of my season, I carry a rifle with plenty of reach and power(25/06, 257 Wby, 7mmRM).
During the "meat collection" period, I normally use a lighter, less powerful rifle to reduce meat damage(243, 257 Roberts[my favorite], or 25/06) depending on where and how far I need to shoot.
Interspersed within these periods may be hunts where I'm accompanying other hunters mainly as a mentor/guide. At those times, I'll carry one of my "guide gun" carbines(7mm08 or 308) with deep penetrating bullets.
Finally, there's the late season period where I'm not really deer hunting but rather predator hunting with the option of filling any remaining deer tags should the opportunity allow. This again calls for reach and accuracy so the 25/06 may come out or I may just use an AR and be very careful how/where I shoot.
This is what happened a couple of days ago. I was headed out to check a couple of traps when I saw a doe in an easy to access spot. At 150 yards, I carefully placed a .224 bullet into her lungs. Since I could see the entire field, I was fairly sure of keeping track of her and was able to see her fall and drive the Ranger directly to the carcass.
Old December 29, 2015, 11:29 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hunting in the central Texas hill country, I had two pet rifles. For most of my tree-sitting, I'd use my .243. When walking-hunting, I'd use my '06. More probability of longer shots when walking. Call it under-200 versus maybe 300 or 400 yards.
Old December 29, 2015, 08:12 PM   #13
stillquietvoice

i used two this season in southern tier ny. my davage 110 in 243 and my 1862 pattern enfield carbine in 58 cal.
Old December 29, 2015, 09:01 PM   #14
SEHunter

One rifle when chosen wisely can do it all if it were the only option financially, imo. I think that not all but most of the time when someone has and uses different guns, they just like guns and the shooting sports. That's the category where I would say I fall into.

I like to tote a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington if I'm in a thicket or close quarters. I like to bring along a 270 or 30-06 if I'm hunting a 20 acre field. Then if it's rainy and I'm in the mood to weather out the storm, I never want to bring a wood stock gun but prefer an inexpensive synthetic stocked budget rifle.

I'm a bit of a firearm enthusiast and that's mainly why I have more guns than I need for anything other than the hobby of it all. Some are so pretty to me that I hate to take them out of the safe which bugs many folks but to each his own I suppose. Oh, I forgot about the Weatherby Deluxe 300 mag that I picked up for the elk hunt out west that I may never go on
Old December 29, 2015, 09:43 PM   #15
Blindstitch

Because I want to get the most out of my season I have a few that I use.

I live in an area where you can't use a rifle in the Metro zone. But you can use a Muzzleloader so I have a CVA Optima V2 for that and obviously muzzleloader season.

Then I have two guns I normally take to the range to make sure the scope zero is on.
One is a Winchester 94 in 30-30. I use this for shorter range in wooded areas as a brush gun.
The second one is a Arisaka Type 38 in 6.5 Jap. I use this as a midrange gun. say 300 yards max but really hoping not to go over 200.

The third is a 1899 Remington Lee 30-40 Krag. This is an iron sight gun given to me by my grandpa so it's used as a second deer gun or backup without a scope.

In the future I plan on getting a long range gun for 200-500 yards shooting over fields.

My family has always treated hunting as a work gun and an heirloom gun tradition. If you need a deer take the work gun but the second deer hunted has to be taken with a gun who was owned once by a dad, grandfather or great Grandfather. It's kind of like showing your respect to take the person hunting with you.
Old December 29, 2015, 11:19 PM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Two rifles.
My primary rifle has no open barrel sights and is scoped for my use. 270 Win.

My secondary rifle has no open barrel sights and is scoped for my use. 25-06 Rem.

Both rifles are the same model.
Both rifles have identical Leupold VX-3 scopes rings & mounts.

Both rifles are Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifles. Having walnut stocks.

25-06 cartridge is substantially faster and quite accurate. But the 270 Win has a tad tighter 100 yard grouping accuracy. Over the 25-06.

