The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1
rbernie

Why a Citori?

The Browning Citori seems to have a very dedicated following, and it certainly has been in production for a very long time. I like the attribute of longevity (I have a number of Auto5s, and my weekly shooter is an Auto5 made in 1936), but I admit that I know very little about the Citori in general.

So what about it makes it such a fan-worthy O/U?
Old January 29, 2010, 09:57 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Citori's are just like the A-5 they work! And they work well. At any trap shoot you will find more in use than any other shotgun. The proshooters usually have a older Citori stashed back in the trunk to use as backup.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
BigJimP

Quality, Durability - and Price ... Even though prices are up / you still get a lot of gun for your money / and a gun that will easily shoot 100,000 shells or more without any major problems.

I also like the look of the Browning Citori vs a lot of other O/U's. That isn't to say that Beretta ( probably their primary competitor ) doesn't make very good guns as well.

The #1 reason I like the Citori - is Fit. I have figured out over time that the high combed guns that Browning makes - the parallel comb guns - like the XS Skeet and XT Trap are the models that fit me the best. Other than the DT-10 model, Beretta doesn't really make a gun that will "Fit" me.

I've been shooting Browning Citori's / in one model or another / for about 35 yrs ( and I maintain my guns / take stocks off every 6 months / change springs and firing pins as necessary, etc ) but I've never had a Citori fail me in a tournament.

My primary guns for Skeet, Sporting and bird hunting are the XS Skeet models / in 12, 20, 28ga or .410 / all 30" barrels .

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...8&d=1256245028

My primary Trap guns are the XT Trap ( 32" barrels ).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1264785307

I have a few other Citori's like the BT-100 single barrel trap gun / and a few Lightning models in 12 and 20ga ....but the XS-Skeet and the XT-Trap are my go-to guns as far as O/U's are concerned.

Last edited by BigJimP; December 14, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
So what about it makes it such a fan-worthy O/U?
The reliability at the price point is hard to beat. Beretta and SKB also come to mind in the similar vein. Typically, if a Browning fits you, the Beretta doesn't. Doesn't mean one is better, just different. IMO, the Citori is the "870" of the O/U realm - a good gun for the money that will run a long time
Old January 29, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
BigJimP

Now I'm offended - comparing my classic Citori's to 870's ....jeez ...

Can we get a little love for the Browning BPS too ...in the pump gun world ... ( ... just kidding... )

OneOunce and I disagree on the SKB a little as well ...but he doesn't whine like I do ....
Old January 29, 2010, 02:13 PM   #6
oneounceload

now Jim, that comparison was meant to be a compliment on the durability of the Citori.............

I like SKBs as well - personally, I don't think they hold up quite as good as the B guns, but they're probably pretty close for most folks here
Old January 29, 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ok, my friend.

....its Friday .....I'm on a diet ....working on the month end books / and a little grumpy as I prepare my taxes ( hoping to get by paying less than $ 20 K this year ) ....

( just insert the words "BPS" wherever the numbers "870" appear )
Old January 29, 2010, 07:28 PM   #8
olddrum1

Now I am offended! You compared my 870 to a Citori. By the way, I disagree with your thoughts on the SKB's. I own both Browning and SKB for quite sometime and have never sent an SKB back for mechanical repair. I have sent more than one Browning back though.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Microgunner

I hit better with my Citori than any other shotgun I've owned or fired. I think I'd have to buy a custom fitted shotgun ($$$$$) to do better I believe.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
BigJimP

Ok, Ok ..... SKB's and 870's are just fine ....
Old January 29, 2010, 07:43 PM   #11
zippy13

Okay, guys, now I'm confused. I thought the Ruger Red Label was the R-870 Express of the O/U market with the Citori somewhere in the BPS to Wingmaster region.

Not to hi-jack the thread; but, did you notice that one of the members actually saw one of the phantom FN W-101s. We may see the W-101 again as the bottom dollar "reasonable" O/U.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
BigJimP

I agree Zippy ..... you're not confused .... ( but they yelled at me ...) hurt my feelings ....

I already have a "boat paddle" ...so I just don't need an 870 ( that ought to stir em up )...
Old January 30, 2010, 04:39 PM   #13
rbernie

Well, I just finished giving the local gunshop a bunch of money and in return they gave me the cleanest Citori that I've seen outside of a box - it's easily 98% for both wood and metal. It's got 26" barrels, choked M/IC. It points for me like a death ray, and tomorrow I'll take it out and see how it actually shoots.

It was under a grand, so it seemed like a decent enough deal...
Old January 30, 2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Jeremiah/Az

I believe that they are the best gun on the market for the price. I have 2 in 12 gauge & 2 28 gauges. They last forever & if needed they can be repaired by most good gunsmiths. Just don't send them back to Browning if you want to shoot this season!
Old January 30, 2010, 10:11 PM   #15
unkleschilke

I've often asked myself that question... Why a Citori...

I bought one just because everyone around here shoots them. Seemed to fit ok. I knew it would last forever. Even bought a 28ga companion.

Eventually sold both of them. A previous poster is right. If the Berettas fit, then the Citori probably wont.

I did notice the Cynergys fit alot like the Berettas...
Old January 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
Well, I just finished giving the local gunshop a bunch of money and in return they gave me the cleanest Citori that I've seen outside of a box - it's easily 98% for both wood and metal. It's got 26" barrels, choked M/IC. It points for me like a death ray, and tomorrow I'll take it out and see how it actually shoots.
Of course, all of that is unfounded BS WITHOUT PICS!!!!!!!!!......

No pics, don't believe you!
Old January 31, 2010, 11:15 AM   #17
rbernie

Heh - it looks like a Citori. Actually, it's a little different from most Citoris that I've seen (admittedly a small sampling) in that the receiver is smooth and completely devoid of any scrollwork or somesuch.

I assume that a Japanese Citori is rated for non-lead shot, correct?
Old January 31, 2010, 11:21 AM   #18
oneounceload

Miroku-made Citoris should be rated for steel, especially with the IC/M chokes. A quick call to them can confirm or deny.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:58 PM   #19
James R. Burke

I have one in the upland special o/u. Its the best shotgun I ever had. It has the 24" tubes and straight english stock. Just made for speed were I bird hunt. I run the bottom tube cyl and the top tube imp. The birds here come up fast and very close. With the cyl choke if your anywhere near them they come down. They do cost alittle but I feel are well worth it. No doubt there are better one's out there, but so is the price tag. I guess it comes down to what fits you the best, and looks good to you. The more you can handle and/or try the better. Everyone has there own taste. Good luck, and have fun.
Old January 31, 2010, 03:20 PM   #20
rbernie

Quote:
and tomorrow I'll take it out and see how it actually shoots
It never got above freezing here, and I'm just not made of stern enough stuff to go to the range in such sub-human conditions. I had to content myself to making up a bunch of 7/8oz loads for next weekend...
Old January 31, 2010, 04:22 PM   #21
James R. Burke

Thats not bad you should live here. I did live were your at once, and I am just joking I know your cold it is a differnt type than what we have. Seems like it goes right to the bones. It been around zero here lately, or on the minus side, and the wind factor makes it worse. If I have loads already figured out thats what I do make rifle, and pistol shells I know this is a shotgun forum. But its not fun shooting a shotgun when your froze no matter were you are at!