The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
WhistlerSWE

.44 precision loads for 25y and 50y?

Hi!
New to this forum, to handloading and pretty much anything in general, I'd like to know if anyone has experience making loads that are accurate at (up to) 25 yards and another for 50 yards using a .44.

I've got a S&W Mod 629 Classic Champion that has had its barrel shortened to 6", I'm planning to go a different path from all the .38's out there and use it for PPC. With limited time for shooting, the recoil is a big factor, hence I want a load that is mild but still enough to be accurate.

I'm planning to use .44Mag casings. Please recommend suitable bullets, primers and powders, as well as load data for these two distances.

Thanks in advance!

/Jonas, Sweden

PS: The press is a Hornady Lock N Load

Last edited by WhistlerSWE; June 8, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I had excellent results in .44 Special from the Plain Jane hornady 240 grain swaged lead SWC over just 2.9 grains of Bullseye. 1.75" groups at 25 yards from a 3" Charter Bulldog. No, that wasn't a typo.

In the bigger case, and especially if you have to knock plates or anything over, I would look at 5, 6 or even 7 grains of Bullseye. If the soft Hornady bullet gives you leading issues you can try hard cast SWC's. You should also be able to get 200 grain bullets to shoot well. They are plenty long enough in .44.

You should look at trimming your cases all to the exact same length so the roll crimps you make have the same tension.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 8, 2009, 02:47 PM   #3
WhistlerSWE

Unclenick: Thank you! 1.75" groupings sound great! I guess it can't be worse with twice the barrel length?

What about 50y? I have no intentions to knock any plates over, I just have to punch a hole in the paper.

Are there any equivalents to the Bullseye powder? In Sweden we mostly use Vihtavuori...

Last edited by WhistlerSWE; June 9, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old June 8, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Sam06

Bullseye is between VVN 310 and 320. I would think either would work but I would lean toward 320. I would look into finding a source for either a DEWC or a Wadcutter at about 210-220gr. Keep it between 750-850 fps and it should be a sweet heart load in a 6" 44 Mag.