The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2014, 02:46 PM   #26
dyl

I reblued a section of my sks - the segment of barrel behind the front sight up to the bayonet lug. I had used the regular old Birchwood casey blueing solution in the past with so-so results - seemed like it just wouldn't take.

But this time with the same bottle it worked well.
What I did different was: degrease by scubbing with detergent and water. Then I dried it, and hit it with something like brake cleaner. Then I ran that section of the barrel under HOT water (faucet in the basement can get pretty darn hot... could have used overflow pressure valve from water heater I suppose) until that whole segment was hot to open up pores, then hit it with brake cleaner again. The metal was bone dry and brake cleaner evaporates quickly. Then I did what others mentioned above by bluing and repeating.

It's worth it to note that Q tips and steel wool will often have its own layer of grease or oil on it which can hamper the process so you may want to hit them with break cleaner too and then let them dry before using or use something else. I don't touch the barrel much so it looks as good as it did last year. Danger is OVER doing it and coming out with a rich deep blue/black when the rest of the gun isn't nearly as blued. Best to stop earlier than too late since you can always revisit and do more. On a less successful note I had tried to reblue a segment of the recoil spring cap at the rear at a single spot. Actually it was a band of rust - perhaps someone had a rubber band on it? This came out splotchy and I should have attempted a larger section at a time so it would blend in better. Good luck.
Old December 4, 2014, 03:06 PM   #27
Skans

Casey Paste Gun Blue. This stuff: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/495...lue-2-oz-paste