The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

Ca Hunting Questions

Let me start off by saying I have never been hunting, but have been shooting for many years.

I live in Riverside County near the Cleveland National Forest the closest of which national forest district being the Trabuco District.

Does anyone have any experience or information with hunting here? I checked the webpage out but it only listed the game -deer, furbearers (what is that foxs and varmits?), quail, and pigeon. No dates were listed as to the seasons for when such game can be taken?

From the sounds of some info. that ive researched Deer in CNF Trabuco District is hard to come by? I am up to hunt anything tho.

Also, from what i gather you CAN open carry a sidearm when hunting in National Forest but NOT if in national park? Guess i need some maps eh.

As i said i have round about zero experience or knowledge when it comes to hunting, but i want to jump in.

thanks
Old August 21, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
rtpzwms

Do you have a hunting license or a hunters safety course certificate?
I'm guessing now and I'm not being harsh but probably not. So to start you'll need to take care of that first and some of the gun shops will have the information that you are looking for if not the hunters safety course instructor most likely will. California has a large number of regulations about hunting that you will want to know BEFORE you go. One example is if you carry a rifle and pistol hunting at the same time BOTH must be loaded with non lead projectiles approved for hunting in the state within certain areas. Dept of Fish and Game web site will have a lot of what you're looking for as well. Good Luck.
Old August 21, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
TheGoldenState

I have NOT taken my hunter safety course, however i know the guys who run the local one a mere 15 minutes away for like 20 bucks. Im not one worried about that. I am aware of the LEAD rule. My biggest concern, or rather lack of info. is in regards to the game and its availability in the CNF Trabuco area.

cheers!
Old August 21, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
rtpzwms

Yea welcome to socal!:barf:
Old August 21, 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

I was talking to someone awhile back i think from Texas? and he was saying how the wild Boars out there are everywhere and you shoot as many as you see. Here in CA, you gotta pay good money to get em
Old August 21, 2010, 07:33 PM   #6
rtpzwms

Well thats mostly true unless hunting with a BMW! I had a friend going home late at night a while back. He was driving on a dark road in the woods rounded a corner and BAMB one wild pig bagged! After checking to be sure the job was done he loaded it in the trunk and butchered it at home.... a very costly pig!

The road kill cafe is now open!
Old August 22, 2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Here in CA, you gotta pay good money to get em
Absolutely not true. There are thousands of acres of National Forest very close to you. Try going a bit north to Fort Hunter Liggett near Paso Robles. Hunt finger ridges early and late. Or go to the Los Padres National Forest around King City. Or go to any vineyard owner north of the Grapevine. Yes, there are lots of people who make a living charging city folk to come out and kill a pig, but there are also lots of vineyards that are just plain tired of all the damage and want to get rid of the pigs.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:05 AM   #8
sc928porsche

I would suggest you complete your hunter safety course first. This will take a few days to do. While you are doing this, get a copy of DF&G laws for hunting. Most sporting goods shops will have copies, if not get in touch with the DF&G office near you. It will list the area boundries, seasons, and method of take for most game. Your best source for maps of the area you want to hunt will be through the BLM. They usually have area and topographical maps. As for hunting conditions of that area, your best bet is to contact the GW for that particular district. They usually know how many herds are in that area.

I havnt hunted the coast area since I was a kid living in lompoc, but watch out for the poison oak! Most of my years were spent hunting the Sierras. You better get a rush on because if memory serves me correctly, deer season opens up about mid September.

Good luck to you.
Old August 22, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Absolutely not true. There are thousands of acres of National Forest very close to you. Try going a bit north to Fort Hunter Liggett near Paso Robles. Hunt finger ridges early and late. Or go to the Los Padres National Forest around King City. Or go to any vineyard owner north of the Grapevine. Yes, there are lots of people who make a living charging city folk to come out and kill a pig, but there are also lots of vineyards that are just plain tired of all the damage and want to get rid of the pigs.
checked out Fort Hunter. Very interested. However, that is a solid 8 hour drive from me (mapquest). King City, being even further North, is around 10. Like i said i am looking to hunt within reasonable distance which is why I reference CNF-Trabuco District.

