The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1
wwmkwood

.223 using small pistol magnum primmers?

Has anyone tried this? Besides the start low warnings will the magnum pistol primmers have a hard enough cup?
Old February 25, 2009, 02:10 PM   #2
MaineColt

mis-read
Old February 25, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
kraigwy

Pistol primers have thinner cups, good way to get primer piercing and gas in your face.

Use rifle primers for rifles, pistol primers for pistols.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

In an AR, you're likely to have slam-fires.

In an AR, you're likely to have pierced primers.

In anything else, you're likely to have pierced primers.

It's not really worth the effort / risk.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:56 AM   #5
sourdough44

Not that I suggest it but here is what I did. I got a bunch(1000) SP mag primers for $10. I shoot more rifle than handgun. While thinking about all the potential problems I loaded up some modest loads for my bolt action 204. My loads were in the lower/mid range for powder charge. I shot about 10 of the loads with not a one problem. I wouldn't make a habit of it & my plan is to use them in a 357.
Old February 26, 2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Sevens

I don't even know why I need to post another of the same thing... but I will anyhow.

A rifle round that's producing 40-60,000 psi is like a plasma cutting torch, and a good cheek weld on the stock puts your face very near that action.

Don't do something stupid. Primer cups on pistol primers are very well known to be much thinner.
Old February 26, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
MADISON

Using pistol primers on rifle reloads

Rifle primers are harder than pistol primers.
I have a "squib" load [About 1850 fps] for .223 and one for 22 Hornet.
So far the only way to get consistant ignition in the squib Hornet is with Small Pistol Primers.
Old February 26, 2009, 03:46 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADISON
Rifle primers are harder than pistol primers.
I have a "squib" load [About 1850 fps] for .223 and one for 22 Hornet.
So far the only way to get consistant ignition in the squib Hornet is with Small Pistol Primers.
If you are having light primer strikes in your Hornet; get a new firing pin spring.
1850 fps is a bit slow, but not a squib load for the Hornet.

I am having a hard time seeing how you could justify going from a rifle primer to a pistol primer to increase 'consistency' with ignition. If anything, it should have caused more problems; if you were having ignition issues. (The Hornet rarelly encounters ignition problems, anyway. The small case volume and fast powders used, typically mean poor ignition was caused by contaminated powder, contaminated primers, or a light firing pin strike.)

Rifle (small or large) primers are 'hotter', and designed to ignite larger powder charges than their Pistol primer counterparts. The .22 Hornet has a case capacity lower than that of many large pistol cartridges, and almost all magnum pistol cartridges.

.22 Hornet reloaders typically only go to small pistol primers to squeeze a little more velocity out of a load, where rifle primers were giving pressure signs prior to a calculated attainable velocity. In theory, the cooler burning pistol primer gives better ignition time, and a cooler flame front to avoid pressure spikes seen with instantaneous ignition of the entire powder charge while using small rifle primers.

Because the .22 Hornet runs at lower pressures than it's 'big brothers', small pistol primers can usually be used safely with lighter bullets.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Prince55

Shouldn't about 12gr of Lil Gun and a 45gr bullet be ok with a regular small
pistol primer in a CZ 527 Hornet ?

Thanks
Old February 27, 2009, 01:07 AM   #10
zxcvbob

Should work fine for cast bullet loads in a bolt-action or single-shot. Just keep the pressure below 40000 psi. I wouldn't try it in an automatic (slam fire.) Watch for pierced primers. Don't even think about it for full-tilt .223 loads. (Cast bullets in a .223?)