The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 26, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
sinead

Remington Model 750 questions

I am continuing my search for the ideal one rifle solution FOR ME. I want reliability, light weight and sufficient stopping power sufficient for a large angry hog or a small group of two legged critters acting like angry hogs. Basically all around defense, not hunting or 300 yard accuracy. I fell in love with the red dots and for a while thought that, from a reliability standpoint, co-witnessing was the way to go. It seems co-witnessing with anything other than an AR-15 is next to impossible so I dropped the co-witnessing requirement and restarted my search. I am not tied in to caliber but I want something I can buy at the hardware store: 308, 30-30, 7.62x39 or 44 magnum.

The Springfield SOCOM 16 or Scout Squad is everything I could ever ask from a rifle and more... about 3 pounds more.

The Ruger GSR Scout looks real nice except for one situation: several bad guys at close range. Although the possibility of this ever coming up is remote, if it did I know I would want either a lever action or semi-auto.

I keep coming back to the Ruger mini 30. The new ones are supposed to be much improved.

Today I came across the Remington 750 Woodmaster, available in 308, 7-1/4 lbs, 18-1/2 inch carbine barrel, nice walnut stock, but only a 4 round magazine. I have three questions on this rifle:

1. Is it easy, hard or impossible to forward mount a red dot?

2. Are there any aftermarket extended magazines? 10 Round would be my preference.

3. Any positive or negative feedback on reliability, parts availablity etc? I have heard all the general stuff that Remington has gone downhill and so on. Anything specific on the 750?

Sinead

PS Any other suggestions with non-military looks and not Soviet made are welcome.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
hogshead

My cousins bought 2 of the 750's in 308 carbine syn stocks nice looking guns ,light and handy. I will have to say that both guns have had multiple jams, for want of a better word. Some were ftf some were fte. They are both still fairly new and maybe will get better with time but they soured me on the 750. I know they made extended mags for the 7400 and I think they will work in the 750.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
lovethosesooners

I've studined all the options I could for a semi-auto for hog hunting and everytime I thought I settled on something else (AR-10, Bush ORC in .308, RRA LAR-8, Browning BAR, etc), I kept coming back to the 750.

We've all read how "terrible" Remington's are...certainly has NOT been my experieince with the 2 I've bought in the last year, nor any of my friends. I don't put much stock in that until I see otherwise firsthand.

Putting my money where my mouth is tomorrow-getting 750 in 18 1/2" barrel 30-06-love the way it handles, the weight, accuracy (from most of what I've read) and have read significantly more positive reports than those of the fella above.

I tend to think the odds are either ammo used or improper maintenance-while I may be surprised, I'm confident enough of NOT having jamming issues to spend my $ on it!
Old April 1, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
ranger275c

I have to 06 version and never had a problem. My mom has the 243 never had a problem. I am in the process of buying a 243 for my wife. I love this model. never jammed never a miss fire just lots od dead deer and elk. I can drop elk at 600 yards. My father in law can attest to it as he watched me do it. Keep it clean and take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old April 2, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Doyle

The 750 is the latest in Remington's evolution of an autoloading hunter. It still suffers from some of the problems that its predicessors did - i.e. weak extraction made worse by any kind of dirty chamber. One of the things you absolutely have to do if you own one is to keep the chamber clean. If the brass tries to stick, that weak extractor can't pull it out effectively.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
jmr40

Sounds like you are a candidate for a scout type bolt rifle in 308.

The 750 is overpriced, overweight, and designed for hunting with 2-3 quick shots max. It is simply not designed for multiple rapid fire shooting. The older 7400 series were plagued with problems. The 750's are supposed to be improved, but I'd not touch one. You can do much better with a bolt rifle. If rapid fire is a concern look at the 7600 series pumps. MUCH, MUCH, more reliable and accurate, as well as lighter. I serioulsy doubt if you could get off AIMED rapid fire any faster with the autoloader.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:14 AM   #7
PawPaw

Ten years ago I saw lots of 750/7400/740 rifles in the woods here in Louisiana. Guys loved them as hunting rifles and I suppose a lot of them are still in use. From what I've seen and heard they suffer from weak extraction. Those guys who use them will either invariably sing their praises or curse them as unreliable. There seems to be no middle ground.

