The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 12, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
PetahW

Regarding An 1870's (?) Percussion 40 Rod Gun

I've run across what I believe to be a 40-rod gun from the mid-1800's (1840-1880) - but still have a few questions, if anyone can help.

The .45 cal rifle, having a backaction lock and double set triggers, is marked in three lines as being made by "H.SOMERS", "BARNET", & "VT".

I found two "H.Somers" that were making guns between 1830-1880, and believe they might be father/son - Hugh Somers (died ca.1873 @ age 72) & Henry Somers (died 1924).

I would also appreciate anything else I could learn of the makers - since although I found a tiny bit of bio info on the possible maker, I was unable to find anything about their guns.

Does anyone know how to distinguish a rifle betweem them ?

BTW - Since the false muzzle idea was patented in 1840, I would presume this rifle (which is set up for one) is post-1840.
Ned H. Roberts mentioned a "H.SUMERS" of Barnet, VT in his book: The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle - most likely a misprint/misspell, since the rifle is clearly marked.

I do not believe that the false muzzle, currently with this rifle, is original to the gun, since AFAIK all such had a post that obstructed the sight picture while it was installed - to preclude shooting with it "on".
This false muzzle has no such device, nor any evidence that it once had one.

I welcome your thought/comments.

Old December 12, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
PetahW

Old December 12, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I doubt all false muzzles had sight blocks, some people just had to find out the hard way. Does it fit the pin holes and line up? Is it rifled to match?

Nice rig anyhow.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
PetahW

[Does it fit the pin holes and line up? Is it rifled to match?]

Yep & yep. I think it's nice, too.