The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2016, 07:44 PM   #1
FiveInADime

Gonna buy a Savage 11 Trophy Predator Hunter .223...

Maybe...

I'm thinking about picking one of these up this week and I want to know a few things before I do.

My primary purpose is to shoot for fun in the desert at milk jugs and jackrabbits and coyotes. Secondary purpose: zombie assault rifle.

- Does anyone have one and how does it shoot?
- It's a 1:9" twist what bullets can I shoot well
- Does anyone wanna buy that Nikon scope from me with the dumb varmint reticle?
- Should I go with another gun in .223 around the same price ($550)?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old April 11, 2016, 09:15 PM   #2
tahoe2

Not much knowledge here on that caliber, but I believe the slower the twist, the heavier bullets will stabilize better.
Old April 11, 2016, 09:48 PM   #3
taylorce1

The faster the twist the longer and usually heavier bullet will be stabalized. Bullets made of a single/mono metal such as copper, guilding metal, or brass are the exception to the heavier bullet rule needing the faster twist. Right now I think I'd pick the Ruger American Predator rifle with its 1:8 twist which would grant you the widest range of bullets to use. Plus the Ruger doesn't come with a scope, and runs about $420 locally for the Predator version, cheaper if you want the standard American or compact versions.

However, I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Savage either.
Old April 11, 2016, 09:55 PM   #4
reynolds357

I thought the rifle was a 10 and not an 11. Anyway, I have the 10 predator in 6.5X284. It can be 1/2 minute on its good days.
Old April 11, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I thought the rifle was a 10 and not an 11. Anyway, I have the 10 predator in 6.5X284. It can be 1/2 minute on its good days.
This is a cheaper version. It's not the 10 Predator. The barrel isn't as heavy, it doesn't have the Accustock, cheaper DBM.

Old April 13, 2016, 11:08 PM   #6
Lange

1-9 is a good twist to best both of lighter and heavier loads. Can shoot about 45-70 depending. Is my own favorite .223 twist. Nice choice should be a good gun for you. I wouldn't go with a heavier twist unless you really lean toward heavier bullets. For hunting predator and varmint isn't ideal to be optimized for heavier Milspec rounds. I personally only shoot over 60 grain for longer range target but that's my preference. 45-55 is my typical range. I'm actually looking at a T/C venture for a 12 twist to stabilize 40s and run 2 .223s
Old April 15, 2016, 07:41 AM   #7
upstate81

Model 11 trophy hunter

I have that rifle in .223. I shot it for over a year with that nikon scope although i did upgrade the mounts/rings. I have shot 45 grain up to 72 grain with pretty good results. Even with 7.50 a box pmc i get 1.5 in groups at 100. For good accuracy i like the 55 grain hornady spire point rounds. I even shot a doe at about 80 yards with a 55 grain winchester soft point and down she went.
I paid 499 and sold the scope for 100 bucks so im not too invested in a great shooting gun. I did adjust the trigger as low as i could. Wish it went a little more but still good. One caution i will throw out is restocking this gun is kind of a pain because you have to purchase bottom metal and options are limited. If you have any thoughts of that get a 10 or 700 instead. I just painted my stock to my liking and moved on.
Old April 16, 2016, 10:05 AM   #8
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate81 View Post
I have that rifle in .223. I shot it for over a year with that nikon scope although i did upgrade the mounts/rings. I have shot 45 grain up to 72 grain with pretty good results. Even with 7.50 a box pmc i get 1.5 in groups at 100. For good accuracy i like the 55 grain hornady spire point rounds. I even shot a doe at about 80 yards with a 55 grain winchester soft point and down she went.
I paid 499 and sold the scope for 100 bucks so im not too invested in a great shooting gun. I did adjust the trigger as low as i could. Wish it went a little more but still good. One caution i will throw out is restocking this gun is kind of a pain because you have to purchase bottom metal and options are limited. If you have any thoughts of that get a 10 or 700 instead. I just painted my stock to my liking and moved on.
How limited?

I was thinking of a transformation in the future if I bought this gun. Could I buy a blind magazine stock and a follower that would work?

If the barrel doesn't shoot (meaning if I can't find a .5 MOA load) I'm ordering a barrel in .223AI throated for long bullets. My main interest for this rifle is long-range plinking.

Old April 16, 2016, 12:28 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveInADime
How limited?

I was thinking of a transformation in the future if I bought this gun. Could I buy a blind magazine stock and a follower that would work?

If the barrel doesn't shoot (meaning if I can't find a .5 MOA load) I'm ordering a barrel in .223AI throated for long bullets. My main interest for this rifle is long-range plinking.
Yes you could buy all the parts for a blind magazine, but I have to ask why? The 4.40" centerfeed rifle stocks made for bench or prone bipod shooting aren't all that hard to come by. Boyd's, Choate, Hogue, B&C, HS Precision, Manners, and McMillan all have options that can be made to work with your factory bottom metal. When it comes to hunting rifle stocks, your options become far more limited for the centerfeed rifles.
Old April 16, 2016, 09:59 PM   #10
upstate81

If thats your end goal research some other options. There are easier routes with more options.
Old April 16, 2016, 10:45 PM   #11
FiveInADime

Quote:
If thats your end goal research some other options. There are easier routes with more options.
Well, I bought the rifle today with a 6-24, Viper PST to put on it.

If it shoots .75-.5" groups the way it is I'll leave it alone, most likely. If not, then I can figure out my options. Whatever happens I'll be playing around with it for a while to see what it will do.

Somehow my background check got flagged so I have to wait 5 days, I guess. It's been a long time since I bought a gun didn't even know this was a possibility.

Old April 17, 2016, 09:55 AM   #12
upstate81

Nice choice

I think your going to enjoy it, very nice scope choice by the way. Be sure to give a range update! I have been delayed on nics checks before which sucks.
Old April 17, 2016, 10:40 AM   #13
FiveInADime

Quote:
I think your going to enjoy it, very nice scope choice by the way. Be sure to give a range update! I have been delayed on nics checks before which sucks.
Thanks. I got a smoking deal ($450) on that scope.

I actually like sporter stocks with heavy barrels. I know it's not as functional, generally, as a wide forend stock with heavy rifles but I just like the aesthetic. Like the Kimber Longmaster rifles.

My .260 has a 26" varmint taper barrel in a walnut Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock. It's not the greatest balance in the hand but I didn't intend to shoot it offhand. Hopefully I can set up QD rings in a way that works for my .260 and new .223 so I don't have to buy another scope. I doubt it will work on 2 different actions, however.

Old April 17, 2016, 10:42 AM   #14
FiveInADime

I almost bought a box of 500 69gr Sierra Match Kings but I thought better of it, lol. Need to try some bullets out and see what works first.

Old April 18, 2016, 06:04 AM   #15
upstate81

Those Sierras wouldnt be a bad bench mark. Maybe get some lighter pills and work up. I personally l like the balance of this set up. Points naturally and isnt too whippy trying to shoot off hand.
Old April 23, 2016, 10:59 AM   #16
FiveInADime

Quote:
Those Sierras wouldnt be a bad bench mark. Maybe get some lighter pills and work up. I personally l like the balance of this set up. Points naturally and isnt too whippy trying to shoot off hand.
I should have bought that box of 500 69gr SMK. It likes them a lot via Federal Gold Medal Match.

75gr Hornady BTHP Match Ammo was ok 1"-1.5". I could probably load that bullet to work well although the factory load was HOT and it left some extractor smears on the head stamp.