The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
R.Lynn

308 brass

I picked up some 308 (actually 7.62 Nato) brass at the range. It seems to be bent on the bottom. I am assuming it was used in a semi auto and it was bent being pulled by the extractor. I thought I would reload it for use in my bolt action. I have only reloaded my own cases in the past. Will it flatten out? Is it worth it? Will it hurt my gun?
Old November 10, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
gearheadpyro

Can we see a pic? Hard to tell without seeing it.
Old November 10, 2009, 07:59 PM   #3
R.Lynn

As much as would like to post a picture on here I am having a hard time getting any of the pictures I am taking to show the problem. They look like they had to be pulled on pretty hard to be removed from the chamber. I will keep working on a pic.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:14 PM   #4
R.Lynn

In this picture you can see the bend on a few of the cases.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0070.jpg (70.1 KB, 86 views)
Old November 10, 2009, 08:35 PM   #5
brmfan

It also looks like the primers are cratered (i.e., high pressure). Maybe the bolt tried to move rearward (I'm also assuming it was a semi-auto that was used based on the nick in the far left case's wall- probably the result of being stripped from a magazine) slightly before the chamber pressure had reduced enough to completely free the case. Hence, the rim may have been bent as seen in the pic. My only guess... Either way, I would toss it rather than risk a case-head separation.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
GeauxTide

High pressure on the primers and hard extraction. Toss them.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Hog Buster

Geaux Tide you make me proud to be a Coonass.... Right on the button..... A bit of high pressure causing hard extraction. Probably out of a dirty chamber.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:18 PM   #8
dardascastbullets

Hi Lynn,

The only way that you will be able to use these cases in your bolt action or any other firearm is to true up the bases using a Wilson Case Trimmer. You will be using it in reverse mode so to speak. The case will be mounted in the Wilson Lathe so that the base is facing the cutter. The cutter is then rotated against the base until there is complete cleanup around the diameter of the base. You have to go easy at this because you only want to true up the base and not remove excess brass. I did this operation to all of my mid to long range brass. It is the only way to get the brass head true to the bolt face. No, you cannot fire form the brass to correct this deformity.

All of what I have offered above is dependent upon how much material has been lifted by the extractor. The cases may not be reusable if there is so much material lifted that it will cause extraction errors in your bolt rifle. You will have to turn a few cases and then insert an empty case into the chamber by hand (do not let the bolt pick up the case from the magazine) so that the extractor is resting on the 'thin' portion of the case. Extract it just as you would do normally. This will tell the tale!

As a side note: The type of extractor is also going to be a deciding factor. Claw type extractors (Model 70's & Springfields) will overcome this condition quite well. Whereas a closed faced extractor such as the Remington 700's are extremely sensitive to rim defects - they are not as forgiving as a claw extractor.

Good luck and good shooting!
Old November 11, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
gearheadpyro

I'm going with high pressure. The primer's look cratered as previously mentioned.
I wouldn't shoot them myself. Scrap 'em.