The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2001, 10:04 AM   #1
joseph01

M1 Garand

I have an M1 Garand which does not want to fire blanks anymore. It just puts a slight 'dimple' on the back of the blank. If anyone can help me identify what I need to do to restore it, I would appeciate it.
Old November 7, 2001, 07:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does it (can it) fire standard ammo? All the normal questions apply to blanks, plus a few others. Have you checked the hammer spring, the receiver bridge, the headspace, and the ammo? Are the blanks GI or home loaded ones?

Jim
Old November 8, 2001, 10:14 AM   #3
joseph01

Jim,

The last time I fired it live was in 1994 and it fired just fine. At that time it was hit and miss with the GI blanks. Now it won't fire the blanks at all(I haven't tried live rounds). I am not a gun expert, though I do have a couple of M1 books. I need an idea of where to start looking for repairs or what the common answers are to this type of problem.

Joe
Old November 9, 2001, 01:03 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Joseph01,

It sounds like a weak hammer spring. Do you leave the rifle cocked after shooting? If so, the hammer spring could take a set and be weaker than it should be. You might also check to see if there is any grease or dirt in the bolt that might cause the firing pin to stick. Anyway, hammer springs are only a couple of dollars, so I would replace it and see if that solves the problem.

Also, how about cleaning? A dirty chamber can cushion a round, but that is pretty unusual. Blanks are very dirty, much more so than live ammo, so intensive cleaning is required.

Jim
Old November 9, 2001, 06:10 AM   #5
joseph01

Jim,

I have never left the piece cocked after firing. I keep the rifle very clean and have taken it apart several times for an internal visual inspection. I will do as you suggest and check inside of the bolt for dirt and replace the hammer spring. Thank you.

Joe