The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
DTrain

Flush Mounted vs Extended Choke?

Is it worth $15 extra to get this one vs this one

Usage would be for converting my 870 turkey gun to a HD gun.

Last edited by DTrain; May 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
zippy13

No one considered using extended choke tubes until sporting clays, with its frequent choke changes, became popular. If you're are going be changing your tubes frequently, can't remember what choke/s you're using, and don't mind altering your gun's swing dynamics, then go for extended tubes. I consider extended tubes unsightly and would pay extra to avoid them. And, I don't have any trouble identifying my screw-ins by their reference marks, so a large label is unnecessary.

For your HD gun, don't you want to keep the barrel as short as possible?
Old May 16, 2012, 01:17 PM   #3
DTrain

Yes keeping it short is a consideration. Also, I don't plan on changing them often, basically it will have the IC choke in it ready for home defense or my turkey choke for a couple weeks a year.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
zippy13

Spend the $15 on ammo.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #5
oneounceload

While I like extended chokes because I shoot sporting clays, for what you are talking about, the flush one should fine
Old May 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
BigJimP

For your intended use...I would just go with the flush chokes...

I like the extended chokes ...for Sporting Clays and in the field ( but honestly, I don't change them that much ).
Old May 16, 2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Anthony66

from a performance perspective I think both are about the same. The extended chokes IMHO diminish the appearance of a nice looking shotgun, but do provide some valuable protection if you are a klutz like me! I'm using Carlson's extended sporting clay chokes on my 20 gauge Citori.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
idek

For a defense gun, I'd stick with flush.

In addition to what zippy listed as benefits, it is my understanding that extended chokes can improve patterns of especially tight chokes because they can taper over a longer distance and cause less deformation (or at least that's the marketing pitch). This may be why turkey chokes (which tend to be very tight) also tend to be extended. I doubt there would be much difference with IC chokes though.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9
DTrain

Thanks guys!
Old May 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Freds484

Never Change Choke Tubes

On all my single barrel shotguns Ithaca Model 37s, Remington 1100s Remington 11-87 Premiers, Remington 870 Wingmasters they all wear the Poly Choke ll.
I can go from X Full to Cylinder Bore with just a few clicks.
I have fired slugs, buckshot, bird shot, steel shot, hevishot and the new Winchester Blind Side out of these chokes with good patterns.
I cannot be bothered changing choke tubes.
People say Poly Chokes are ugly I don't think so I think extended choke tubes are ugly.
Plus if you are switching choke tubes its more tubes to clean.
The Poly cleans 1,2 3.
Each to their own try a shotgun with a Poly Choke before buying one you might like it.
Fred
Old May 18, 2012, 09:36 PM   #11
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
For a defense gun, I'd stick with flush.

In addition to what zippy listed as benefits, it is my understanding that extended chokes can improve patterns of especially tight chokes because they can taper over a longer distance and cause less deformation (or at least that's the marketing pitch). This may be why turkey chokes (which tend to be very tight) also tend to be extended. I doubt there would be much difference with IC chokes though.
+1, I agree with distance being the dealmaker. Oh and I think flush chokes are prettier, but my extended chokes pattern buckshot better at greater than 25 yard distances, its a roll of the dice here.