The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
KyJim

Armscor/RIA on Down Range TV

I happened to catch a recent episode of Down Range TV which visited the Armscor manufacturing facility in the Philippines. Armscor makes the Rock Island Armory 1911 and also 1911s under other names. The episode is available online. http://www.downrange.tv/blog/categor...llery-tvshows/

It was very interesting as Michael Bane talked with the second and third generation of the family owning Armscor. And, to put the matter fully to bed, they showed Armscor forging slides and barrels. They also showed some of the casting process in making the frames. It seems Armscor also is experimenting with a forged frame so we may see that as an option in the future.

Bane said that the name Rock Island Armory came from Corregidor Island in Manilla Bay, which is locally known as the Rock. I'm sure everyone knows its place in history. I'm still not convinced Armscor didn't at least recognize the semblance to the famed Rock Island Arsenal, but oh well.

One minor complaint -- Bane talked about the inadequacies of the Army's pre-1911 sidearm coming to light in the Philippines (which it did) but erroneously referred to the caliber being used as .38 Special. It wasn't. It was actually the .38 Long Colt which was a much weaker caliber than the .38 Special. All in all, a good episode to watch.

Edited to correct name.

Last edited by KyJim; March 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
shootniron

Quote:
David Bane
Michael Bane
Old March 3, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3
KyJim

Thanks for the correction and my apologies to Mr. Bane. I've corrected the name in the original post.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4
kahrguy

I think by now we should not expect a tv host to be spot on with info. Gota make good tv after all. But he is better than some host soooo.

The amscor 1911 pistol does seem to be a smart buy by for the money. I just don't put alot of faith in what a host says on tv to be correct. I have a friend with a new-er RIA models that is by far more accurate and so far are just a reliable as some way more costly 1911's they have. Just not as pretty.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:48 PM   #5
droptrd

is there a link for the full episode?
Old March 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
KyJim

I didn't realize that wasn't a full episode. Can't seem to find a full episode online. There's a showing Wednesday at 10:30 p.m. Eastern on the Outdoor Channel but I don't know if it will be the same episode.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
GyMac

I watched the episode and found it interesting. If I owned one of their pistols the cast frame would not bother me. If done correctly, I believe casting is fine. I have an Essex frame that I bought back in 1985 when my Colt series 70 frame cracked. It has over 30,000 rounds through it and is still going strong.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:02 PM   #8
KyJim

Cast frames fine -- agreed. There was some question (by myself) about whether slides were forged or not. Armscor's website said they were forged and the video actually showed it.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:14 AM   #9
rab

RIA Rules!!!!!

I don't care what those >$1K US snobs say, them little fellas in the Phillipines put together some relly decent weapons for nex to nothing! I'm hooked.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:28 AM   #10
mes228

Philippine 1911

I'm no Philippine 1911 expert. I've owned a few but traded them off with out any range time. However, I traded for a used S.A.M "Elite" 1911 that I got around to shooting. That pistol was so impressive I ordered two. I can say nothing bad about the SAM pistols. I now KNOW from personal experience you can spend much more for far less pistol in a 1911.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Skadoosh

Good episode. Seemed like the grandson is very vigorous in his running of the company and has a clear vision of where he wants to take the company. He also seemed like a true afficiando and a shooter. I will wait for the forged framed RIA 1911s. I wonder what the price difference will be between the forged and cast framed pistols.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Detachment Charlie

Having been a "China Sailor" (you either understand that or miss it completely) I have owned 2 of these pistols and was greatly impressed. On my Tactical I spent a few bucks on C&S trigger parts and WOW! I gotta winner, guys.
Oh, and their customer service is THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS!!!!

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I don't care what those >$1K US snobs say, them little fellas in the Phillipines put together some relly decent weapons for nex to nothing! I'm hooked.

You don't even know me! Writing me off as a snob. How dare you!
Old March 7, 2013, 04:57 PM   #14
oldone

The 1911A2 .45 is one fine gun. But it is a heavy gun, not for everyday carry unless it's but shoulder holster carried. Finding after market goodies are hard to find. Like 14 rnd mags, grips.

The top gun is a 1911A2 with a HiCap 14rnd mag. Bottom is a Star M1 9mm
Old March 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #15
egor20

Detachment Charlie

Quote:
You have that right.

I called Pahrump to ask if they had a spurred hammer for an M206 revolver, I was told they would send me some information about them. Three days later I received a spurred hammer for the gun free of charge . Now thats "Customer Service"

BTW the 1911 series is nice also, I usually carry the CS version.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #16
10mm4ever

The Fillipino 1911's are solid but RIA really tips the scales with their warranty and CS.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:09 PM   #17
jmstr

Quote:
On my Tactical I spent a few bucks on C&S trigger parts and WOW! I gotta winner, guys.
I agree about the customer service. I had my tactical back and had Arnel do a trigger job while it was there [plus add night sights].

It is now VERY accurate, with a crisp trigger set at around 4lbs 4oz, give or take an ounce.

I have C&S hammer/sear components in another 1911 and a BHP, as well as EGW hammer/sear components in a 1911. The RIA Tactical hammer/sear isn't a C&S or EGW. However, it breaks VERY crisply at the trigger weight I want. Functionally, I can't feel a difference in them.

I am not a hater of MIM parts, but I will replace them with a good set from someone like C&S/EGW/Brown, etc when they wear out. However, I will let them wear out first.

If financial necessity made me sell one of my remaining 1911s, the only reason I'd sell my RIA Tactical is because the refinishers on my Sistema made the import marks so faint they aren't legible. Thus, I can't sell it. But, the Sistema is NOT original anymore: only the frame and MSH is original.

RIA really do rock!