The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 1998, 11:10 AM   #26
motorep

Either a Colt Commander or a Springfield Ultra Compact V-10. I use a Galco Concealable or Safariland 5181. Galco (some nameless model) mag carrier.
Old November 9, 1998, 11:02 AM   #27
Terry

Listed in frequency of carry: Kimber LW Compact, Glock 23, Glock 27 (when I can pry it away from my wife). I carry in Sparks IWB holster with a spare mag. I almost always have a Sure-Fire 6Z on me, in my briefcare, or in the car.

I always carry a small Spyderco folder. I'm looking to purchase a larger folder and am considering Emerson's Commander, Specwar E2-A, and Crawford's Kasper folder. I see that a number of you also like Reeves large folder. As I fly frequently, the folder will have to be able to pass easily through security (I'm always late). Comments on selection would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Old November 9, 1998, 08:46 PM   #28
Jeff White

SW 3914 in Milt Sparks Executive Companion, Beretta 21A in Milt Sparks pocket holster (don't remember the name & can't find my catalog right now) in weak side pants pocket, and Benchmade CQC-7 clipped to pocket on strong side.
Jeff
Old November 9, 1998, 11:45 PM   #29
Clay Whitehead

Carry pistol varies with the activity. It can be a G-17, S&W 3914 or OMC Backup (yes, it's a pre AMT and it shoots just fine)The battered ex-Chinese High Power or S&W M-10 go along in the woods.

Most holsters are Orca nylon IWB design with an Orca pouch. The mag pouch for the Glock has a spot for the 6-P.

Knives aren't fancy. A Victoinox Tinker, Benchmade 402 with the half serrated Weehawk blade and a Leatherman go most everywhere. They made my Gerber Mark-I illegal here in Washington so I just look at it now and then.

The S&W 3914 and the Browning serve as "truck guns". If things look serious, the 870 or Olympic PCR-5 come out.
Old November 15, 1998, 07:21 PM   #30
Dragracer

I carry a Taurus PT-911 every day. On work days (I perform claim inspections for insurance co's) I carry it cross draw in a small belt pack similar to the phoney cell phone case sold in gun rags. I also carry some work tools in a second compartment so it looks like a tool bag. Weekends are usually covered with a generic fanny pack. However, today I tried a LH IWB on the right hip, I'm right handed, and this setup allows me to draw the weapon without twisting my arm around. It worked very well.
Only knife I carry is a Swiss Army. Need it every day.

Old November 17, 1998, 12:23 PM   #31
Ed

Since crime is practically nonexistant out here in this rural/small town area, I just keep an old Police Positive .38 in the truck glove box, and a Smith 4" model 10 on the nightstand. There's also an old 870 nearby with 3 rounds of buck in the mag.

If I have to go down to Atlanta metro area, I carry a 3" model 36 in an IWB holster I made myself. In really hot weather I just stick a 950 Beretta in a nylon pocket holster and hope nothing goes wrong. I have tried carrying a 2 1/2" model 66 in a Don Hume rig, but it's too thick to be comfortable inside the waistband, so I'm thinking about replacing the 36 with a small frame DAO .357. As you can see, I favor revolvers, although I do have a Colt Govt. model and a Makarov .380. I once had a collection of Colt pocket semiautos, .25s, .32s, .380s, and even an old .38ACP parallel-rule pocket model. Unfortunately, I lost interest and sold them off piecemeal. Stupid move.

As for knife, I always have a little Victorinox with me, and usually carry an old Gerber lockback when I'm in the woods. At my age (61 and with physical problems), I don't think I would be too effective in a knife encounter, but then I can't run very well either. Actually, those sound like good reasons to carry a gun all the time don't they? Better start shopping around for that little .357 I guess.
Old December 6, 1998, 01:01 AM   #32
dome

Since I am supposed to be unarmed in my job (state recommendation, not a requirement)., I usually have a S&w642 in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster, an AFCK,
and a Surefire@ 6Z. In my briefcase (by Dillon Precision) I carry a Novak-tuned S&W 457, extra clips, speedloaders for the 642 and a Leatherman original muli-tool. I also have room for Punch II pepper spray. Hope this helps.
Old December 6, 1998, 01:58 AM   #33
bald1

No one has mentioned how they carry extra magazines, if any. Of all the stuff I find the extra magazines are the most problematic. I have yet to find a concealable magazine pouch that I like although right now I'm considering trying a Dillon or Andrews because of the extra leather to keep the base edges from gouging. Anyone have suggestions?