For myself, I prefer the pump rifles, the 760/7600 series. The few examples I've used are extremely accurate and fairly durable. Great hunting rifles. Remington also made one variety that would take AR magazines and sold it as a Law Enforcement rifle. They called it the 7615, and I believe it's been discontinued, but if one ever shows up in the used gun racks around here, it's coming home with me. I've always thought that little rifle would he a great carbine. It might even be worth taking one to the gunsmith and having it rebarreled in .30 RAR.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 2, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
lovethosesooners

As my earlier post stated, I bought the 750 in 30-06.

Love the rifle-it was as accurate at the range as I can be using a 4 power scope (Leupold Hog scope-very clear cool scope and excellent for hog hunting), light, points very naturally with the 18 1/2" barrel, "pretty" rifle, soft recoil...

As far as price being high, my personal thought was that it was very competitively priced, especially compared to similar rifles.

I do agree it's not inteded for long strings of fire, but my thought is that I had no need for being able to shoot 10 rounds in any kind of rapid fire for hog hunting.

So far, I'm very pleased (I did have 1 round not extract out of 24 rounds-the 20 core-lockt 180 grains shot well, the failure to extract was a Super X 180...it did not "jam", as it ejected after manual operation of the bolt).
Old April 2, 2012, 09:12 PM   #9
dlb0412

Ruger mini 30 sounds good for you.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Fusion

A buddy bought one a couple of years ago and it's been nothing but headaches for him. His is in .243, and he bought it right before hunting season with the intention of using it to hunt with. Right out of the box, each time he shot it, the bolt wouldn't close back all the way for the next shot. You had to manually push it closed. He called Remington only to be told it would be a 3-4 month wait before they even got to look at it. That was longer than the whole hunting season. So instead he got a local gunsmith to fix it. Turns out it was a burr keeping it from closing all the way. Once he got that fixed he attempted to sight it in. The thing sprays bullets all over the place. He never really got it to shoot good, but it's decent enough to kill a deer. It's a 3-4 MOA gun at best. This combined with reading many reports of similar stories online has turned me away from them. If you do have a problem don't expect it to be easy nor fast to get Remington to fix it.

If you want this style rifle and want reliability the Browning BAR is 10x the rifle that the 750 ever will be. That said, I'm not fond of the accuracy of the BAR's either. Some seem to shoot horrible as in 2-3 MOA (more guys I've talked to seem to get these than not), yet I've talked to a select few who have gotten ones that did shoot well. However, for hunting it's decent enough.

The Benelli R1 is also supposed to be very nice, but I have no experience with it.

If you don't want a hunting style rifle, the Mini 30 is a nice choice as are the AR10's.
Old April 3, 2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Big Pard

Well as having owned several 742's and 7400's I'll say that they are not nearly as reliable on average as a Browning BAR. I currently own 5 BAR's and all of them shoot great and function reliably. With that being said, ALL automatics will jam if not cleaned periodically. Now as someone mentioned earlier the 760's and 7600's (pumps) are ultra reliable and lighter that most automatics will generally being more accurate.
Old April 3, 2012, 09:37 PM   #12
lovethosesooners

Big Pard, there really are signficant design changes between the 750 and it's predecessors.

I considered the BAR as well, beautiful rifle and I like Brownings as well, but I really think part of the rap the 750 get's is largely attributable to the previous models difficulties and improper maintenance.

The 750 carbine is a great looking gun with a great feel to it (at least to me, and it is MY $ I spent on it
Old April 4, 2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Big Pard

I wasn't trying to chastise your decision about getting a 750 but merely giving my experience with Remington automatic rifles. If a 750 suits you then by all means get and I sincerely hope it performs reliably for many years to come.
Old April 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
lovethosesooners

Thanks Big Pard-I really wasn't in the least offended by your comments-I'm not THAT thin skinned!

Regards the 750 being that much of an improvement, time will tell, but so far so good.....
Old April 6, 2012, 07:53 PM   #15
lovethosesooners

Up Date on the new 750-took to the range today using Core-Lockt 180 grain, and it shot like a champ....

Not even a hint of failure to eject, jam or anything of the sort.

Do believe it's meant to not be "gentle" with when operating the bolt release-let it slam shut as it's intended too.

