The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Doublea A

Benelli SuperNova What Do I Need To Know?

Hello fellow enthusiast,
I have decided to branch into the shotgun arena as I'm interested in turkey hunting etc. I am considering buying the Benelli SuperNova 12-GA with the Comfortech in a 24 inch barrel length.

Please I need some help with the following questions.

1. Is it a reliable and accurate shotgun?

2. Should I be concerned with the recoil and opt for 20-GA instead?

3. Are the Tritium Ghost-Ring inserts sights a good choice for this purpose?

4. Are the extended special-purpose chokes necessary?

5. What are the best shells to use both for hunting game and self-defense?

Thank you

Last edited by Doublea A; April 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
jmr40

#1 Yes, they are good guns

#2 I'd stay with a 12. You can buy 12 guage shells that duplicate 20 perfromance and recoil if recoil is a problem. You cannot get 20 guage shells that will duplicate 12 perfromance.If you want a lighter gun for carrying long distances the 20 makes lots of sense.

#3 No personal experience. I would think they might be a viable option for SD purposes, but not needed for hunting.

#4 Probably not. I do at times use an extended aftermarket extra full tube for turkey hunting. I could probably do just fine with the factory full choke tube.

#5 For SD buy some type of buckshot. I don't worry too much about brand, or even size. I do not recommend smaller birdshot unless nothing else is available. For hunting, there are too many factors to list here. One of the great things about shotguns is their adaptability. You can use a wide variety of ammo to fit the application.

As an all around, do everything gun I like the 24" barrel, especially on a Benelli. A longer barrel would make wingshooting a little easier, but the 24" is certainly useable and is a good compromise if turkey hunting and SD are in the mix. A 24" barreled Benelli is about the same overall length and balance as most other guns with a 26" barrel.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Virginian

It works. With 3-1/2" shells it bites. Hard. Any pump will do the same. Good 3" loads for turkeys are gracious plenty in my opinion.
I would skip the sights and other modifications until you get a few hundred rounds thru it, then you can decide. For hunting anything other than with a dedicated gun for deer with slugs, I would skip anything but possibly an optical red dot sight.
Old April 20, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
1hogfan83

Kicks like a mule. I used mine for turkey and that piece of concrete on the end they call a butt pad hurt. Mine didn't have the comfort stock so I can't comment on that. I didn't purchase the mercury recoil reducer since it was more of a walking gun instead of a blind gun.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old April 21, 2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Sheikyourbootie

They work fine on gobblers.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic. This was a 20# bird taken from 30 yards with a head shot. Federal #4 3 1/2" magnum load with flite control wad, extra full turkey choke. This is a very reliable gun, so long as you do not short shuck it.

When you nail a gobbler, you won't notice the recoil. I have never bothered with anything other than standard optics so I can't speak to how the ghost rings will work.
Old April 21, 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Scrumbag

I've never hunted Turkey but I have used an Benelli Supernova for several seasons of waterfowl hunting and I think it is a great gun. Have the Comfortec stock on it which I like and think helps with big goose loads. It seems easy enough to mount optics/iron on it as well which I guess is a plus.

If thinking HD, I quite like SSG for a shot size.

ATB,

Scrummy
Old April 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #7
HeIsRisen

Re: Benelli SuperNova What Do I Need To Know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
Hello fellow enthusiast,
I have decided to branch into the shotgun arena as I'm interested in turkey hunting etc. I am considering buying the Benelli SuperNova 12-GA with the Comfortech in a 24 inch barrel length.

Please I need some help with the following questions.

1. Is it a reliable and accurate shotgun?

2. Should I be concerned with the recoil and opt for 20-GA instead?

3. Are the Tritium Ghost-Ring inserts sights a good choice for this purpose?

4. Are the extended special-purpose chokes necessary?

5. What are the best shells to use both for hunting game and self-defense?

Thank you
Don't overlook Beretta in this category. I've owned two Benelli shotguns, sold them both. Had the Super Nova, but it kicked like a mule. I willll say that it was VERY reliable. I'm not exaggerating when I say I shot a case of shells through it in a weekend and never a single jam. However, due to my high shot count and its lack of recoil reduction, I had to pass it on. My current 12 gauge lineup consists of the following and I won't be considering another Benelli for a while.

