The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
breakingcontact

What are some of the cheap(er) 22 pistols that work well?

Let's say, $300 and under.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:45 AM   #2
bonefamily

How 'bout Ruger Mark III's?
Old November 15, 2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Sevens

Early returns on the Ruger SR-22 are that it's a pretty cheap pistol that seems to run very well and not finicky on ammo.

My GSG 1911-22 ran about $319 when I bought it and it's performance has simply blown me away. Over 3,700 rounds through this pistol since April and it's been as reliable as you might ever ask a semi-automatic rimfire .22 pistol to be.

If you can find a used Browning Buck Mark at that price point, you can pretty much bank on it being a very reliable performer. I'm not sure what they go for new.

Knowing what I know & have seen from the Ruger Mark III, I wouldn't take on at any price other than nutbar (to flip it), I'd spend more money on a lightly used Mark II than I'd ever consider on a Mark III. But then again, if your desire is a .22 pistol for low dollars that works well, don't discount a well worn and unloved Ruger Mark I if you find one for low bucks. They have made zillions of them, so you can find them cheap quite often, and those run forever, too. My buddy has one from 1982 that he picked up years ago from a co-worker and I found out MUCH later that it has a barrel bulge -- and the dang thing still runs 100% of the time and it's accurate, also.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Sixer

Quote:
Early returns on the Ruger SR-22 are that it's a pretty cheap pistol that seems to run very well and not finicky on ammo.
This is the case with mine. GREAT little shooter. I wasn't expecting much from the SR-22... but having shot it with various ammo... I have been pleasantly surprised. Right at $300, IMHO $$ well spent.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:07 AM   #5
PSP

Available for about $240, the Beretta Neos is both reliable and accurate.

My GSG 1911-22 has proven reliable and fun but all I've used so far are mini-mags.

A Buckmark is a good choice. Perhaps a nice used one at under $300. I found a nice Field 5.5 model for $275 a few years ago.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
breakingcontact

What about the Bersa 22s?
Old November 15, 2012, 07:52 AM   #7
zincwarrior

Your price point is the sweet spot for at least 4 manufacturers. The family and I love .22LR. We have had five pistols (currently shooting Brownings)

Browning Buckmarks (campers especially) are in that range. They can be
extremely accurate and are easy to take down and clean. We have two of them and as a family love them.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...023+4294958177

Ruger has a .22 (also at Academy). It is more difficult to clean but is very accurate. We have one of these as well that I still shoot. It has a very wide, easy shooting trigger. If you can spring a little more, the target versions are truly sweet.
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245DE/models.html

Smith and Wesson. I don't have one, but have heard that the cleaning and accuracy of the pistol are excellent.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...023+4294958177

Beretta Neo. A little different as the grip angle is more radical. Cleaning is hyper easy on this one and it is quite accurate. I found the Ruger/Browning to be more accurate but was able to put ten into a nickel sized target at 8 yards. Absent the mechanical difficulties (which were several) I absolutely loved this pistol.

Note:
1. Try them out in the hand. Grip feel is very important and is a big driver in Ruger vs. Browning vs. Neo fans. All of them are going to be more accurate than you are. Additionally all the ones noted have excellent adjustable sights.

2. All my .22s (NEO, RUGER, Browning) had mechancial difficulties and breakages. Browning customer service was excellent. Ruger's was good as well (we literally shot a target version to pieces after about ten years and 50,000 rounds no joke). Neo we had to send back to OEM (Beretta) and they did not properly fix the problem that it came with. Based on that I would not recommend a NEO. Your mileage may vary.

I have not had a S&W in .22 but their company reputation for CS is very high (full disclosure I have three S&Ws in other calibers) and back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I had a a problem the item was fixed quickly and for free.

Last edited by zincwarrior; November 15, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:04 AM   #8
lapetrarca53

I like my Phoenix Arms HP22a a lot!

You can buy it in a 3" barrel with a 5" conversion kit for less than $200.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Pilot

Ruger MK series pistols MKI/II/III are not "hard to clean". If you follow the manual it is simple. They are built like tanks, are very accurate, and reliable, and can be transformed into match grade target pistols with aftermarket parts if/when you become more serious about that.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
tws92E05

I have had a Mark I for many years and it has always been reliable. I have not found any ammo that it will not shoot. I bought my son a Mark III last year for his birthday. I figured I would stay with the Mark series since I had such good luck with mine. Worst pistol I have every bought. I never found any ammuntion that it would shoot consistently. The mags. were hard to seat into the well. This caused feeding problems. It was very rare to run an entire mag of ammunition without a hang up. You could pull the trigger and it not fire and pull it down think you had another jam and all of a sudden with no pressure on the trigger it would go off. Never saw anything like it.

One good thing about the Mark III is that it did teach my 15 year old son very good gun safety due to all the problems with it. Sold that pistol and will never by another Mark III.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

Re: What about the Bersa 22s?,,,

I'm a fan of my Bersa Thunder 22,,,
Mainly because the little gun works so well.

It's plenty accurate and has the feel of a duty weapon,,,
It isn't a clone of the Walther PPK,,,
But fits the hand like one.

I have been shooting this gun for 18 months now,,,
With quality ammo it has never malfunctioned,,,
It likes Wal Mart Federal Bulk Pack,,,
and CCI Mini Mags (LRN or HP).

It has choked on only one ammo so far,,,
It doesn't seem to like Remington Golden Bullet,,,
But then again neither do my 22/45's, NEOS', or Cheetah.

