The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2016, 06:04 PM   #26
1stmar

The pic is rotated 90degrees clockwise. It's dead center for the 2 shot group and about .5" left for the 3 shot group. I always adjust my elevation about 1.5-2" above aiming point so my aiming point stays clean.

I think it was either rifle can't or poor head position. I agree on shooting additional groups. Was curious what others thought I should look for.
Old November 29, 2016, 07:09 AM   #27
David R

Its ONE group. Forget about it and move on. Shoot a few more.

David
Old November 29, 2016, 01:25 PM   #28
1stmar

I think we covered that Dave.
Old November 29, 2016, 02:17 PM   #29
HiBC

I think all of them would pop a prairie dog.

And I think you only have 2 or 3 thousand rounds of that accuracy in that barrel.

Variables? Air. By definition mirage bends light.Its a lot like putting a stick in the water.It looks bent.A carpbowhunter knows he has to shoot where the carp is,not where he appears to be.

How fancy and repeatable is your rest/bag setup? An inch or two different placement,a few ounces variation in pressure on the forend..Is it generously free floated? How perfectly have you found natural point of aim?

I really don't want to pretend to be a good shot.I'm not.
But groups are about comparing a shot in the moment to a shot in the past.

You might think in terms of one shot groups.A history of them.The next 300 shots.How close is each one to where you aimed?That tells you more than three shots,two shots,five shots....

I understand,you got 2 shots realclose,then three shots real close in a different string,and it would be nice,had you shot them all in one string,that they might have all gone in one little cluster.And you are thinking."Shucky darn!!! If only......!!!"

I could cut that out and put it in my wallet.

If that's true,you could just shoot another 5 shot string,all at once.

With no interruption.No problem.

Obviously,its a good rifle,and you are shooting well!!
Old November 29, 2016, 04:53 PM   #30
AllenJ

Agree with this:

Quote:
I think it was either rifle can't or poor head position.
Leaning towards "head position" on this one in my opinion.
Old November 29, 2016, 09:42 PM   #31
1stmar

Hibc appreciate your response and I'm on my third barrel :-) so I recognize the limited number of rounds I have. I have noticed one thing along the lines of your comments, cold barrel first shot is always right on dead center. The barrel is free floated pretty generously.

For clarity my question was never about the group(s) per se. as mentioned in previous posts I shoot groups to get better as a shooter. It's a learning process, I'm always looking to improve and for that reason I shoot multiple calibers and iron sights with the same goal. The post was meant to drive thoughts on what the people who are better shots than I am thought I may be doing wrong. Also as mentioned, there aren't a lot of shooters at my club that I have found to be better shots than I am or I'd be asking them.

I found it unusual that the two groups were so tight yet so far apart. That makes me think my routine, shoulder pressure, trigger control etc is probably pretty good and it's more likely my set up, position or something more static.

Allenj appreciate the response. Definitely something I am going to focus on this weekend. I have loaded additional rounds with the same load but it's not about the load it's about me.
Old December 1, 2016, 07:57 PM   #32
RC20

The problem is you gave us one severely limited sample (could not be more so)

You need a body of work.

No one can tell how good a shooter you are, let alone if the load is any good.

Do 10 shot groups and we can start assessing, minimum is 5 but 10 tells us a lot more about the equipment.