-=[Bob]=-
Old December 7, 1998, 03:30 AM   #34
SB

Bald1:

I have found quite a bit of problem with carrying extra mags as well. I use Bladetech's Kydex magazine pouch. One time I was playing with my kid. I lunged for him and out came my spare magazine clip. If I can lose it during a simplle rough-housing.. well, you know. So, anyways, I am reverting back to duty pouches such as Safariland, complete with flaps and snaps. It's slows me down considerably, but frankly, I find it better than losing my gear. That is, unless someone else has a better idea?
Old December 7, 1998, 09:34 AM   #35
motorep

I use Galco clip-ons for my single stack magazines, they're deep enough to hold the mags securely, but still have enough sticking out the top to perform a reload without having to think about it.
Old December 13, 1998, 09:24 PM   #36
ATM

Daily carry is a P7 PSP, in a Rosen ARG with mag pouch. SUREFIRE 6P in either the coat or back pants pocket. Knife is either a CQC-7 or an AFCK, sometimes both. LWS32 rides backup.
Old December 14, 1998, 09:05 PM   #37
GLV

Normal daily carry --- goes on when I dress and comes off when I undress, Colt Commander or GM or Para P 12, in a Sparks Summer Special, or Sparks 55BN OWB. Sparks or other mag pouches. Summer, often carry a H&KP7M8 in an Alessi IWB holster. Always carry extra magazine. Always carry a Wather TPH in a Null pocket holster. Always carry Benchmade knife, Spyderco knife, and a Leatherman tool, and a Micro Leatherman. Always one small light -- Streamlight or similar. Also, one small camera. When bike riding, Kel Tec, and Benchmade, and can of OC. Do I expect trouble? Yes. Do I know when/what? No. If I knew when or what, I would go on vacation! GLV
Old December 14, 1998, 09:21 PM   #38
Rob Pincus

Bald1,

As noted above, I keep the extra mags in my truck. The truck is where I keep most of the "extras." Occasionally, I will have an extra mag in a coat pocket (winter coat) or a fanny pack, but I can't justify carrying an extra mag on my body most of the time.

By the time I put my ID, a lighter and some cash in my pockets, put on my watch, holster, firearm, knife, and a firearm I feel like I am pretty well equipped.
God Bless those of you who carry practically as much as I do when on patrol.
Are you guys giving an example of "sometimes" or everyday?
How do you deal with going out to eat, where you will be taking your coat off?

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 15, 1998, 12:19 AM   #39
snoman

I carry a Fullsize H&K USP .45 in an Uncle Mikes Beltslide or sholder holster with two spare mags in a Safariland paddle mag pouch. A Surefire 6P rides in a Blackhawk horizantal belt pouch, a Spyderco Police never leaves my side, and an ASP key defender kubaton/oc/key flail.
If I am out to pick up a skip,I take the same along with a 14" M1, and Safariland cover 6 plus. Not been let down yet.( Don't over look the Pneu-Gun)
---SNOMAN---
Old December 15, 1998, 05:43 PM   #40
SB

I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I completely forgot about the retention screw on my Bladetech spare mag holder until I read it in a Gunsite catalog that came in my mailbox today. So, I tightened that thing as tight as I can, and am back to using it again.
Old December 15, 1998, 11:30 PM   #41
bald1

Rob,

I too have compromised before and placed a spare mag in the driver's door map pouch in my Miata but I'd still like to be able to carry one on my belt where it didn't feel like it was pointing away from my body suitable for IPDA or IPSC instead of concealment.

I didn't mention my carry stuff earlier so here goes:
- choice of BHP in Kramer IWB, Commander sized 45ACP in Andrews IWB, "chopped" BHP mexican carry, or Kel-Tec P11 with factory belt clip
- choice of Elsihewitz M5 Omega, EDI Genesis I, or Reeve large Sebenza folder
- choice of Spyderco Moran in Edge-Works slip sheath, Simonich talonite Wambli in crossdraw, Elishewitz Mission in weakside IWB, or Hielsher custom ranch in leather crossdraw

Two knives, one gun and usually no spare mag.

