The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 4, 2005, 01:13 PM   #1
bjmanersr

One of you pros help me out with black powder

I've got a seccond generation colt 36 caliber black powder revolver that I baught used.Its been shot but I only got the gun and I know exactly nothing about black powder.Could someone tell me what I need to buy;how to use it ect.
Thanks
Old December 4, 2005, 01:55 PM   #2
MPP1423

Bj,
There Is A Lot To Explain About Bp Pistol Shooting But Myself,i Use Hodgon Triple Seven(777 On Here),pistol Wads(.36 For You),.cal Balls Or Conical Bulletts,i Dont Have A .36 Cal So Im Not Sure Of The Size But I Think They Are .375 Dia.again,i Dont Have A .36 So Im Not Sure Of The Charge Either But Others On Here Will Be Able To Tell Ya.i'd Probably Start With 20 Grs Of Powder I Guess On A .36.you Most Likely Need # 11 Caps For Ignition.

Pour Your Charge In The Cylinders,add A Pistol Wad Ontop Of The Charge,then Seat The Bullet Of Your Choice On Top Of The Wad,then Add The Caps On The Nipples.you Can Also Leave Out The Wads And Get A Tube Of Bore Butter ,which Can Be Had At Most Places That Have Bp Gear,after Seating The Bullet On Top Of The Charge Add A Good Dab Of Bore Butter To The Front Of The Cylinder In Each Chamber.the Other Guys On This Site Are More Helpful Than I But This Is The Basics.
Old December 4, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Remington kid

Kevin has given you some great advice but I have a good idea, Why don't you just send it to me to check out for your and after a couple of years I'll send it back all tuned up and ready to go.
You don't say who bult the .36 you have but if it's Uberti you will probably need #11 caps and if it's a Pietta you will need #10 caps. That's just an idea to start with because some guns are a little more "contankerous" when it comes to cap size.
If you use the 777 powder then keep in mind that it's a little hotter than the reguler black powder and you may want to start out with 15g and work your way up but not past 20g of 777. If your useing Goex fff then you can start at 20g but I would not go past 25g and that is even pushing it.
You may find that the .375 balls are a little loose and most .36 shooters like 380 or .389 balls.
Make sure you clean the revolver real well before fireing and also grease it really well. It would really be a good idea to buy a book on the subject or do a Google search for "Loading and shooting the .36 Navy" You will find some good articals and advice. Please do that before you go out and fire it and maybe hurt yourself or someone around you. Don't get me wrong here, they are safe and fun to shoot but it never hurts to be really sure of what your doing and to get to know the gun before you fire it.
Old December 4, 2005, 02:22 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks to Gatofeo (uglycat), we have this. Click here on How to use a blackpowder revolver link It's from our sister site, The High Road. Enjoy.
Old December 4, 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
MPP1423

Lol.i Told You Mike,im Not Up On The .36 Much.i Want One But Jsut Havent Got It Yet.but,you Know I Said I Wanted A .31 Cal Well Dixie Has The 1849 Colt Hartford On Sale For 129.00!! Oh Yea,its Mine.lol.im Odering It Thie Week.i Might Need Your Help Cause Ive Never Had A .31 Either.lol.

Jr,mike Is Right About The 777 Being Hotter ,10-15% More So Than Goex.i Told You These Other Guys Have More Info,they Are The Pros.
Old December 4, 2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Remington kid

Kevin, I don't know a thing about the .31 and the .36 I had was years ago and I sold it like a dummy because I was to busy to mess with it. Now Im after another right after Christmas , Maybe a Navy .36. My info comes from a lot of reading about them on here and other sites from guy's who have them and know what works and what doesn't.
Congrats on the .31! That thing has got to kick less than a .22 Gotta be fun to shoot!
Forgot to tell you your package is ready and will go out in the morning Priority mail.
Old December 4, 2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Remington kid

4V50Gary, How much longer before your book goes to press? Please let me know so I can be one of the first in line to get it.
Old December 4, 2005, 08:27 PM   #8
MPP1423

thanks mike! i'll let ya know when i get the .31
Old December 5, 2005, 04:49 PM   #9
bjmanersr

Its a "COLT" colt 36 caliber and thanks to everone

for the info!!