My point i was trying to make about the pigs is that in MANY other places there are nuisance animals shoot on site type of deal- where as for me, itd take a half a days drive each way, sleeping arrangements, tags etc. Not practical for someone who has never hunted.
Old August 22, 2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Fat White Boy

I live in Orange, about 15 miles away from you. You can take your Hunter's Safety Course at Raahauge's Shooting Sports in Norco. Call them for the schedule. You are about 4 hours from King City. My son and I each took hogs in the 200# range using Nessen Schmidt Guide Service in King City. There are other guides in the area.

Hunting Cleveland National Forest is not always easy. It is mostly 80% slope. It does have deer(California Coastal Blacktail), quail, doves and rabbits. There are some flat areas but it is mostly steep hills densely covered with chaparral. It is legal to hunt there but check with the Ranger Station for fire closures and other restrictions. It would be great hog country but I haven't heard of them in the area, as of yet. It is only a matter of time, though. They are in the Santa Ana River bed so it won't surprise me to hear they have been sighted...
Old August 22, 2010, 11:28 PM   #11
TheGoldenState

FWB,

Raahauges is the one id be going to. only 4 hrs, guess its south of the Fort than and not North (because form my house to the aforementioned bade is a few minutes under 7 hours without adding in traffic and stops).

You added to the concerns i had about CNF. Guess ill have to get a few buddies and head to King. Did you and your son do guided? how did it all work?
Old August 24, 2010, 12:19 AM   #12
Fat White Boy

No, King City is just North of Hunter Liggett/Camp Roberts. If you go up the 101, it will take you 7 hours. If you can keep it around 75mph, it should take about 4 hours on the following route. Take the 210 West to the 5 North to Hwy 46 West to Paso Robles then go North on HWY 101. It is 2 hours to HWY 46, 1 hour to Paso Robles from the 5, King city is 40 miles North of Paso Robles. If you leave at the wrong time, it will take longer.

We have used Nessen Schmidt Guide Service. He charges about $600 for a weekend hunt (1hog per Hunter) with a guide for each two hunters. He has hunting rights to over 100,000 acres in the area. The last two years my son and I hunted with them, we got our pigs on the first morning. He charges $100 more for a trophy(4"+ tusks). He has a guy, Lino Maninni, who will butcher your hog for about $100, wrapping and labeling the meat. Be sure to get some of his Swiss Sausage. He charges a little extra for it to cover the cost of additional store bought pork he uses to up the fat content.

I used to get chops, roasts, hams, etc. Now, I only get the loins, ribs and backstraps whole. I get about 25 punds of Swiss Sausage then have the rest of the meat chunked into 5 pound packages. I make my own sausage out of it. Deelish!! email me if you need any more info...

Last edited by Fat White Boy; August 24, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old August 24, 2010, 12:29 AM   #13
TheGoldenState

ok just tad north as i first thought. Im glad to hear real time is MUCH less than what mapquest had me at.

I checked out Nessen Shmidt online and one of the links was listed for hunting outfit in HUNTINGTON Beach. I clicked on it huntcedarcanyon.com and you can hunt Boar (600) and Buffalo (2200) unguided 3 ay hunts.

Im going to give them a call and get the skinny.

Thanks for all your info, i am sure i will shoot you an email when i get closer to hammering details out.

[edit] Not sure why it was listed as in HB, it is in Kern County. an hour past LA.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:56 PM   #14
publius

Get in touch with the park ranger and the game wardens in that county. Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries can give you the info to contact your GW. They could also tell you about the regs. It's a good idea to get to know your GW though and I would try to get in touch with them first. Start experimenting with your unleaded loads (Barnes) some guns are finicky with them.
Old September 11, 2010, 06:57 PM   #15
evoasis

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm a resident in Orange County and am interested in getting into hunting in SoCal!
Old September 11, 2010, 10:26 PM   #16
tachunter

I live in and hunt California. I'll tell you right now if you don't have or know anyone with private land you have your work cut out for you to hunt pigs, deer, or Elk. I hunt both, but actually find hunting public land more rewarding. I've been out of state and the hunting here is more difficult. The terrain is unforgiving and the deer here seem to be more educated. All the information you need is on the Cal DFG website. Even down to how specific information on hunting each area.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:38 PM   #17
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I'll tell you right now if you don't have or know anyone with private land you have your work cut out for you
Prety much what ive gatheres
Old September 13, 2010, 02:47 PM   #18
markj

You could always call nugent for advise... well maybe not.....