-=[Bob]=-
Old December 16, 1998, 07:21 PM   #42
ATM

Rob -
In answer to your question at the end of your last post to Bald1:
Here in the otherwise great state of Virginia we cannot carry in places which serve alcohol, period. So in those instances, I plan ahead and do the best I can with non-firearm options. If I am going somewhere which does not serve alcohol, usually where I eat anyways, I make sure my LWS32 is in a pocket if leaving the coat on is not an option. However the real trick is to use a fanny pack or a briefcase or shoulder bag. Admittedly with the last two the firearm is off the body which is not good, but at least it is close to me! One reason I like the snaploop and velcro rigs for IWB carry, easy off to put elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 12-16-98).]
Old December 16, 1998, 08:26 PM   #43
Rob Pincus

Indeed, ATM. I had a snap-loop bladetech IWB on with my G23 monday when I took the baby to see Santa. WE decided to eat at the mall, which I wasn't expecting, so I had to make a quick trip to the men's room and put the gun and holster into the chest pocket of my coat.
I sometimes evny my wife her galco purses...then I remember the speed drills at the range. Those damn things are even slower than fanny packs....

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 16, 1998, 11:00 PM   #44
Grayfox

Normal carry- 45 Commander in a Dillon LTD sometimes for like quick trips to the store I'll just tuck it in my waistband in a mexican carry. Warm weather- Colt Det. Spl. in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. For those times where social or other considerations make carrying a gun awkward or frowned upon- there's usually a PSP 25 tucked in a pocket.
Old December 24, 1998, 03:53 PM   #45
Mark THG

test

[This message has been edited by Mark THG (edited 12-25-98).]
Old June 18, 1999, 02:33 PM   #46
Shrike9

Colt 1911 Goverment worked over by The Action Works in a Rosen ARG or a S&W 442 in a Kramer pocket holster or a Null sholder holster.

Always have a 6P and a Spyderco or Benchmade along also, sometimes more than one

Looking at a Blade-Tech or somthing similar for IDPA and general outdoor open carry when 4 wheeling/camping/fishing/hunting/shooting. Plus will use the Kydex when repelling and other tactical uses when the issue 9mm Beretta just does not make the cut. Then out comes the old worked over Remington Rand 1911

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited June 18, 1999).]
Old June 19, 1999, 01:50 PM   #47
BlkHawk73

everyday wear...Ruger SP-101 2 1/4" bbl in .357) in a Mitch Rosen "Workman".

Heavier clothing...HK USP40 in a Mitch Rosen beltslide

hunting/hiking...HK (as above) or a Ruger Super Blackhawk (4" bbl) in a Mitch Rosen "Sport" holster

All are used w/ a Mitch Rosen belt and are accompanied by a Benchmade 970
Old June 21, 1999, 04:18 PM   #48
Jim V

Daily carry, most of the time: 1911A1 modified by me.

Holster: Anderson Shopkeeper's (copied by Lou Alessi)
Magazine pouch: Alessi dbl. snap on with the bullet noses to the rear when worn on the left side. (also have an Alessi single pouch that I use at times)

Non 1911A1 carry day - time: AMT DAO .45 Backup in an Aker pocket holster.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Old June 22, 1999, 07:38 AM   #49
DMSC

Everyday dress wear:
Taurus 85UL in a Galco Ankle Glove. 5 rounds in a dump pouch.

Casual wear:

Colt 1991A1 Compact in a low ride version of the Alessi Talon Plus. 1 or 2 spare mags.

or

Kahr K9 in a Milt Sparks SS-2. 1 or 2 spare mags.
Old June 25, 1999, 03:30 PM   #50
Futo Inu

--City, Daytime, Work: Glock 30 (.45) with Ashley Express Big Dot sights, in Blade-Tech Paddle with speed cut.

--City, Evenings, Casual: Glock 30 in fanny pack.

--City, Daytime or Evening Social, high-risk area: Glock 27 (.40 s&w) in Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster.

--City, Daytime or Evening Social, low-risk area: Glock 30 in Bayer Arms phone facade CIPS holster.

--Jogging/Sports: Glock 27 in Active Body Holster Co's Sport Belly Band.

--Outdoors/Hiking: Glock 29 (10mm) with 5.5" Bar-Sto and G20 hicaps in Glock Sport/Combat beltslide.

--In and out of post office, courthouse, schools, and while drinking: Outdoor Edge pocket folder and good shoes to run like hell if need be.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited July 02, 1999).]