The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2001, 10:41 AM   #1
jgvarno

need lock assy for 58 cal hawken hunter

I have a navy arms hawken hunter in 58 cal.this is a precussion gun but I may agree to change it to flintlock.Navy arms lost the lock and can't find the replacement.The gun has much value to me as I built it in the 70s.I have been told it may use a springfield lock assy.This gun was built to shoot a 825 grain shilo stake buster slug ahead of 225 grains of fffg.(yes I did in my younger foolish days!!)End story,I need a lockor good gun smith.Track of the wolf has locks that I can convert and fit but at this point in time still looking for origional lock.Any comments out there on converting this to a flint lock? Much thanks,Jim Varno
Old November 26, 2001, 11:11 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

225 grains of FF? You were crazier than I was during my youth. Try going to blackpowder shoots where all the sutlers show up. They generally have a boxful of locks and if you bring your stock, you might just find a drop-in.

The annual shoot in Friendship, IN is about the best place to find anything you want.