The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
phamily man

Finally bought the Px4 subcompact!!

Hey all,

Thanks again for all the input when I was shopping around! I opted for the Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact in 9mm. I almost ordered the .40, but I figured that being rated for +p ammo, if it came down to it, a few extra rounds of 9mm would do the trick!

So I ordered from my local gun shop (always buy local!!!) and it should arrive in a week or so. He's going on vacation in 2 weeks, so I may have to wait an extra week... whatever.

I'll put up some picks and a range report once I get it in my hot little hands!!

Thanks again, all!
-Shoot straight, and not too often
Old July 7, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Noreaster

Let us know how it shoots. Beretta is a great name and the PX4 line is a great firearm.
Old July 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Capt. Dixie

PX4

I had one. Best accuracy in a subcompact I've seen in a long time. This is
when they first came out. At the time, there were no holsters being made for it. Sold it and regret that sale ever since. I installed the stealth levers on it and also night sites. Little bulkiness was it's only caveat but, that was
a minor inconvenience for the capacity and accuracy. First outing, myself and my brother-in-law were hitting hanging plates at 25 yards without even trying. I contemplated purchasing another one last couple of weeks and got sucked-into purchasing the new .40 Shield. Nice weapon, too. You'll enjoy the PX4 Sub. BTW, mine was 9mm.
Old July 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
spodwo

I REALLY like my PX4 SubC - better shooter (to me) than the G26. Plus it looks like a pistol from some Sci Fi movie!
Old July 7, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
arch308

I bought one used and I really like it. I find it to be a really comfortable gun to shoot for it's size and very accurate. I've run apx. 500 rnds of my reloads with out a hitch. Good choice on your part. I think you will love it.
Old July 8, 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
weldonjr2001

I've got the 9mm and .40 SCs. They are among my favorite carry pistols. The 9mm did have to go back to the mother ship for a minor problem, front sight loose in the dovetail, but other than that, they have both been perfectly reliable.

After you determine if yours is a keeper, consider getting one or more of the full sized PX4 magazines for it, along with the Xgrip mag adapter. It makes the full sized magazine in the SC feel great, and offers additional capacity, though the 13 round SC mags are pretty impressive in a pistol as small as the PX4SC.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:06 AM   #7
1911Alaska

Excited for this review. I am thinking about getting my girlfriend a PX4 here soon as a gift. But the trigger pull and the size of it are why I am hesitating. She has pretty small hand, so small that my 1911 was to hard for her to shoot effectively. But my Walther P99 fits perfect in her hands.

Unfortunently she is not 21 yet so legally she cannot come to the gun store with me and see what guns fit good to her hands. But legally I can buy one for her as a gift. Don't understand that law lol

The trigger on the PX4 is Double action/single action correct?
Old January 2, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Xaak

PX4 Storm SubCompact

I have purchased this pistol in 9 mm. I have found the following items that may be useful to some who are deciding on purchasing.

The pistol feels very comfortable in the hand, the magazine with snapgrip extension affording me more control on firing as my pinky had a resting place (I guess?). When purchased my firearm came with two magazines, a regular and the snapgrip, as Beretta called it.

The pistol, as described, is very compact, easy for concealed carry, smooth edges so no hang ups and light in the hand and on belt. It is no secret that this derringer sized semi auto multi-round firearm is built well and excellent for concealed carry use.

Manipulation of the various functions are very smooth, and firing the pistol is surprisingly controllable. Admittedly, the snapgrip magazine afforded me the best results, but again, it may be mind over matter as no group exceeded 3 inches at 25 yards. Pretty fair considering my normal results with the full sized 92FS, the small firearm and the ammo used.

Of that, I shot Federal Tactical 124gr JHP, Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P, Hornady’s 135-grain +P 9mm Critical Duty and Federal American Eagle 124 gr FMJ. I had not a single FTF or FTE. All ammunition cycled the slide fully and at 25 yards the Hornady seemed to give me the best, and tightest, groups from this pistol. The +P ammunition is safe in this firearm, as Beretta has stated, however, they warn about it causing increased wear on long term use. The majority of the 200 rounds fired was the American Eagle round.

I also had my wife shoot this pistol for her opinion, and I may have lost it to her as her personal carry firearm as she thought it was significantly better than any of the firearms she had been using. In her words, "it just feels good". Her groups, while slightly larger, also revealed this particular firearm fed and fired the Hornady better when compared to each other and her normal shooting results.

I hope it helps, while not very technical, I would recommend this pistol especially for concealed carry. The 9mm version seems more than ample with 13 rounds, especially considering the ammunition these days has improved to be better in expansion and stopping power.

Last edited by Xaak; January 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
bitttorrrent

Quote:
I installed the stealth lever
Looking forward to the review as I have and love my px4 full size. What does the above refer to? The slimmer controls?