And it is still less than $300.00 at Buds Gun Shop.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 15, 2012, 09:33 AM   #12
zincwarrior

Quote:
Ruger MK series pistols MKI/II/III are not "hard to clean". If you follow the manual it is simple. They are built like tanks, are very accurate, and reliable, and can be transformed into match grade target pistols with aftermarket parts if/when you become more serious about that.
I've field stripped Rugers, Ruger 9mms, Berettas, 1911s, Llamas, Bersas, craptacular Chino Hills pistols, Brownings, Neos, S&Ws, Colts, Walthers, Russian pistols, and dissassembled a variety of revolvers. Of all of the them, the Ruger .22s were the hardest. I could not successfully break down the target pistol we had more then three times over 20 years and I believe in field stripping pistols after every trip to the range. I'm no hardcore, but if I have problems stripping something down when using the manual
then they are difficult.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:14 AM   #13
fender1974

Bersa Thunder/Firestorm .22

I picked up the Bersa Firestorm in November of last year. The Firestorm and the Thunder are essentially the same pistol - I believe the biggest difference is the grips? The Firestorm has a more rubberized grip which I liked the feel of better. I picked mine up at a show NIB for $249. It has been 100% reliable with Mini-Mags and the Federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart. My only complaint is with loading the magazine - it take a toll of your thumb trying to hold down the follower, but it's the same way on my Ruger 22/45.

Bottom line is that I'm very happy with the Bersa. I like the look and feel of this gun, it's reliable, fun to shoot, accurate and does not appear to be picky about what I run through her. I would not hesitate to pick-up another one.

I just recently had the opportunity to try out the Ruger SR-22 and I really liked the look and feel of it. I only shot two magazines through it (I was a terrible shot with it - not sure why?), but I liked how it felt in my hands and it appeared to be a very well built gun.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14
JimDandy

I'm already keeping an eye out for a decent Sig 1911-22. They've got a "kit" with the pistol, something else, and a holster. I keep snickering at the holster, all I really want is the pistol and a couple extra mags maybe. But 1911-22 is, to most folks, the standard for 22LR pistols.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Mystro

Gotta agree. Every one needs a Ruger Mark series. My Mark II is tack driver and is a fun gun to carry in the woods. Squirrels don't have a chance with my hyper velocity yellow jackets.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Sevens

JimDandy, keep in mind on your search that the Sig 1911-22 (a fine and good looking pistol in it's own right!) is simply a Sig-branded GSG 1911-22, with Sig marking and Sig grips on it. It is the same pistol. If you are happy with the price point, then no bother. If you are all about the low price and getting the value, you will likely pay more for the same pistol when chasing the Sig version. I've got hands-on experience and round counts with both pistols, they are indeed the same and every part on either with interchange.

I have a hard time recommending or agreeing with the Smith & Wesson 22A recommendation. I've only shot one on three different occasions for a few hundred rounds total but I simply did not care for it and I've got a gaggle of S&W guns otherwise. The trigger is mushy and entirely unenjoyable, the magazine safety is pure annoyance and doesn't always disengage and makes proper magazine seating more difficult. Take-down is odd & annoying and the looks of the gun leave me more than cold. (although in a thread where the Beretta Neos is involved, it ain't the worst looking thing ever!)
Old November 15, 2012, 03:54 PM   #17
JimDandy

I'm ok with paying more to put Sig's name and grips on it. I do somewhat roll my eyes at paying more to get a plastic paddle holster for it...
Old November 15, 2012, 04:03 PM   #18
jib

I, like Fender1974 above, can attest to the quality/price breakpoint of the Bersa Firestorm/Thunder 22's. I have the Firestorm and my entire family has shot that little guy to the tune of amost 3,000 rounds since february 2011.

As with all 22 pistols, go light on the lube and she'll run like a champ.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Sparks1957

Quote:
My only complaint is with loading the magazine - it take a toll of your thumb trying to hold down the follower
@Fender1974: I don't know about your Bersa mags, but mine have a button on the sides that you can simply push down, then drop 10 rounds in the mag....easiest mags to load I have ever encountered. I can literally load a mag in 10 seconds.

The Bersa Thunder .22 is my favorite .22 pistol ever.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:31 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

Loading Bersa Magazines,,,

I ordered one of these for myself and they work very well.

Click here please,,,

I ordered one for a friend who owns a Bersa Thunder .22,,,
She kissed me in extreme gratitude.

Nuff said?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 15, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
cogito

A lot will depend upon planned use. If you want it for a concealed carry, then the Buckmark or Ruger MK II/III may be too big for you. If for target shooting, then try out the grips. I have the Buckmark with a UDX grip (curve for the thumb -- URX has curves for the fingers).

Regarding the Bersa, I have the Thunder 380 -- and a word of warning about the nickel plated -- some parts start flaking off immediately. It happened to mine and today I dropped by a gun store and talked to the owner -- he said that he has seen the same with his inventory -- all calibers. So, if you get a Bersa, it looks like the nickel won't last.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Sparks1957

Yes, I like my Bersas (I have 5 of them), but I'll never buy a nickel-plated one due to nickel being plated over a copper base... put a little ammonia on them, and the nickel flakes off.

I like basic black guns, anyway.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #23
Yung.gunr

I really like my S&W 22A. Shoots great, good price, fits my hand pretty good. When I was in the market for my 22 pistol I don't remember the reason, but I didn't like the way the Ruger Marks felt in my hand. Loving my 22A.