The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
wllfthn

XDs

To buy or not to buy...that is the question.

My LGS just emailed me saying they have one in stock. Been waiting to get one for awhile.

Should I pull the trigger?! It is priced AWFULLY high..$700.00
Old March 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Ferretboy

I have the XDm in .45acp, its a great gun. Been thinking of trading it in for something else not because its not a great gun, just changing tastes and getting into reloading and want to cut back on how many calibers I have.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
kimbershot

i can't believe what people are paying for guns. i bought a xds on gunbroker new for 519.00 delivered + 20.00 transfer fee last fall. also bought a ruger s/s mark 3 target for 424. (saw g/b auction for 680. the other day). ouch, ouch! would i pay 700. for an xds--don't think so.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Gaerek

Unless you have a need for it right now, I'd wait. That's an incredibly high price for the gun. You shouldn't pay more than about $550 for it, and even then I think that's a bit high. Wait it out, if you can.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
gregdry

Agreed, that's too high - especially if it's the all black model. I paid 540.00 OTD for my bi-tone one, brand new, at the gun show near our home in December 2012. The all black should run around 499.00 + tax on a "normal" day. Suggestion: take some time and search the net; you'll find a large variance in the prices, but you'll be an informed consumer! All the best!
Old March 9, 2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Lemmon

I paid the price but have not regretted it

I paid the price but have not regretted it. It is a very nice pistol with an excellent trigger. Got two five round mags from Brownells today. $5 shipping not bad. I have owned a number of pistols over the years including 1911's and I am really amazed at the trigger that my XDs has. I may have lucked out with that pistols trigger..

The guy at the gun shop did give me a 50 round box of 230 gr FMJ. I just asked him and ask me if I was demanding the ammo. I said no but I thought that would be great if he did. He reached over and handed me a box smiled and told me to have a great day. Plan to start reloading some 200 gr SWC tomorrow.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina.....
Old March 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Nathan

Frankly, not worth $700.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:34 AM   #8
justplainpossum

I just bought mine for $700. After I decided that that was the one I wanted, it was frustrating that the range didn't have it available. I started calling around and hitting the different gun stores in the city, and I couldn't find one, and of course couldn't order one, with the waiting lists and all. Then the next morning I lucked out; I checked back with one of the stores, and they had just gotten two in that morning. They were kind enough to hold one for me. It's a two-tone, it came with two magazines and an ammo loader and a holster, and I'm very glad that I got it!
Old March 9, 2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Lemmon

Gosh, JustplainPossum, I need to look in my box again.... I just grabbed the pistol and the two magazines and closed it up. I did not know it had a loader in there also.

Just another thought. So you paid $50 more well you got the pistol and that's only just $1.00 a week for one year.... I glad I went ahead a got mine. Mine is also a two toner.... Loading 200 gr SWC today. Having fun with my XDS

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old March 9, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Kevin_d77

She got the XDm, not xds. If you're patient I have seen them for 530 shipped online 3 separate times this week.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
wllfthn

I ended up making some calls yesterday before I made the purchase and another one of the shops near my home had the all black for 549.99. Though that is still pretty high, in today's market I was okay with the price.

Went and bought it and 100 rounds for 615 and some change out the door.

Happy camper! Planning to send the slide off to James to have a bit of custom work done to it. Can't wait! I'll post some before and after pictures after it is finished!
Old March 9, 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
justplainpossum

Lemmon, it also came with a choice of two other back pieces, and a belt attachment for the magazines. All around, pretty darn nifty!
Old March 9, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
k511

paid 499 OTD for my XDs .45acp.....personally i would never pay over 550 for one, just my 2 cents....for 700 you should be able to find a nicer firearm, i would suggest HK or sig if your going to spend that muuch
Old March 9, 2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

I paid $519 for mine in November. At $700 I would pass. but then again, it is a new world out there.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #15
WildmanWilson

If someone is really wanting it then they can pay it if they like. I wouldn't do it on principle alone. Been wanting a M&P shield but I will wait until they are more available. My LGS has them for $374 but you have to be lucky to get one. I see them online for almost double that on the auction sites. I don't need any gun so much that I will pay double its value. Person decision I guess.
Old March 9, 2013, 10:44 PM   #16
bikerbill

I got mine about a month ago, paid $550 ... I love it, wonderful gun, perfect size for carry, haven't tried it in a pocket yet ... very accurate, easy to shoot, no failures in 100 rds ... can't believe the price could jump that much ... I didn't really even have to wait; ordered it over the phone and it was in within a few days ...

didn't think the XDs came with a loader; I think it's the only XD that doesn't ... got one with my XDm-9

With the XDs I got a paddle holster, two-mag belt holder ...
Old March 14, 2013, 06:14 PM   #17
LJOHNS

Price

my local Cabelas has a bi-tone XDs on hand today and it was $619. I almost bought it.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:21 PM   #18
kayakersteve

xDS ... a great gun

My take....the XDS is a great gun and super small for a 45. Yes, 700 is high, but......how ad do you want it? Can you afford it? This frenzy is likely going to last longer than past because multiple states are involved or considering new laws, plus the Feds are at it. You won't regret the purchase, even at that price. I absolutely love mine.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Gaerek

But there are no state or federal laws or bills, that I'm aware of that will ban that gun specifically...

People are being silly and paying way too much for things because they are panicking. It will be over soon...we're already starting to see it slow down. $700 is just too much for that gun.

If you absolutely must have it, then I suppose get it, but if it can wait...then just wait or look elsewhere.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:42 PM   #20
dayman

$700 does seem high, but guns tend to cost more in some areas than others too. I payed about $650 for mine when all was said and done, and got as good a deal as was available locally.
For me, ordering online, waiting, and driving an hour both ways to a shop with cheap transfer fees seemed like it would be more than $100 worth of hassle. Just because *someone* got it for a crazy deal doesn't mean you'd get the same deal even when the market's normal.
Ask around locally - see what else you can get for the money, and then decide what works for you.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Doyle

My hunting buddy has an XDM .45. He loves how accurate it is. I didn't like it as much because the grips are a bit too thick for my hands.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:38 PM   #22
Lemmon

Enjoying my XDs

I took my XDs out today and bounced a coke can on the ground a number of times without fail. I do like the trigger. It is a delight that I now have this little pistol and can play with it in my back yard.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina......
Old March 14, 2013, 10:54 PM   #23

Congrats to you guys on getting the XDs. They are very popular, obviously, at XD Talk for the guys that are CC'ing with them. If your not a member, stop by and register and join the forum.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:37 AM   #24
odugrad

I say go for it. I just picked up a Sig M11-A1. I didn't have the money for it, either. But years from now, you're not going to look back and say, "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought that XDs". And you can't go wrong with any of the XD series. I love mine.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:22 PM   #25
7jinxed7

I would wait till the price comes down.