The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2002, 10:45 AM   #1
BluRidgDav

.58 caliber musket as a 24 guage shotgun ?

I hunt an area that has alot of squirrels, but rifles of any kind are prohibited. Blasting them with a 12 guage semi-auto doesn't appeal to me. So, before I spend another $500 on a double-barreled ML shotgun or flintlock fowler;

Anyone ever used a .58 caliber rifled musket as a 24 guage shotgun? My barrel is twisted very shallow & slow (1/72-80") so I don't think? the pellets will spin-out too bad. Lack of choke will probably also limit my range, but, how far? 20-25yds would be OK.

Anything else that might make this a bad idea?

Also, I'm having trouble finding .58 caliber / 24 guage wads to test my theory.

Thanx, Dave.
Old February 14, 2002, 12:59 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've fired some shotloads out of my .50 TC Renegade flinter.

Results weren't at all good.

Your best bet is to take it to the range and try patterning it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 14, 2002, 01:38 PM   #3
Salt

You got a great excuse to buy another gun. It may mean putting in some overtime in at work for the extra cash, but you will be glad you did when you take your ML shotgun or fowler home from the local gunshop.
Old February 14, 2002, 08:39 PM   #4
ed mason

You might want to think about a 20 gauge because wads are all over the place.Ck out www.trackofthewolf.com

They have the best source of wads out there.

Also if you where thinking about shooting shot out of a already existing rifled muzzleloader forget about it.Patterns will stink big
time.The rifling puts a weird spin on the wad and causes the pattern to have a typical donut effect.That means all of your shot
is scattered outside of the center and there is a big hole in the center like a donut.
I have had a lot of experience shooting shotguns and just recently got a dbl barrel 12 gauge for turkey's.One thing you will find
out real quick is that fiber wads do not want to go down a barrel that has been choked very easily .For your squirrel hunting I
would suggest that you use plastic wads or go with a gun that has a open or Imp cly choke system.

I hope this can help you!
Old December 20, 2015, 08:49 PM   #5
TC BEAR

24 Gauge/.58 caliber

I have a .58 cal. C.S. Richmond that I am about to start using as a shotgun. The difference between your musket and mine is that mine is smoothbore.
You can get the wads you need from a shop called Dixon's in Pennsylvania. (They have a web site.)
As to rifling, I agree with the others.
Think of it this way: What is the purpose of rifling? [It's to make the projectile rotate.]
Now, take a cup or bowl of water and start to swirl it. What's going to happen when the water swirls over the rim?
Same thing is going to happen with a bunch of shot exiting your muzzle.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:04 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd try to find an old muzzle loader that was converted to smoothbore.
Old December 20, 2015, 10:22 PM   #7
swathdiver

If rifles of any kind are illegal, then shot or not, it seems to me that you would be using an illegal weapon to harvest game. You got rifling, you got a rifle.

Get the rifling out of the barrel and make it a true smoothy or get a smoothy barrel for it.

Am I missing something?
Old December 20, 2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Hawg

The shot will follow the rifling and give a donut shaped pattern. The greater the range the bigger the hole in the middle.