The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2014, 09:17 PM   #26
Longshot4

I received a Redding hand Uniforming tool today in the mail and went to the reloading room. The start of this post was about primers not fully seating. I ordered a uniformer and here is what I found out. When I started working pockets of WW cases the corners were slightly cut out. That may be why the primers were about .002 high when seated. Most all the WW cases were about the same. On the R-P cases I was able to take out less from the corners. Not Bad Then I came across cases that I had ID as match do to the way they shot. These cases were Federal. When I ran the uniformer in them I found little resistance with the tool since there was only some slight contact in the pocket bottoms. Lesson is: Fed. cases had better uniform primer pockets and were more accurate. The win. and R-P cases shoot well but not with the ability of the Federal cases. Now the next problem is trying to find 222 Rem. cases in Federal. I can't find them any where.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:53 AM   #27
flashhole

Don't know how much experience you have with Federal brass but I find the primer pockets enlarge and after just a few firings I can't use them any more.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 6, 2014, 06:48 AM   #28
Bart B.

Any case that cannot be reloaded at least a dozen times and primer pocket stays tight is being charged with too much powder. Even Federal ones I've reloaded with normal maximum listed powder charges went over 15 reloads.

Primer pockets not holding primers after 3 firings means peak pressure is too high. That can happen with no visible signs of excessive pressure as seen by the reloader.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:24 AM   #29
BumbleBug

For years I subscribed to the bench shooters advice of "use a hand tool & feel the primer seat". After trying Lee & RCBS, I almost bought Sinclair's $125 hand tool. Thankfully, I gave up on the hand priming. Now I uniform my pockets & use a ram primer die for a mechanical stop. This combo I'm really pleased with.

FWIW...

...bug

Last edited by BumbleBug; August 6, 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:02 AM   #30
Longshot4

I had a problem with seating the primer do to the depth of the hole. Since the primers were going in but deforming when trying to seat I chose to use the uniformer to cut to spec. If I get a problem with the effort of pressing the primer into the pocket I will purchase the swagger. Thanks for your help.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:24 PM   #31
flashhole

"Any case that cannot be reloaded at least a dozen times and primer pocket stays tight is being charged with too much powder. Even Federal ones I've reloaded with normal maximum listed powder charges went over 15 reloads."

I wish that were the case with my 25-06. I'm shooting low pressure Retumbo loads compared to pressure data charts and just not getting the life out of the Federal cases. Same charge in my reformed 30-06 to 25-06 HXP headstamp, no problems, some of those cases have more than 20 firings and the primer pocket is still tight. The HXP rejects are split necks like I would expect because that is the brass that gets worked the most.

Are you ready for civil war?