The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 7, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
GunXpatriot

Barrel Fouling Shots... Copper Fouling?

I just started to really try to get accuracy out of this rifle. I notice I had a pretty decent bit of copper fouling, even though the gun is relatively new with few rounds through it. Is this normal? I'll probably be ordering some Butch's Bore Shine, which apparently is this amazing, magical bore cleaning elixir of life... Anyone have experience with it? Also, how often should an aggressive solvent like this be used? Every 100-200 rounds?

I know that after a cleaning, you need a few fouling shots to see any accuracy. I was wondering if this was the same for copper? Let's say I shot 20 rounds at the range, cleaned my gun with a regular non-aggressive solvent and then went back to the range. I guess I'd need a few fouling shots. But let's say I shot 100 rounds, I cleaned my gun with a product like Butch's bore bright, got all the copper and other fouling out, etc... Would it take more fouling shots because of the removal of the copper? I guess what I'm wondering is... Are small amounts of copper fouling good for accuracy? Or will it just ruin accuracy, even in small amounts?

Last edited by GunXpatriot; December 7, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2
pabuckslayer08

It really varies gun to gun, some like to be clean of anything and others like 5-8 shots through them before they really start zeroing in. Whens the last time this gun was cleaned, you may have to take a brush to the inside to knock the crap out
Old December 7, 2012, 07:49 AM   #3
30Cal

1-2 shots.

For an old rifle with a lot of pitting, it can take longer.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Fowling shots?

Your chickens are too soft.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
GunXpatriot

Spell it right, everywhere but the title of the thread... Very smart of me!
Old December 7, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
arizona98tj

Quote:
I notice I had a pretty decent bit of copper fouling, even though the gun is relatively new with few rounds through it. Is this normal?
Not uncommon in a new gun. The bore can be a little rough....and so it collects copper at a faster rate than another bore that is smoother or a rifle that has been shot more resulting in a smoother bore.

Some rifles don't exactly like to be 100% free of copper fouling. They can shoot better when they are not "squeaky" clean.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

Guns are like women (and I love'em)

Each gun seems to have its own special quirks. It takes some time and understanding to get things going the way ya want.

Tags
accuracy , copper , fouling