The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1
xwray

Original cartridge specs for a given caliber

This is probably asking for too much but I'll ask anyway. I'm looking for a spreadsheet or online table that documents the original cartridge specs - bullet weight, FPS, and powder type/load if possible - of all currently available calibers. In other words I'd like to know when a new firearm/caliber combo was first developed, what were the intended cartridge specifications for that weapon.

I hope that makes sense...I just want to know what the original cartridge characteristics were before all subsequent variations of a given caliber were developed - the cartridge genesis if you will.

Perhaps there's a particular loading manual that might have the original cartridge specs hilited for reference or suchlike?

Thanks for any feedback
Old April 23, 2013, 05:57 AM   #2
griz

I'm not exactly sure of what you are looking for, but usually the ammo companies have a list of the calibers they load and the velocity. Here is Federal's for instance.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

ALL currently available cartridges?

A bit of a project you've chosen to bite off.

Your best bet is to start with a copy of Cartridges of the World.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

One other point...

A lot of modern cartridges don't have a "genesis" load. They were developed and introduced with multiple bullet styles and weights to appeal to a broad range of shooters.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Yup.
A copy of CotW and a stack of old catalogs or at least Shooters Bibles with listings of ammunition going back for years and years.
If you care to search it out, you can find early issue bullet weight and velocity.
I don't know of any place that you will find it spoon fed for you, that is the sort of research that most researchers expect to be paid for.
Some of us here could and would look up historical information on one particular caliber of interest, but I know I am not going to dig out bulk data just to post on the internet.

Very few makers will reveal what powder they use or used, though.
There is the Internet Wisdom that factory ammunition is loaded with powders not available to the American Commoner, and some is. But not all, but they still won't say. And it doesn't mean much because the ammo plant buys powder on bids and what they use this quarter may not be what they used last quarter.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
xwray

Thanks for the feedback...I know that to compile such a database would be a tremendous amount of work which is why I was hoping it had already been done somewhere.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Jimro

This is relatively easy with military cartridges, this is where I would start. Considering that many of the most successful commercial cartridges have been based off of military cartridges you should be able to get a handle on the bulk of hunting ammo that was designed to improve on the parent case.

There are exceptions to the military heritage of hunting cartridges, such as the 30-30 and 375 H&H (and all the magnums that they spawned).

But what you will find is that there are "families" of cartridges with a bit of overlap between them as far as performance goes.

Jimro