I'm absolutely convinced that if it's kept clean and operated as it's intended, it will operate every bit as it's designed to do.

Loving this rifle!
Old April 6, 2012, 08:26 PM   #16
BIG P

IMO the 7600 pumps would be a much better choice.Used them for years very dependable & accurate never any FTF OR FTE at all they come in carbine & 22'' barrels & can get bigger clips with alittle looking around.

Also come in different rounds, 7616 223.243,270, 30-06 308, to name a few
good rifle!!!!
Old April 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #17
CarbineWilliams

I just picked up my new 750 in 30-06 from the gun shop this morning. I really debated a long time over the Remington vs. the BAR but for me the fact that the Remington is more customizable sealed the deal. Some day down the road I'd like to rebarrel and accurize it (http://www.remington7400.com/index.php), which does not seem to be as doable with the BAR (barrels are 'glued' to the receiver etc.). Anyway, I won't be able to take it to the range until next week but I am certainly planning on keeping it extremely clean. That seems to be some of the issue with the 'jam-o-matic' reputation... especially keeping the gas ports clean.

Last edited by CarbineWilliams; April 7, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:36 PM   #18
lovethosesooners

Shot the 750 again at the range today....EXCELLENT!

Fired 22 rounds in total, including the 14 I had left of the Super X that I had the only missfire in a total of 66 rounds now with-fed and fired perfectly.

I'm now as comforatable with this rifle not ever having a missfire in the future as I am with my DD AR not having one.

Appears to be simple to me at this point, and that is do NOT baby the bolt closed (which is what caused the only miss feed it's had) and keep it clean.

It's a great rifle.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:15 PM   #19
4sixteen

No issues with my 750 35 Whelen carbine, except for the heavy creepy trigger. It's really awful.

However, there's a soluition. Get the Timney Trigger Fix kit. Easy to install.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...87-TRIGGER-FIX

Huge improvement, I installed the kit and used the 2# spring. Now the trigger actually breaks crisp and clean. It's amazing! Here's my rifle with a Leupold 4x compact scope. This baby can really sling lead -

Old June 3, 2012, 06:41 PM   #20
sc928porsche

I have both 740 and 760 chambered in 30-06. They were left to me by my grandfather and my father. Both have worked without any mishaps (according to my previous owners before I got them) and still function flawlessly. I do not hunt with them, but I do fire them occasionally.
Old June 3, 2012, 08:12 PM   #21
lovethosesooners

10-4 on the heavy trigger!

I did the Timney trigger fix as well before it was ever fired-it was a cheap, easy fix that made for a really good trigger
Old June 4, 2012, 08:26 AM   #22
4sixteen

I have an old 7400 35 Whelen. Never had any problems with it, including the extractor, original still works fine. The bolt dust cover will eventually begin to crack, be sure to replace it when it does. Otherwise it will jam the bolt open, not a good thing to happen in the field.
Old June 10, 2012, 09:39 PM   #23
CarbineWilliams

Update... it IS a little jam prone. However, the feel of it and the accuracy and that solid but long feeling of the recoil makes me love this thing.

I tweaked the clip edges a little bit to change the feed angle and filed off some sharper edges, and I'll let you know how that works.

More importantly, I got the Slip 2000 EWL oil and grease, and tore the whole thing down and lubed a lot things that were begging for it, as well as filing some edgy parts. What a difference that makes in working the action. I hear a lot of people say 'it's like glass' when describing a smooth action... but I'd say it's more like a well worn M240C but with a new spring... it's still got a stiff spring but it's smooth and not squeaky like it was.

And.. perhaps most importantly... you CAN disassemble it with nothing but standard tools and a decent set of punches. I highly recommend the pdf instructions you can buy from American Rifleman to help cause it has some good advice regarding that spring/action tube etc. Getting that spring in place is a little like trying to check the sex of a vaseline coated boa constrictor, but once you get the hang of it it ain't too tough.

A couple hundred more rounds and I think it will be good to go ;-)

Last edited by CarbineWilliams; June 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old June 12, 2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Big Pard

For those of you who hunt with a Remington 7400 and want to disassemble it for cleaning here is a great video showing how its done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvml8dV8Cq8&feature=plcp
Old June 12, 2012, 10:20 PM   #25
BusGunner007

Great information in this revived thread.
Thanks.