1. Beretta A300 Outlander - Best performance for value, hardly kicks at all compared to my Benelli sn configured the same way.

2. Winchester SX3 NWTF Cantilever Turkey with 24" barrel! Love this gun for everything but kind of pricey compared to the Benelli and Beretta.

3. Winchester 1400 mkii. Just an old shotgun I picked up at a gun show for 80 bucks!
Old April 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Sheikyourbootie

^^^^^ Absolutely right about geese! 3 1/2" Magnums all day long ... without difficulty.

Old April 21, 2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Doublea A

Quote:
Don't overlook Beretta in this category. I've owned two Benelli shotguns, sold them both. Had the Super Nova, but it kicked like a mule. I willll say that it was VERY reliable. I'm not exaggerating when I say I shot a case of shells through it in a weekend and never a single jam. However, due to my high shot count and its lack of recoil reduction, I had to pass it on. My current 12 gauge lineup consists of the following and I won't be considering another Benelli for a while.

1. Beretta A300 Outlander - Best performance for value, hardly kicks at all compared to my Benelli sn configured the same way.

2. Winchester SX3 NWTF Cantilever Turkey with 24" barrel! Love this gun for everything but kind of pricey compared to the Benelli and Beretta.

3. Winchester 1400 mkii. Just an old shotgun I picked up at a gun show for 80 bucks!

It kicks like a mule comments is making me nervous because I would like my wife to be able to shoot it as well. She is a very petite woman and her dislike in shooting this particular shotgun may damper her enthusiasm for my future acquisitions

For those that are hunting regularly or own different quality hunting shotguns specifically for wild game i.e. turkey, could you please suggest the best three different models from your own experience. It should meet the following criteria besides the Beretta A300 Outlander and Winchester SX3 NWTF Cantilever Turkey with 24" barrel stated by HeisRisen.

1. Price between $800-$900
2. Models in both 12GA or 20GA (or reduction in recoil for the 12GA with the right load)
3. Has models in 24 inch barrel

Thanks
Old April 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Sheikyourbootie

Why not look at a mossberg semi-auto combo package. Semi-auto's are softer shooting than pump guns. They have 20 gauges too...all in the price range you describe.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...ot-combo/85325
Old April 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #11
LED

Lemon, for a change

My supernova was brand new and soon started ejecting live shells onto the ground instead of feeding them into the receiver. It went back to Benelli at my expense and got fixed at no other charge.

What was wrong, I don't know to this day. Several gunsmiths/dealers/buddies looked at it and couldn't tell. (Please don'
t bother with the hindsight gentlemen) No brand is 100% flawless 100% of the time. I would buy another Benelli no problem when the price is right.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Sheikyourbootie

LED...I'm NOT saying you were doing this...but I can sometimes get mine to drop live shells by short shucking the pump.
Old April 22, 2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Scrumbag

Doublea A, don't stress about the recoil from a supernova. With the comfortex they don't kick like a mule any more than anything else. (If you are worried about recoil though, I would suggest a gas operated semi as the most likely to damp recoil).

If you are worried about recoil, don't run 3.5" magnums through it. Lots of geese (and I'm sure turkey) have been killed with what might be considered relatively mild 2.75" & 3" loads in days gone by. And let's be honest, most of us in the goose world like the 3.5" shells for the volume of shot they give us (steel needs larger shot size than lead and other alternatives) so it is more about insuring pattern density. Remember, pattern kills. Therefore, a blown, heavy fast load is less useful than a consistent, uniform patterning load.

ATB,

Scrummy
Old May 8, 2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Doublea A

Thanks for all the input.
For Graduation gift my wife and I went to Cabelas and I purchased a Mossberg 500 Turkey Thugs in a 12GA 20 in barrel. I will take it to the range and give a report later.

Thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Scrumbag

Double A, enjoy the Mossie! Let us know how you get one!