The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2008, 03:29 PM   #1
2amencw

found hunting knife

back in 1999 I was hunting in the Caddo Grassland public hunting area near Paris TX. I found a handmade hunting knife with the most beautiful wood handle with a blind tang design. There was a name on the sheath that started with a "c". The owner was probably driving a Izuzu trooper type vehicle, I think it was red, I tried to catch up to him but to no avail. I never had any means to look for the owner. If this sounds familiar drop me a pm,tell me what the name is and what picture is on the sheath. Thanks CW
Old December 7, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
bclark1

Very nice of you - good luck finding the owner.

I lost a Gerber Ashtabula County, Ohio - not expecting to hear from that ever again. Probably lost to a meth lab explosion by now.
Old December 7, 2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Doing the Right Thing...

2 Amen CW--It's been 9 years or so since you found that knife. By now, the owner has probably given up searching for it. But, good on you, still trying to Do the Right Thing.

In the meanwhile, I'd keep the knife clean and sharp, and use it--carefully, like you'd borrowed a bud's "nice" knife, with the understanding that if the owner ever does show up he gets it back.

Most of us who have spent more than a few years of hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking, have left a trail of lost equipment all up and down our respective areas. I know I have.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; December 7, 2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
2amencw

lost knife

Hopefully this description will sound familiar to someone. This was a pretty unique knife and sheath. There is alot of tlc put into it. The owner also had some affiliation with the Marine Corps. I am former Marine Corporal. I will post a picture of the knife. I know it has been a long time but some guy just got a ring returned after 30 years at the bottom of a lake so I figure it is worth the stretch. Semper Fi.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Casimer

If it's a custom knife, you might be able to track down the maker - and they may be able identify the buyer by the name that you have. You could try posting a picture to one of the custom knife forums.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/index.php
Old December 7, 2008, 09:20 PM   #6
LHB1

2amen,
Sorry, that isn't my knife. My handmade knife with about 4" blade and beautiful Claro Walnut handle in fitted leather sheath was stolen from my house near Houston. The blade is etched with the Christian fish symbol with my name (Berry) inside the fish. I would dearly love to have that knife back. Would also like to use it to castrate the young punk that stole it.
Old December 7, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Hawg

Post a pic of it and you'll have all kinds of people claiming it. After all this time it's yours.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:56 PM   #8
2amencw

pics

Here are some pics of the knife. I know the chances of finding the owner are slim, but every year when I start geting ready for the hunting season there it is in my hunting gear reminding me of the things I have lost in the woods. I once made a coat from an old wool army blanket. I hand stitched the entire thing and it was better than gortex or the best camo. I set it down one spring day while turkey hunting and forgot it. Well the camo worked because I could not find it again. Every year I still walk several circles around that part of the woods and look under the old logs in vain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 179.JPG (115.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 180.JPG (142.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 187.JPG (131.4 KB, 122 views)
Old December 8, 2008, 12:09 AM   #9
B. Lahey

That "C" looks a lot like the mason doodad:

I don't know if there are Masonic discussion boards you could post this on, maybe put up a notice at the local lodges?
Old December 8, 2008, 09:15 AM   #10
ChristopherG

man that's nice.
I had an old ammunition pouch that came with my mosin nagant stuffed full of wads, balls, powder, and a powder measurer last weekend. Damn thing fell right off in the middle of a 10 mile trek back to the car. After that walk, I was way to lazy to even try and go back and look
Old December 8, 2008, 10:24 PM   #11
publius

Ever know somebody with waaay more money than sense? one of my brother's friends leaned his Steyr against a tree tracking a deer if I remember. this was on his own property. He went back to get the rifle (never was clear on why he left it in the first place) and couldn't find it. I think my brother said he looked for a couple of hours and gave up. this was about 3 years ago, I asked my brother to tell me which square mile he lost it in. I'll find it. We never went up there, it was in the middle of the dumbasses property and he would've wanted it if we found it.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:33 PM   #12
FrontSight

Oh man, you've got a Free Mason Druid's knife...they are gonna come after you!
Old December 9, 2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Desertfox

Funny story about Caddo Natn'l grasslands. I shot a buck and left my Marlin 30-30 leaning against the tree where I field dressed the buck.
4 of us hunting. Day after Thanksgiving. Like 2000 trucks parked around the areas.
We gathered everything up. Two bucks down and we all carried stuff out. I carried half of two bucks. Noone carried my 30-30.
I went back the next day and retrieved my rifle. Happy to still have it.