The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1
J_C

Newbie questions about revolvers?

Why do some of the smaller Taurus revolvers look different from say the Smith and Wesson ones? The Taurus doesn't look like they have external hammers on them. Also, is the smith and wesson a better quality revolver? I know there is a lot of history behind the name. And last, for a newbie should one get a .38 or a 357 magnum.

I like the simplicity of the revolver.....
Old November 14, 2005, 12:00 AM   #2
Sir William

There are multiple similarities shared by Taurus and S&W. They even duplicate their offerings. Bangor Punta formerly owned S&W and then the factory was sold in Brazil and Taurus used Bangor Punta/S&W machinery/tooling. Quality is about equal between S&W and Taurus. The hammer or lack thereof is model based and a personal choice/taste. I prefer 38 Special revolvers myself. 357 Magnum revolvers are somewhat slow to reacquire a sight picture due to recoil. My suggestion is to look for older S&W revolvers. A M65 or M66 357 Magnum, round butt and 3" barrel with 38 Specials would be great. A M64 38 Special would be just fine. A M&P/M10 S&W 38 Special with a 3" barrel would do. I admit to liking the Taurus M85 and M66 revolvers too.
Old November 14, 2005, 12:04 AM   #3
MostToysWins

Look at Ruger as well...

IMHO, S&W does make a better quality revolver then Taurus, that is NOT sayng the Taurus is a BAD firearm. Its like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota basically the same car with a few subtle differences.

The Taurus revolvers I have fired have been solid guns and good shooters, I have never owned one so I cannot speak for their reliability. I'm sure the Taurus owners will speak up shortly.

Another brand to consider is Ruger, particularly the GP100 (which I do own). They are built like tanks and won't drain your wallet the way a S&W will. I also own a S&W Model 60 in .38sp. GREAT shooter and something else for you to consider.

I would suggest getting a .357 revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel. With a .357, you can shoot both .38sp AND .357 shells out of them. Being able to shoot the .38's is awesome because it is cheaper to practice with .38's, and easier to learn how to shoot properly because of the mild recoil. If you are planning on doing any small game hunting 6" barrel might suit you better. I have the 6" GP100 and it is a great all around gun, I am 6'3" 225lbs so I do not mind the extra weight of the 6" barrel.

Once you get comfortable with the .38's, load up some .357's and let the big dog eat!

Just my .02...hope it helps!

Old November 14, 2005, 12:42 AM   #4
joab

Quote:
Why do some of the smaller Taurus revolvers look different from say the Smith and Wesson ones? The Taurus doesn't look like they have external hammers on them
Some have external hammers some don't in both Smith and Tarus.

Quote:
Also, is the smith and wesson a better quality revolver?
Yes, but I don't think they as much better as the price difference would indicate

Quote:
I know there is a lot of history behind the name.
Like Sir Williams has already pointed out their histories are intertwined in many ways
Quote:
And last, for a newbie should one get a .38 or a 357
Again as has already been pointed out get the 357 and shoot 38s if you don't like the recoil, you can always go down but you can't always go up.
Beside a .357 would be a stronger built gun

i Have owned many Taurus revolvers
Right now I have three and have shot the hell outta one. The only malfunction so far on any of them has been a broken firing pin return(?) spring on a CH85, the one I have shot alot,.
Gun still functions but the pin does not retract on it's own, it just kind of free floats now.

I don't carry it anymore because it has been replaced by a Taurus 445 that I like better for it's size