The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 7, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
corvairkid64

Double Barrel Recommendations?

From what I'm reading in the Firing Line, I'm probably better off looking for a used gun in good shape to stay in my price range.
Opinions on what to look for used around $500 - $700 in an O/U or SxS?
Old April 7, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
oneounceload

What's the intended purpose? That might make a difference
Old April 7, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Charles Ellis

I just bought a Browning Citori 12 ga.O/U for $550.It had the usual stock dings and the stock had been shortened about an inch for a smaller shooter.For the price I can live with the dings and it will cost about $100 to get a spacer put in the stock.New price at the local gun shop for an almost identical gun is over $1700.There are some good deals out there good luck finding one.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
oneounceload

Typically, you'll find used field guns at lower prices than their target-version counterparts. If you're not into shooting tons of clays, then that would be a good way to go - IMO.

For targets, I prefer a heavier gun - more in the 8-9# range to help soak up recoil. If I'm chasing birds hither and yon, I want the lightest gun I can shoot well, typically somewhere in the 6# range
Old April 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
BigJimP

+1 on OneOunces question - usage ??

A used Browning or Beretta are always a good choice / but don't pick a mfg until you know what dimensions on a gun fits you (they do not come in one size fits all ) - drop at comb, heel, length of pull, etc ...are all very important details.

Not every Browning Citori will fit me ( or anyone else ) ...and by the way, there are at least 25 Citori sub-models ..... so when someone says they bought a Citori ...all you know is it is a Browning shotgun ....and it doesn't tell you very much...

I "shop" the used gunstores all the time ...and I did pick up a Browning Citori, Lightning model, 28" barrels, field comb, with the older Invector screw in chokes, 12ga ...for around $ 750 a few months ago. It had some scratches - but I'll sand and refinish it ( maybe put 20 hrs into it ) ...clean it up and put it in a nice hard case for one of the grandkids down the road ...

There are some deals out there - but you have to shop hard ...and beat me and 10,000 other guys to them ....

Last edited by BigJimP; April 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Charles Ellis

BigJimP,the Citori that you bought sounds a lot like the one I was talking about.I'm glad you also found a good deal.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
oneounceload

And if you like the Browning design - look for Miroku guns. Same company, same design, lesser price - just as well-made.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8
BigJimP

I'm not hurting for an extra Browning or two, or three ... Charles .../ but I enjoy the hunt for a good deal ...

when the grankids turn 16 ...(and I have 10 of them now ..) .. I like to have a shotgun for them ...if they have some interest in the shooting sports ...and that entry level Citori (called a Citori Lightning now) is selling new for around $ 1,700 around here. Its a good gun for the money - if it fits you ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=461

but the older versions of the same gun ....that sold new in the late 1980's for around $ 750 - still demand $750 - $1,000 used in my area / so it was a very lucky find.

My primary guns are Browning Citori XS Skeet models ( 30" barrels ) - that I use for hunting birds, Skeet and Sporting clays .... the Lightning model has way too much drop at the comb for me personally ....but for growing kids ...they make a nice present / they're very strong guns.

OneOunce makes a good point of the Miroku made guns though too ...