The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Lee Load All 2 reloading press. Need imput for possible purchase

I know Lee has a very good reputation for reloading materials/presses. Has anyone had any experience with the Lee Load All 2? It appears to be a great buy and has inexpensive options for loading both 12 and 20 gauge shells. Would seem to fit my purpose of wanting to load 50-100 shells per week. I am not looking for a progressive loader at this time, and I'm SUPER broke right now, so a full set up for under $100 is feasible.

Any warnings or words of wisdom before I go ahead and buy one?

You can view the product online here:

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-load-all-2

Thank you,
-rich

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; April 9, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I am guessing it will work as advertised. I do not reload for shot shell due to the fact that I do not shoot it enough to worry about it. All of the shot shell reloaders I know use MEC, I have never asked them why.
Old April 9, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
hAkron

I have one, no major issues. It's not super fast, the optional auto prime thing isn't great, it doesn't radius the crimp like my MEC 9000, but I loaded a few hundred shells on mine. Every now and agin one wouldnt crimp, I would set those aside and break them down later.
Old April 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4
BigJimP

Most of us use MEC presses ...because they're a lot better press for the money ....and 10 yrs from now, if you buy a MEC, new or used, you'll probably be able to sell it for more than you paid ( and load many thousands of shells with it ).

Mec 600 Jr sells new for around $ 150 ....and used ones sell for around $ 75 ...and almost any gunshow - there will be at least one or two for sale.
-------------
In my opinion ....Lee load all ..is just junk / its lightly built / prone to all kinds of issues - jamming, handles break, etc...

I've reloaded for 50 yrs or so ....and I've used all kinds of presses...for shotshells and metallic ...and MEC is by far, the most widely used press on the market...especially at the lower end of their product line like the 600 Jr - where you get a great press for the money.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:41 AM   #5
sc928porsche

I use the load all 2 for 12, 16, and 20. It does the job for me. I did build a primer catcher from a cigarette box to make it easier to dump the spent primers.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Throckmorton

i've loaded thousands on mine

mine was used when I bought it ten years ago,and it's still going strong.
now,I shoot double barrels and of course they'll eat anything.IF ur shooting a semi auto,the Lee does not radius the leading edge,and these shells are not 100 percent reliable in a semi auto.I never had a problem with a pump gun tho.

with the cost of todays' componentes,especially shot,you can buy economy brand shells for what you can load them for,or very very close to it.just sayini'

if you decide to do it,don't mix hulls,stick with one kind and life is much simpler.If u have access to the cheap remington hulls..not the sts...they reload fine,and the black and the green CAN be intermixed. with mine,I add a pinchj of shot to eaach one to make the crimp come out right.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
PawPaw

I used one for 10 years back when my sons and I were doing a lot of shotgun hunting, usually a marathon session several times a year when we'd reload several cases that the boys could shoot up during hunting season.

If I was getting back into shotshell reloading again and only wanted to load 100 at a time, I"d buy a Lee and start cranking that handle. If I wanted bigger volume, I"d buy a MEC or Ponsness-Warren. But, for low volume reloading, it's hard to beat the Lee.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 10, 2012, 07:56 PM   #8
hk33ka1

I like mine. If I was going to start loading 500 shells a week I might move up to a semi auto MEC. I've got a couple Load All II's a Load All and a MEC 500 JR in 410 now.