The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1
exphys2010

Hammer issue with a new Walther PPK/S???

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a new Walther PPK/S from cheaperthandirt.com. I received it at my FFL and didnt really notice anything right off the bat. However, when I got it home and started inspecting it really well, I noticed that at a completely uncocked position, the hammer does not actually contact the firing pin, it actually sits a few millimeters away from it, and it is able to be pushed forward into the firing pin manually, but I hear a faint click when I do so. Even when I dry fire the gun, it does not look like it is making contact with the firing pin, it seems as though it is being stopped short of it. Does anyone else own a PPK/S that could give me some insight as to whether or not it is suppose to be like this and I am just being paranoid about it, or whether or not mine may have a factory defect?? I always heard great things about these pistols functionality wise, and it came with a discharged bullet casing, but none of my other pistols with external hammers sit that far away from the firing pin, so it is concerning to me. I wont have the time to take it out and fire it for a few weeks, so I figured I would ask around on here for advice first. Thanks for the help in advance, have a good one!
Old March 26, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
mega twin

Hammer rebound spring?sounds normal to me,but don't have a ppk at this time.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
mooney1el

I believe that is perfectly normal since mine is the same way and shoots just fine, every time.

But if you are concerned, go over to the www.waltherforums.com and ask the experts there too.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Willie Sutton

Perfectly normal and the way that it is designed to work. Inertia causes it to continue forward to hit the striker when the hammer is released by the sear. It rebounds after it strikes. This is a very common engineering feature.

Willie

Old March 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

As above the PP series has a rebounding hammer.
When the action is un-cocked the hammer is held back away from the firing pin, and is blocked from moving forward by the hammer block safety.

This safety is pressed up out of the hammer's way when the trigger is pulled.
This is intended to make the gun drop-safe if the hammer is struck.

Here's a schematic of the PP series. The hammer block is part number 42.

http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-walther-pp.html

To test the safety for proper function, lower the hammer and allow the trigger to move forward.
Press forward on the hammer. It should not move forward to contact the firing pin.
If it does, the safety is either fouled or defective.

To check, remove the slide and look at the safety block in the frame in front of the hammer.
When the trigger is pulled the safety block should move upward out of the path of the hammer.
When the trigger is released, the safety should immediately drop back down under spring pressure of the spring and plunger, parts number 38 and 41