The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 11, 2008, 09:47 PM   #1
bottom rung

Ruger Old Army Centerfire Cylinders?

Has anyone tried the centerfire .45LC conversion cylinders in their Ruger Old Army? I like Rugers a lot and I was hoping to add one of these conversion cylinders to make the gun more useful. I just want to make sure they are what they say they are. I also want to make sure the gun can handle the modern loadings. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure there other posts like this one, but I didn't have time to search the forum. Thank you.
Old October 12, 2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Raider2000

I don not have a Ruger Old Army but I've done some research into the subject & both Kirst & R&D work as they say they do in that it'll convert your cap & ball revolver to fire .45 Colt metalic cartridges that is loaded to cowboy pressures.

The Cylinders are rated to & waranteed to light cowboy loads or under 800 fps., you can load these with Trail Boss or Black Powder "which is popular" to the very closely reflect what the orriginal loading was & still be under the rated pressures.
Old October 12, 2008, 06:53 AM   #3
sundance44s

I own 2 ROA`S with R&D conversion cylinders ..the Rugers seem to shoot the 45 LC better than my other conversion pistols ( several Remingtons )..To me they are well worth the bucks ..These Rugers are built like a tank ..and the conversion cylinders are American made ..good steel 4140 grade ....I never shoot the +P ammo in them because the Cylinder chamber walls are not as thick as a revolver chambered for the 44 mag or the guns chambered for the + P 45 loads if you want 44 mag get a Super Black Hawk ...but with standard factory 45 loads ..not a problem . The ROA is built on the BlackHawk frame ..built for 357 mag loads so these pictols will take it ...I use much lighter loads in my conversion Remingtons ....( Itilian steel ) ..even though the cylinders are American made ...the Remingtons just aren`t built as tough as the Ruger . The weight of the ROA handles the recoil of the 45 colt loads well...they are a pleasure to shoot...I shoot black powder and smokeless loads in mine ..never a problem with eaither ....it does help to reload ...45`s are getting expencive ...I do realod and keep pressures moderate as suggested in the instructions with the cylinders ...it`s the chamber wall thickness you have to worrie about , not the steel .
Old October 22, 2008, 08:27 PM   #4
drdirk

Sundance44s is right. They work great. I shoot my conversion cylinder a lot and never had a problem. I also reload and find that it pretty forgiving on which powder you use as long as it is not too hot of a load. Get's lots of attention at the range.

It is expensive but in the "old days" I was able to find cylinders used on ebay for around $200 in like new condition.
Old October 28, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
bottom rung

I completely forgot about this post. Sorry guys. Thank you for the info, though. One question, how do they load and unload the shells? I can't figure that one out yet. Thanks again, Steve
Old October 29, 2008, 04:25 AM   #6
Raider2000

I know that the R&D cylinders you would have to remove the cylinder from the frame & remove the rear cover plate that houses the firing pins & a locating notch, then insert the 5-6 rounds into the cylinder reinsert the plate "it only goes on one way" & then reinsert the cylinder assembly into the frame of your pistol.