The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
erclemons

ARkits

Is there a place where I can buy a complete kit to build my own ar rifle? I am relatively new to shooting and am trying to put a firearm collection without a lot of money. I have seen places where you can either buy lowers or uppers or various parts, but i would to buy the complete setup and assembly it my self, (with the help of a gun smith). thx
Old February 25, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2
globemaster3

Welcome to TFL!

To answer your question, yes, there are a number of manufacturers that sell kits, minus the stripped lower, that you can purchase to build your own. Model 1 Sales and M&A are 2 companies that sell complete kits, minus the lower.

Another option is to purchase your stripped lower, a lower parts kit, stock, assembly that yourself, and then add an assembled upper. Almost like above, but it allows you to buy the parts from individual companies and might fill a niche if you are looking for particular features that no single company offers. Most of the major names offer lower parts kits, stocks, optional triggers, etc if you decide to go this route.

Now, before the buying panic, which BTW makes right now a lousy time to get into the market, it really didn't save much money to build your own. The compelling argument to build your own was to either collect those features you wanted not offered as mentioned, or to really spread out the individual purchases over a longer period if cash prevented the purchase outright.

There's a lot of folks on here with AR experience. I am sure you will get a lot of replies.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Quentin2

I would figure out what the rifle will be used for then research what's available and is of good quality. Honestly many of the kits are of marginal quality, though PSA is very good and at a great price. You can buy a milspec stripped lower then a PSA lower build kit then their upper receiver that suits you. By far PSA is the best bang for the buck.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Skans

If you are going to build your own AR, I wouldn't use a complete build kit. The point is to make it the way YOU want it. There are some many good options available.

I would really consider buying a matched receiver set, whatever set you decide on - that's up to you. If you do a nice build, having a matched set will not only look and work better (potentially), it will have a higher resale value.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Mobuck

Yes, there are places to buy a complete kit(minus the stripped lower).
Yes, at least one of those places will let you customize your parts kit.
Yes, everything is unavailable or on back order.
Yes, most folks with a minimum of mechanical skills and a few common tools can assemble an AR lower and push two pins in to assemble the upper to lower. Those required tools do not include a butter knife or electric drill.
No, this won't have the resale value of a factory assembled rifle.
Yes, apparently there are a slew of video tutorials for those who can't read.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
farmboy

I'd call Brownells and talk to a customer service guy there. They can talk you through a few choices and get the right parts put together for a high quality build kit.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:48 PM   #7
AGENT TIKKI

Keep an eye out for Palmetto State Armory build kits, and complete uppers.
They are really backlogged right now, I honestly would recommend you wait at least few months. Hopefully by then the climate will be more buyer friendly.