The only way to tell at a glance which cartridge is which: Nosler Ballistic Tips use. 270 has a YELLOW TIPPED BOOLIT.__ 25-06 has a BLUE TIPPED BOOLIT.
Old December 30, 2015, 01:01 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
One rifle when chosen wisely can do it all if it were the only option financially, imo. I think that not all but most of the time when someone has and uses different guns, they just like guns and the shooting sports.
I'd pretty much agree with that.

I don't "need" ... well, let me go double check the count ... eight. I don't "need" eight 'elk rifles', but I sure do like to have them available.
There's the drop-dead-reliable iron-sighted bolt action carbine shooting a cartridge that predates .30 U.S.: the M38 Mosin-Nagant.
There's the single-shot .444 Marlin that's tough as nails, but dirt cheap and dirt simple. Short, light, and handy.
Both of the above excel at helping me not give a crap about them. Good chance I might take a tumble on the rocks that have some fresh snow and smack the rifle today? Grab the Mosin or Handi-rifle.
And there's the bolt action .30-06 that is oh so much nicer to carry in the mountains than my .270.
That .270, itself works very well, but it's a beast to lug around on long hikes. It's an 'elk rifle' but one I often reserve for time spent sitting and watching.
And then there are the short-range / snap-shot options, and the .35 Whelen, and more...

And, hopefully by the end of the year, I'll have yet another one in the lineup: another .270 Win built on a commercial Mauser action (but with a shorter barrel, and a bit less weight than the current .270).

I don't "need" them, but I thoroughly enjoy each and every one of them for the different ways in which they excel and the ways in which they allow me to modify my hunt.
Old December 30, 2015, 05:51 AM   #18
hooligan1

I started out with my mod 70, 7mm rem mag, took a nice ten point , then switched to my 6.5-06 for antlerless deer.

I've never shot at a deer with the 6.5, maybe that's a sign!!
Old December 30, 2015, 02:32 PM   #19
Rmart30

3 gun rotation usually during deer season.

336 in 35 rem for the thick stuff.
700 rem in 30-06 for the longer places... 400 yrds is my max.
But most of the time its a model 7 Rem in 7mm-08 as my all around gun and rainy day gun.

Outside of deer season for hogs I tote a youth 700 in 243.
Old December 30, 2015, 04:49 PM   #20
SEHunter

Of course if all you hunt are say.. white tails and squirrels, my "one gun can potentialy do it all" theory doesn't apply very well. In my area of the south east, if someone wanted the bare minimum, I'd say a skilled sportsman could get away with the rimfire of their choice and then maybe a .243 or 7mm-08 sized cartridge for a varmint/deer rifle.
Old December 30, 2015, 05:13 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Do muzzleloading "rifles" and/or Encore handguns that shoot "rifle" cartridges count?
Old December 30, 2015, 05:20 PM   #22
rickyrick

A varminter like I was could use one rifle
Old December 30, 2015, 05:25 PM   #23
NHSHOOTER

Here in NH we have Muzzleloader season so I have a 50 cal Knight disc scoped. Then when I go to So Carolina I bring 3, Ruger 77 II in 243 scoped, Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 7-08 scoped model 7 Rem in 7-08 scoped. Why 3 you say? I just like to shoot a deer with each one. Here in NH I am limited to 1 deer that is usually taken with my ML. If I do hunt in NH with a rifle its usually my Model 7, great handling accurate little rifle.
Old December 30, 2015, 05:36 PM   #24
MarkCO

I hunt several types of game, and seasons a year. I will likely end up hunting with 4-8 rifles depending on what I am hunting, time of year and location.
Old December 30, 2015, 09:10 PM   #25
Boogershooter

Yes Mr pfleuger they all count. I disn't list all of mine just the main ones I use. Each morning or evening I go to the cabinet, or safe, or closet, one of the many will wink at me and that's what I take.