The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2014, 04:20 AM   #1
Thunderkiss

New A5

I've never owned one of the older Auto-5 shotguns, but when Browning came out with the new A5, I had to get one. I got the A5 Hunter 26" barrel 3" chamber. This is by far the lightest shotgun I own.

So far I've shot it about 30 times. Mostly just shooting at targets in the backyard with different shells. I have to say I thought I was going to hate the invector DS chokes, since I'm used to invector plus, but I was pleasantly surprised with the full choke. It has thrown some very nice patterns for me with several different loads of buck shot and turkey shot. Anybody else picked one up?
Old December 23, 2014, 12:49 AM   #2
bamaranger

no but

Glad you are happy with your new A5. I have always wanted an original or a Rem M11, but never have acquired same. Their link to ol' Browning himself, and their long storied past and vaunted reliability have always intrigued me.
\
If I understand it right, the new A5 is a far cry from the operating system of the older models. And none of the old ones were "light".

The old ones were long stroke recoil operated (?), the new ones have an inertial bolt.........or are the new ones gas guns?

In any event, hope you get good service from your new one.
Old December 23, 2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Virginian

New ones are the inertia system, and have gotten some negative comments in reviews.
Old December 23, 2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Thunderkiss

As Virginian stated they are setup much the same as a benelli with the inertia. The action has worked fine for me. Field stripped it when I got home, cleaned it, and lubed it up and it has run fine with 000 buck to #4 buck, shot some skeet yesterday with 7 1\2 bird shot and still did good.
Old December 24, 2014, 03:56 AM   #5
bamaranger

got it

The inertia guns get good reviews, hopefully your new A5 will follow the same path. Again, good luck with your new Browning.