The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 2, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
jumpmaster70

Odd Light Machine Gun

I'm a Army Contractor working overseas and saw a very odd light machine gun that I'm hoping someone can identify. It had no "country" markings. It's 7.62x39, the carrying handle is fixed on the barrel (right on top), the pistol grip unlocks, slides forward to charge the weapon, fixed bipod, and the sights set to the left side of the weapon at about a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know what this could be?
Old May 2, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
SDC

The only light machine gun that I'm aware of that fits this general description is/was the BESAL, a proposed replacement for the BREN when Enfield was in danger of being bombed out of business by the Germans; of course, that was in .303, not 7.62x39. If you can post a picture, especially of any of the markings at all, we could probably let you know in no time.

Edit: here's a scan of the only picture of the BESAL I could find, showing the cocking handle built into the pistol-grip:

Last edited by SDC; May 2, 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Does it look like the one at
http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg29-e.htm
maybe?

VZ52 LMG, not to be confused with the VZ52 rifle or the VZ52 pistol; the Czechs were overhauling their smallarms that year, weren't they?
Old May 3, 2009, 07:04 AM   #4
jumpmaster70

That's it! Thanks.