The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Hayward U. Buzzoff

Advice for SHTF situation...

No, I'm not paranoid, I shoot because I enjoy it. However, I don't like to own anything that isn't multi-purpose and practical (especially things that are expensive such as firearms).

I know this post has been made in general, but I'm looking for specific advice for me, because I'm selfish :-)

Please let me know which one long gun and which one pistol you'd pick from the following list to bring with you if the SHTF (no guarantee you'll be hunkered down or even be able to take your vehicle with you. After some time defending the home, you may have to hump it out of there with all your ammo and weapons on your back). This list is compiled based on 1) I own some of them and 2) we're restricted in California and this is what's available.

Pistol:

1) Subcompact,
2) compact or
3) full-sized
Glock in 9mm

Long Gun:

4) Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
5) M1A Scout rifle w/red-dot or 10x scope
6) M1A fullsize with red dot or 10x scope
7) Kel-tec SU16CA or Mini-14 in .223 with red-dot (can't get other carbines w/ removable mags in CA)
8) bolt action .308 such as Remington or Savage Arms with 10x scope.

So I'd like one long gun, one pistol, (and maybe one more long gun in parenthesis in case somehow I could bring two)

e.g. compact glock, #5, (and #8)

And maybe some explanation.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Hayward U. Buzzoff; February 18, 2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: adding
Old February 18, 2007, 09:14 PM   #2
rickdavis81

I'd bring

my .45 xd and my ar15, but I live in MO not CA. If I was you I'd pick the full size glock and the m1a scout.
Old February 18, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
rantingredneck

OK, given the options you gave I would select the full size Glock (longer sight radius and more rounds in the mag, more controllable under recoil), and either of the .223's (whichever is more accurate, though neither is known to be a tackdriver). I say the .223 simply because you'll be able to carry more ammo due to it's lighter weight per round. The fact that the Keltec would fold would be a good selling point in it's favor for this purpose.

Personally I like the Rem 870 in a tactical/HD configuration, but you have to be willing to pack relatively heavy ammunition and if you're on foot that is less than ideal. Although with a smoothbore barrel it gives you the option of rifled slugs or buckshot which is nice versatility.

IF I were in this situation I would pack my Ruger P89 and my Rem870. If I had time to grab another gun I'd probably take my P90 too. My .30-06 would be tempting but If they're far enough away for that to be useful they're far enough away for me to try to get away first.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 18, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Hayward, but we don't do SHTF, zombie, or TEOTWAWKI threads at TFL. Please read Bud's sticky here. I know it's posted in general discussion, but it applies throughout TFL. In the past, members have started these threads frequently, but even though the original poster had valid questions, they invariably deteriorated into sheer silliness. After closing a flood of these threads, we learned that they only detract from the respectability of TFL. Hope you understand .

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread