The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 10, 2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Fatbot

Question for thompson owners

Greetings

Ok I know this defeats the purpose of owning a thompson , but what sort of ranges can they accurately shoot out to when firing semi auto?

many thanks
Fatbot
Old August 12, 2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

All things are variable, certainly - - -

First round hits on a silhouette (usually) to around 70 yards from standing unsupported. Over half the time out to perhaps 125.

With a rest, first or second round hits to 200.

Clearly, the open bolt makes precision problematic. The TSMG is, by design, a close quarters weapon.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 15, 2005, 02:51 AM   #3
Fatbot

Great stuff, thanks for that info.
Old August 15, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4
iiwas

ive got a long barrel thompson and was able to shoot the caps off of 20oz. bottles at 100yds with out a problem. past about 130 or so i had trouble keeping them on a 31/2 in steel plate.
Old August 15, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Wow, I had no idea how accurate one could be!

It makes sense - - The long barrel, semi-auto Thompsons fire from a closed bolt, and this makes it a lot easier to stay on target.

iiwas, you write that you're "able to shoot the caps off of 20oz. bottles at 100yds with out a problem." I'm very impressed, both with your masksmanship and the accuracy of your Thompson carbine.

I went and measured the cap of a two-liter 7-Up bottle just now - - 1.20 inch (1-2/10") diameter by .775 inch high, including the collar that stays on the bottle once the seal is broken. This indicates you shoot sub-two-inch groups with your gun and some very accurate cartridges. Wow - - Better than a majority of iron sighted deer rifles with factory ammunition. Better than government standards for an M1 Garand with M2 Ball.

Have you mounted some sort of optical sight on your carbine? Using the factory sights, just hitting a 20 ounce bottle with a .45 bullet is mighty good shooting.

Best,
Johnny
Old September 16, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6
greco

Wow...he IS good. I can't hit diddly with mine at 100 yards because the sights are crude, and the bolt jars everything. Plus the trigger is not target-crisp. If I stay at 50 yarfd or less, it's a lot better.
Old October 9, 2005, 08:04 AM   #7
iiwas

johnny, no on the optics. it took about three boxes of rounds to get used to where the rounds were going with the basicly non adjustable iron sights. i was firing from the bench and hit the bottles 8 out of 10 times 3 times in the cap the first time i tried that. it took about three monthes to get it down pat. 6 out of 10 in the cap is my personal best. the rounds were picked up at walmart on the way to the range. nice 100 yd range outside of richmond hill ga. (about 30 minutes from ft stewart and 40 minutes from savannah) if your ever in the area swing by on saterdays. lot of guys from the post go there. its always interesting to see the weapons the infantry guys bring out